PDA

View Full Version : Remember your first turning? Still have it?

Jerry Wright
08-10-2011, 8:57 PM
I am fortunate to have my first turning – from about 52years ago! I thought I would share it. This is a walnut/maple glue up, 10”dia. X 5-1/2” tall. It was turned on a face plate on a very old high school shop lathe (Rockwell I think). I didn’t know anything about chucks then – they were for metal lathes!) It is finished with a 3 step varnish finish (no longer produced) made by General Finishes called their 1-2-3 finish. The bowl has been in use as a decorator with wooden fruit in it for 50+ years – pretty durable finish, don’t ya think?
Anyone else care to share their first or offer your memories.
Jerry

Tim Thiebaut
08-10-2011, 9:00 PM
My very first was last Dec, post is here with pics...

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?155120-My-first-turning-Rosewood-Box&highlight=

Harvey Ghesser
08-10-2011, 9:32 PM
Hi Jerry,
Yes, I remember my first turning and it wasn't a bowl. All I had was a 2 X 4 and as anxious as I was, I chucked it up and turned it round. I still have it and will use it as a weapon if I have to!:mad: That was a bit less than three years ago.

Nice work as a teen ager, Jerry!:D

Curt Fuller
08-10-2011, 9:43 PM
And still pretty after all these years!

David E Keller
08-10-2011, 9:46 PM
That's neat, Jerry! Looks like it's still got the green felt on the bottom to cover the screw holes!

My first turning was a slimline pen, and it's long since been lost or discarded. My first bowl was done at a Woodcraft class, and it was confiscated by my mother... Trust me, it was a bowl that only a mother could love.

Jim Burr
08-10-2011, 10:07 PM
My first keeper is up in the bathroom with a candle in it...my 3rd try and was so tired of blowing out the bottoms that I slapped on a piece of redwood and made a fun base!! It really has a nice shape to it...but I think my wife is being kind by keeping it ;-o

Steve Vaughan
08-10-2011, 10:10 PM
My first turning was in the 7th grade in shop. Stacked up 3/4" pine boards glued up and turned to about a 10" diameter bowl, 7" high. I've still got it, but will have to dig it out to get a pic. Somewhere around 40 years ago. My second turning in that same class was a small ashtray with a sheet metal insert in the bottom so I'd have one to use at home. Painted it red, white, and blue cause I was a cool, patriotic, redneck punk.

Jamie Donaldson
08-10-2011, 10:39 PM
204667I still have mine Jerry, and it looks somewhat similar to yours? High school shop class, 1959!

James Combs
08-10-2011, 11:02 PM
I am fortunate to have my first turning – from about 52years ago! I thought I would share it. This is a walnut/maple glue up, 10”dia. X 5-1/2” tall. It was turned on a face plate on a very old high school shop lathe (Rockwell I think). I didn’t know anything about chucks then – they were for metal lathes!) It is finished with a 3 step varnish finish (no longer produced) made by General Finishes called their 1-2-3 finish. The bowl has been in use as a decorator with wooden fruit in it for 50+ years – pretty durable finish, don’t ya think?

Anyone else care to share their first or offer your memories.
Jerry

I still have mine Jerry, and it looks somewhat similar to yours? High school shop class, 1959!

My first was also in shop class probably sometime in the late 50s or early 60s, I graduated in 64 but I don't remember what year I had shop class, anyway my was very similar to you guys in that it was a walnut/maple glue up. It was about a 14-16" platter. Mom kept fruit in it the last I remember. I don't have any idea what happened to it though. The last time I remember seeing it, it had a stain in the middle and the finish was de-laminating. It probably got tossed while I was away in the Navy to Nam. The walnut/maple glue up must have been real popular back then.

Jerry Wright
08-10-2011, 11:20 PM
I love all of the references to high school shop!! My dad was a high school shop teacher. I grew up following him around the combined wood/machine/weld shop. He had no home shop, so he (we) spent a lot of evenings and weekends working in the shop on his own projects as well as prepping for the next day's classes. He always made sure that I had something to work on. He made a lot of glued up blocks. He loved to make checkerboard style bowls and candle sticks with 3/8" - 1/2" square sticks in alternating walnut and maple. I have always viewed my bowl as kind of simple because it is just boards glued together. He used to rave about white glue (there was still a hide glue pot in the shop) and GF 1-2-3 finish, because they made it so much easier for students to produce a good project with a fool-proof finish. One reason my bowl looks good is that nothing left his shop, that didn't look good. That meant his students (or I) worked on their projects until they looked acceptable. I swear I can still remember sanding this one!! He used to have a saying that if projects went out of the shop looking lousy, then folks in town would say "Wright can't teach".

Unfortunately, most highschools these days have eliminated their shops and related programs. There are no students (boys, girls, college bound, or junior rocket scientists) who would not benefit from a wood, machine, weld shop or drafting class.
Jerry

Paulo Marin
08-10-2011, 11:20 PM
I was hooked the moment I held it in my hands... Still caress it sometimes while drinking a pint of Maharaja :rolleyes:
Most importantly... turned it on my own...(must confess I was scared...)
Paulo Marin

Ted Calver
08-10-2011, 11:28 PM
Shop class in '57-'58. It was a bonker in white pine with a linseed oil finish that never dried and left an oil ring everywhere it touched. Ended up being used to subdue fish at the family camp in Canada. Lost it when the camp was sold.

John Keeton
08-11-2011, 7:12 AM
No shop class here! In eastern KY, we barely had schools - much less shop!!

September 26, 2009, posted right here on the creek! A poplar prototype for a set of walnut legs for a table I was building - it is still lying on a shelf in the shop.

I blame all you guys here for the lack of flatwork production - and, Ms. Keeton ain't too happy with you, either!! So much for all that furniture I was going to build in retirement!:rolleyes:

Steve Vaughan
08-11-2011, 7:55 AM
John, we (or, at least, I) hereby grant you permission to go right ahead and complete that table. As clearly shown in your picture, it is related to turning and not altogether flatwork. How cool would it be to bring those things back to the completed project?

John Keeton
08-11-2011, 8:29 AM
Steve, I actually did complete the table (with four walnut legs!) - the last piece of flatwork to come out of my shop! Well, I guess that piece was a "transitional" piece, since it involved turning!

Russell Eaton
08-11-2011, 10:03 AM
John at least you went out with style. I also have my first turning. It was a slimline. I turned it at the wood show 3 years ago. It was the ugliest thing you could imagine. 4 lathes later and several thousand dollars... the vortex just keeps calling.

Bill Wiggins
08-11-2011, 1:26 PM
My first turnings were replacement spindles for my oak dining room chairs. The old ones were chewed by our puppy, at the time.

This project allowed me to purchase the Jet Midi Lathe, since the cost of fixing the chairs, from the original vendor, was more than the cost of a lathe and oak blanks. I knew that dog was good for something!:)

Robert Newton
08-11-2011, 2:56 PM
I am a retired shop teacher and hate to see schools closing up their shops, not everyone is going to college and there are many practical things to learn. It forced you to plan and think through the process.

John Pratt
08-11-2011, 4:44 PM
7th grade shop class, walnut table leg replacement for a broken one on my grandmothers antique dining table. My parents still have the table. Not quite as long ago as some of you, but seems like ages ago to me (33 yrs). I actually went the other way and did more flat work, but the vortex is calling me back and other than the stuff I do for work, it is all I get done. As long as we're blaming people, I blame Michael James.

Bernie Weishapl
08-11-2011, 4:45 PM
Yes I remember. It was a lidded box and I still have it or I should say the wife has it somewhere. Here it is.

Jerry Wright
08-11-2011, 4:59 PM
John - nice legs! (don't get concerned!!) I really like the square to octagon to round transitions. Very nice. Thanks for sharing.

Jerry Wright
08-11-2011, 5:01 PM
Bernie - I really like the shape and especially your use of the burn lines. Wood grain in the top is really nice!

John Keeton
08-11-2011, 5:38 PM
As long as we're blaming people, I blame Michael James.As good a scapegoat as one could find, I suspect!!:D MJ is pretty good at getting folks sucked into the vortex!

Dennis Simmons
08-11-2011, 7:00 PM
No shop class here! In eastern KY, we barely had schools - much less shop!!

September 26, 2009, posted right here on the creek! A poplar prototype for a set of walnut legs for a table I was building - it is still lying on a shelf in the shop.

I blame all you guys here for the lack of flatwork production - and, Ms. Keeton ain't too happy with you, either!! So much for all that furniture I was going to build in retirement!:rolleyes:

I can relate , I got a job making hymnal racks for a church, " FLAT WORK " I today after 2 weeks turned a toy spin top, it felt so good, and was the most true running top I have made. I can not remember anything I did in shop at school, but I have lathed off and on for 50 years. Most work was replacement parts for furniture. Flat work SUCKS.:)

Dennis Simmons
08-11-2011, 7:15 PM
I love all of the references to high school shop!! My dad was a high school shop teacher. I grew up following him around the combined wood/machine/weld shop. He had no home shop, so he (we) spent a lot of evenings and weekends working in the shop on his own projects as well as prepping for the next day's classes. He always made sure that I had something to work on. He made a lot of glued up blocks. He loved to make checkerboard style bowls and candle sticks with 3/8" - 1/2" square sticks in alternating walnut and maple. I have always viewed my bowl as kind of simple because it is just boards glued together. He used to rave about white glue (there was still a hide glue pot in the shop) and GF 1-2-3 finish, because they made it so much easier for students to produce a good project with a fool-proof finish. One reason my bowl looks good is that nothing left his shop, that didn't look good. That meant his students (or I) worked on their projects until they looked acceptable. I swear I can still remember sanding this one!! He used to have a saying that if projects went out of the shop looking lousy, then folks in town would say "Wright can't teach".

Unfortunately, most highschools these days have eliminated their shops and related programs. There are no students (boys, girls, college bound, or junior rocket scientists) who would not benefit from a wood, machine, weld shop or drafting class.
Jerry

I still remember school wood shop in Jr. high school, the wood lathes were placed, on the wall with the old iron windows, there were holes in the glass where the turning tools went through the windows, I can still see this in my mind, I have always wondered about the autos in the street by the windows. :D

Jim Underwood
08-11-2011, 9:47 PM
I turned my first bowl in Jr. High. My Dad ran across it some months ago, and now can't put his hands on it again. I was hoping he'd send it on...

It was probably ugly as sin, but it was my first and I'd kinda like to have it... If I ever get hold of it, I'll post a picture...

Greg Just
08-11-2011, 10:34 PM
my first turning was a bowl from some gum that was recovered after Katrina. It is about 7 inches in diameter and 2 inches high.