View Full Version : Pricing a large bowl

Donny Lawson
08-10-2011, 5:42 PM
I have someone that wants a 16-18" rustic looking bowl about 4-6" deep out of dark wood (Im thinking walnut) but I have no idea what kind of price on something like that. Any rough ideas? It will be used for flowers on a coffee table. First off I don't have anything that big right now. Second, I don't know if she will wait until I can make one. I'm suppose to get back with her on a price. What's one that size going for?(Rough prices will do) Thanks..

Bob Bergstrom
08-10-2011, 5:59 PM
If the wood were free, I would charge $75 for a simple open bowl. If I had to buy it, it would be added on. If it had to be beaded or thin the price would go up.

David E Keller
08-10-2011, 6:03 PM
5 or 6 bucks per inch has been my rule of thumb... Plus expenses if I have to buy the stock. Lots of detail work would raise the price as well.

Roger Chandler
08-10-2011, 6:37 PM
A nice bowl of 18 inches..........at least $125.00.

Tony De Masi
08-10-2011, 8:22 PM
I just sold one, cherry, with one small embellishment, for $150.

Jeff Nicol
08-10-2011, 8:49 PM
Everyone is pretty much on the same page about the price for a big bowl of that size. I have sold them in that size range in pine, maple and black walnut. The simple pine bowl with some nice blue staining went for $150 the maple one was pretty much blemish free and a bit taller about 6" compared to 3-4" deep. It had a bead around it an inch down from the top edge and a small foot in height to bring it up off the table and create a nice shadow, it went for $180.00. The black walnut was 19" and had some crotchwood feather in it and a slight flare at the top, it went for $225 but it was the wood and the figure in it along with the size that brought the higher price.

So it all comes down to how much work you have to put in it, as you said it is to be "Rustc" so maybe not so much sanding and a high gloss finish. So that would mean a lower cost, but it depends on where you are located and what people are willing to pay for things.

Good luck,

Jeff