PDA

View Full Version : Burl cutting party in Ga....

Russell Eaton
08-11-2011, 7:58 AM
I recently got a myrtle burl and only have 1 problem. I have a 18" husky chain saw and would like to have some help cutting it up before it gets ruined. I have it wrapped in a tarp and duct tapped closed, but I know it won't last forever. I have a couple of chains for my saw, and just want some help. I will split the cutting with any people that show to help. I live 30 min. from Atlanta, and we can access the burl with a truck. We may even need a log splitter to do the initial cuttings. This burl is LARGE I will include a picture. I would like to do this when the weather starts to cool off a little, maybe late Sep. or Oct. Any takers? If you live farther away it is fine we will probably do a burger or something as well. I know this has some rocks and sand in it. I had 1 fly up and hit me in the Facemask while turning a piece a while back.

Bill Bulloch
08-11-2011, 8:11 AM
I'll help -- PM sent.

charlie knighton
08-11-2011, 10:10 AM
i wish-----but you are on wrong side of Atlanta and Charlotte

where did you find myrtle in Georgia???

Russell Eaton
08-11-2011, 10:40 AM
Charlie it came from California. A friend had it shipped here. I want 2 pieces, one for myself and I want to make a bowl or hollow form for his wife.

John Keeton
08-11-2011, 11:13 AM
Russell, sure wish I was closer! That is one awesome looking piece of wood.

charlie knighton
08-11-2011, 11:24 AM
Russell, enjoy, i have only turned one piece of myrtle and not a burl but it was a pleasure, yall have fun

Steve Busey
08-11-2011, 11:49 AM
Wish I had a decent chainsaw... looks like good stuff.

Jim Underwood
08-11-2011, 9:52 PM
I think my Stihl is the same size as yours, but I got it from a fellow that needed a large red oak cut up. It was every bit of 36 inch diameter, but I managed to get it cut up, and tote home my "new" saw...
I wouldn't mind having some myrtle burl my own self... and I don't think I'm too far away. Dunno how much help my saw will be...

Steve Mellott
08-14-2011, 9:57 PM
Russell: Let me know when you want to cut this up and I can help. I think you already have my phone number.

Steve Mellott