PDA

View Full Version : Compound Miter settings for Bar Rail

Tom Harlow
02-20-2005, 8:40 AM
:confused: I am building a basement bar and I am currently frustrated with how to cut the bar rail. I am a newbe to woodworking, especially these type of projects. I am trying to wrap the rail around a 45 degree corner. The 22.5 cut makes sence but I have no idea how to figure the second angle. :confused:

Mike Cutler
02-20-2005, 9:59 AM
Tom Welcome to Sawmill Creek. I'm not sure if you have given us all the info. If you are trying to miter a 45 deg angle into 2 equal angles 22.5 deg is correct for both angles. The spatial relationship though is one 22.5 deg angle and one 167.5 deg angle from a reference point that would extend beyond the edge of the 45 deg angle and parallel to the front of the bar. One more way to look at is draw a line perpindicular to the reference of the front rail at the point that the 45 deg angle will be. You end up with 90-45+22.5 or 67.5deg. Hope this helps, and welcome to Sawmill Creek

Tom Harlow
02-20-2005, 10:16 AM
Thanks for the comments. Actually, the angle I am having trouble with is the compound angle. The bar rail came milled with a nice lip that allows the rail to sit on the bar top while protruding down and away from the bar top. See below:http://www.gardenstatelumber.com/assets/images/BarRail.gif

Per Swenson
02-20-2005, 10:37 AM
I think I can help. I build bars. If your barrail is like the picture below, make a jig exactly the way the barrail sits on the bar. These corners were cut at 22.5. Before the advent of titebond 3 we used epoxy and simply glued the
mitre together. With either of these glues it will not come apart.
This is not recomended when joining two pieces to form a long section, here
use the jig again and scarf at a 45. The second picture is the proper angle of the bar rail to the bar top. So all you need is a mdf L shaped jig to represent your bar top and you should be fine. I hope this helps. Per

Per Swenson
02-20-2005, 10:49 AM
Sorry that picture was horrible. Maybe this will work. Feel free to email me if you have any questions. Per

Mike Cutler
02-20-2005, 10:58 AM
Ahh. Now I understand. Do a google search on compound miter angles. I am going to copy a link to some articles from the old Badger Pond. They are on the Wood Central website.

Tom Harlow
02-20-2005, 6:08 PM
Thanks guys. Per, the jig worked great. As a someone new to woodworking I am still learning the leason that time invested up front pays dividends in the end. (Especially when the bar rail costs $13.00 lf.) Ken, I am a CPA and deal with financial calculations all the time - but I am nowhere near smart enough to understand those miter angle charts. Thanks for your time.