PDA

View Full Version : Unknown Burl found on my property

Ed Morgano
08-10-2011, 6:13 PM
This is something that I found laying on the ground. I have no idea what it was but it looked like a burl (it was lumpy) so I chucked it up and decided to see what it would turn out like. I want to thank John Keeton for his help with this. I sent him some preliminary pictures of the finial and he critiqued it for me. It was a great help!
The first picture shows it chucked in the lathe. The second is a closeup of the new finial idea that I had. The third shows the first color that I used. I didn't like the red because it muted the figure in the burl so I decided to try blue instead.

Chucked in Lathe......................New Finial Idea....................First Color................ Almost Finished

C&C Needed and most welcome. Thanks for looking.

Roger Chandler
08-10-2011, 6:18 PM
Way to go Ed! Gettin' all artsy on us, aren'tcha now?! VERY NICE!!! :D;)

Mark Hubl
08-10-2011, 7:04 PM
Nice Ed. Came out well, lot going on. Form and finish look good.

Sid Matheny
08-10-2011, 8:26 PM
I really like this one Ed. Great shape all the way around. Wish I could forn some FOG wood like that!:)

Sid

Bernie Weishapl
08-10-2011, 8:53 PM
Really nice Ed. Like the form and finish looks good.

Harvey Ghesser
08-10-2011, 9:17 PM
You did good, Ed! I love the finial and the muted green color is very classy! It goes very well with the coloring of the inside. It's very beautiful.

charlie knighton
08-10-2011, 9:43 PM
Ed, nice piece, like the finial and collar, like your blue/green bettter than the red, but the finial draws the eye, have not seen one like that

David E Keller
08-10-2011, 9:54 PM
Nicely done, Ed! I like the finial style a lot... I'd consider making that top element a tiny bit smaller, but that's a pretty small nit to pick. I think you made the most of that burl, and I like that you left the inside natural. Thanks for sharing!

John Keeton
08-10-2011, 9:54 PM
Ed, it turned out great!!! You did a really neat job with the dye, and the "final finial" works very well. Excellent work on the pedestal, too.

A winner!!!

Jim Burr
08-10-2011, 10:03 PM
I'm kinda lumpy, but it looks like a burl! And it looks really cool too!

Jon Nuckles
08-10-2011, 10:26 PM
Nice evolution from that ugly lump of wood to that purty final piece.

Ed Morgano
08-11-2011, 12:38 AM
Thanks to everyone for your kind words...........I'm getting a patent on that finial! Haha. I, like everyone who starts out, have just been trying to hone my skills, get the right tools etc. and trying to make some of the things that I've seen. Notice I said some..... I have seen things here and elsewhere that I could never top or even do a decent job of trying to make something similar. There is an amazing pool of talent in the turning community and I'm still amazed. I got into turning this year in hopes to make some Christmas presents for family and friends. It's been a great experience so far. I believe that goal has been met..... where it goes from there is anyones guess. Thanks again not just for this thread but for all the help I've received since walking (unsuspectedly) into the Vortex. :)

Michelle Rich
08-11-2011, 8:07 AM
wow, what a find! Lucky you..great fun!

Donny Lawson
08-11-2011, 5:52 PM
It looks very well. Nice shape ,design. I just wist I could make something that good.

Baxter Smith
08-11-2011, 8:58 PM
Nice find, nice turning!