PDA

View Full Version : Dear Mods

Belinda Barfield
08-10-2011, 1:08 PM
I've said it before, and I'm saying it again. Keith's house - Keith's rules. You guys are the bouncers. When I start creating a ruckus and you're having to work to keep my posts in line just shut me down. And when you do PLEASE don't apologize for it. Thank you for your support.:)

Michael Weber
08-10-2011, 4:10 PM
I'm gonna miss you:(

Ken Fitzgerald
08-10-2011, 4:14 PM
We haven't been able to find a good reason to push her out the door yet....:confused::eek::rolleyes::D

Randy Moore
08-10-2011, 6:41 PM
Belinda, I don't say much on here ause I'm still learning by leaps and bounds. BUT
If they kick you out I will be very displeased. I think you're smart, have a lot of common sense, which is about non-exisistant these days and YOU LOOK A WHOLE LOT BETTER THAN ANY OF THE MODS.

Just my 2 cents.

Gary Hodgin
08-10-2011, 7:34 PM
I'd heard Georgia women are a rowdy bunch.:)

Belinda Barfield
08-10-2011, 7:36 PM
Belinda, I don't say much on here ause I'm still learning by leaps and bounds. BUT
If they kick you out I will be very displeased. I think you're smart, have a lot of common sense, which is about non-exisistant these days and YOU LOOK A WHOLE LOT BETTER THAN ANY OF THE MODS.

Just my 2 cents.

LOL . . . Thank you so much Randy. I don't think I'm in danger of being kicked out yet. Ken will keep me around for entertainment value. I'm not sure I get votes for looks though. I try to toe the line but sometimes I post a thread that gets controversial. It is what it is. I respect every one of the mods and think they are a beautiful bunch of guys and gals. My daddy would be proud that you think I have common sense.

Belinda Barfield
08-10-2011, 7:46 PM
I'd heard Georgia women are a rowdy bunch.:)

Yes, yes we are.

P.S. Randy Moore - post more often, I think you've got a lot of potential. :D

ray hampton
08-10-2011, 11:01 PM
Whom are you kidding, you are not a trouble-maker

Jim Creech
08-11-2011, 3:10 PM
Belinda,
1--As a Moderator I feel I should advise you that in this world Anything you or anyone else says is subject to controversy. People have been punched in the nose for nothing more than directing a cheerful "Good Morning" to someone that was not in a cheerful mood. (Trust me on that one!). No matter what is said, someone, somewhere will take issue, if for no other reason than to start an argument.
2-- Yes, G.R.I.T.S. can be a bit rowdy at times. All the more reason to love them!
3-- Don't sell yourself short in the looks dept! If I was younger, single, better looking and had some money I would dust off some of my antique smooth moves and lay some serious sweet talk on you!
4-- If you should get out of hand don't worry, we will be gentle. Deep down I think we are all just a bunch of old softies.

PS: I suspect everything I have said could be considered controversial and no doubt someone will take issue with it! Such is life!

Belinda Barfield
08-11-2011, 5:24 PM
Thanks Jim! It's been a long day and I actually replied to the e-mail notification . . . I think I need to go home now. LOL.
GRITS can be a bit rowdy, but more than that we are hard headed and determined (and stubborn I've been told).
When you get younger, single, better looking and win the lottery give me a call.
I won't get too far out of hand. Heck, I even try to moderate some of my threads. I knew after the first few posts that the thread was headed south. As you said, such is life.

Jim Creech
08-11-2011, 6:46 PM
Yep! GRITS are hard headed, determined and stubborn (I outta know ,I married one 33 years ago) and personally I wouldn't have it any other way!
As far as getting younger, single, better looking and rich I don't think the odds are in my favour. However ,I can dream can't I!!!
I hope I speak for all when I say we love, respect and admire you. You have more friends here than you might think.
God Bless and keep the posts coming!

Your humble and obiedient servant!

Tom Winship
08-11-2011, 6:54 PM
Help an old man out? My family came from Atlanta to Texas right after the War Against Northern Aggression. I guess I should know, but what is GRITS? Or is it something we can go into here?

Jim Creech
08-11-2011, 9:09 PM
GRITS= Girls Raised In The South!!!

Tom Winship
08-11-2011, 9:49 PM
Well, Kiss My Grits.
Thanks, Jim.

Jim Creech
08-11-2011, 10:43 PM
Well, Kiss My Grits.
Thanks, Jim.

AMEN Brother, Amen!

Belinda Barfield
08-12-2011, 9:16 AM
I hope I speak for all when I say we love, respect and admire you. You have more friends here than you might think. God Bless and keep the posts coming!

Thanks Jim. I can see why a GRIT graces you with her presence.

Belinda Barfield
08-12-2011, 11:14 AM
i just realized something . . . Ken Fitzgerald is going to have to admit that he actually likes GRITS! :D:D

Ken Fitzgerald
08-12-2011, 11:18 AM
Belinda......are we discussing people or that white substance that looks so much like the white substance that was kept in small jars in hole on my wooden desk in kindergarten?:confused::rolleyes:;)

BTW....in kindergarten we figured out shortly the white substance in that little glass jar didn't taste good and we didn't continue deluding ourselves.:D

Ken Fitzgerald
08-12-2011, 11:20 AM
The people on the other hand generally speaking are nice folks and yes, I enjoy them.

Brian Kent
08-12-2011, 12:26 PM
My mom told her kindergartners that the gritty paste is just regular Elmer's glue that spiders laid eggs in over the summer. They never ate any more of it.

Bruce Page
08-12-2011, 12:41 PM
My mom told her kindergartners that the gritty paste is just regular Elmer's glue that spiders laid eggs in over the summer. They never ate any more of it.
Now that's funny!

Belinda Barfield
08-12-2011, 4:00 PM
I may have to post a photo of this GRITS eating grits in her GRITS t-shirt . . . if I can find the T-shirt. Tomorrow is Saturday, do I have to comb my hair for the photo? LOL

Ken Fitzgerald
08-12-2011, 4:18 PM
It's your preference Belinda.....we are tough .....we can handle most anything....

ray hampton
08-12-2011, 5:48 PM
your hair is fine the way that it is and leave your shoes off when you sit for the camera

Jim Creech
08-13-2011, 10:54 PM
I, for one , don't stand on formality. Come as you are, or should I say, Photograph as you are! G.R.I.T.S. don't need all that fancy make-up and stuff any how!

Jim Creech
08-13-2011, 11:16 PM
Ken,
That stuff did have a kinda nasty taste. But we are both showing our age.
OK Belinda, show us some G.R.I.T.S. eating some grits in their GRITS shirt! Don't worry about make-up and such. G.R.I.T.S don't need that stuff any how!

Mike Cruz
08-15-2011, 7:49 AM
I hope I speak for all when I say we love, respect and admire you.

I suppose two out of three ain't bad...

Belinda Barfield
08-15-2011, 9:20 AM
Ken,
That stuff did have a kinda nasty taste. But we are both showing our age.
OK Belinda, show us some G.R.I.T.S. eating some grits in their GRITS shirt! Don't worry about make-up and such. G.R.I.T.S don't need that stuff any how!

Didn't find my GRITS shirt this weekend, nor did I cook any grits - sorry. I'll just have to surprise y'all one day.

I suppose two out of three ain't bad...

That's just cruel Mike . . . LOL

Jim Creech
08-15-2011, 11:29 AM
Now that's something I failed to address. A gal that can cook grits also! What else can you ask for?

ray hampton
08-15-2011, 1:02 PM
Now that's something I failed to address. A gal that can cook grits also! What else can you ask for?

NOTHING that I can think of

Andrew Pitonyak
08-15-2011, 1:10 PM
My family came from Atlanta to Texas right after the War Against Northern Aggression.

I grew up in Michigan, so I would normally assume that you referred to Canada.... Having hung out with family living in Dallas, however, I am sure that you are referring to people living in New Mexico and Oklahoma. No wait, you live in College Station, you must be referring to those people up there in Dallas.... :-)

I never heard the term "Battle Of Northern Aggression" until after I had obtained four college degrees and attended multiple Universities in Multiple states. I first heard the term while chatting with a southern girl (she was a real pistol) and she mentioned that when she went home, she had to park her car with Ohio plates in her parents garage because of hostile feelings towards northerners. I was astounded.

Speaking of being astounded..... I first found out about Okra wile visiting family in Texas. I figured those Texans must be tough because they were taking heaping servings of what I thought was breaded hot peppers. My Uncle almost soiled himself he laughed so hard after I expressed my dismay.

So GRITS means Girls Raised in the South. Now I know why I was always asked if I wanted grits with that while I was hanging out in Texas.

Belinda Barfield
08-15-2011, 2:01 PM

Well, according to my ex-FIL, a man should never marry a woman who can't make a decent pitcher of tea, or a decent plate of biscuits. His son should have listened to him. A gal should at least know how to make a decent cat head biscuit, and cornbread.

I never heard the term "Battle Of Northern Aggression" until after I had obtained four college degrees and attended multiple Universities in Multiple states. I first heard the term while chatting with a southern girl (she was a real pistol) and she mentioned that when she went home, she had to park her car with Ohio plates in her parents garage because of hostile feelings towards northerners. I was astounded.

Speaking of being astounded..... I first found out about Okra wile visiting family in Texas. I figured those Texans must be tough because they were taking heaping servings of what I thought was breaded hot peppers. My Uncle almost soiled himself he laughed so hard after I expressed my dismay.

Andrew, I don't think I ever heard The War called anything but the War of Northern Agression until I was in high school. Most southern girls are real pistols. I'm surprised that your friend experienced such animosity over her Ohio plates though, we aren't quite that bad around here.

Okra story. My aunt brought home a gentleman friend, Wes, one summer and of course any time she came home for a visit was a big family event. I can't remember now where Wes was from, but it was somewhere above the Mason Dixon and to the west. My grandparents lived in Ludowici, GA at the time and we all spoke fluent Southern. The family sat down to dinner (that meal in the middle of the day) and Wes sat quietly as bowls and platters were passed and plates were filled. Finally he spoke up and asked someone to pass the "meata-nokry" - everyone fell silent because with his pronunciation we had no idea what he wanted. Funny thing was, he wasn't sure either. Turns out he was asking for okra (even though he didn't know what it was) and kept hearing meat and okra every time he saw it passed.

Mike Cruz
08-15-2011, 2:30 PM
Cat head biscuits? Are we back to solving your orchid problems?

Belinda Barfield
08-15-2011, 2:44 PM
Cat head biscuits? Are we back to solving your orchid problems?

No, cat head biscuits have nothing to do with cats or orchids. They're just large, moist, melt in your mouth biscuits. For the best taste and texture they should be made with lard, but who cooks with lard anymore? You can substitute shortening (Snowdrift is best) and butter - wait a minute, I'm not supposed to cook with those ingredients either. Suffice it to say, I haven't made biscuits in the past ten or so years as best I recall. I miss biscuits. Isn't there something to be said for enjoying life and dying happy . . .

Andrew Pitonyak
08-15-2011, 3:15 PM
I have used Okra a few times (say in a stew), but I never cared for the slimy result. A chef recently mentioned to me that I should bread and lightly fry the okra before use in a stew because it cut down on the slimy!

Belinda Barfield
08-15-2011, 3:34 PM
I have used Okra a few times (say in a stew), but I never cared for the slimy result. A chef recently mentioned to me that I should bread and lightly fry the okra before use in a stew because it cut down on the slimy!

I'm not a fan of okra. Never saw a need for it myself. Even fried it's still just okra.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-15-2011, 3:48 PM
Now I am a biscuit guy...I converted my wife .....she likes biscuits........... I made camp biscuits when I hunted and fished a lot. Light as a feather.....use beer instead of any other liquid. They puff right up......at home I don't use beer. Sunday morning breakfast is often biscuits, gravy and eggs of some kind....omlet......wild cheezy scramble...with onions, green peppers....sometime olives...spinach...or a little fetta cheese...or cheddar....or velveta....

I tried eating boiled okra in every way possible in my 6 years in the land that rants of Northern Aggression. I didn't like it. Later I learned to eat fried okra.....but it's not a food required to eat or die IMHO. However, I have a neighbor with a cajun background. He cooks some of his Momma's home recipes and I have eaten boiled okra in his cooking. It was survivable.

Kent A Bathurst
08-15-2011, 4:00 PM

You are dancing near the edge of breaking the rules if you're gonna diss on okra. Which is the perfect setup for someone to say something about breaking rules and Columbus, but I'm not gonna start that fight :D :D

Respectfully,
Michigan State grad...................

ray hampton
08-15-2011, 5:47 PM
cat head biscuits, is this a house cat or mountain lion cat head ? I need to get my shoes on and drive to store for biscuits and okra/fried okra very good

Dennis Peacock
08-15-2011, 8:50 PM
Well, according to my ex-FIL, a man should never marry a woman who can't make a decent pitcher of tea, or a decent plate of biscuits. His son should have listened to him. A gal should at least know how to make a decent cat head biscuit, and cornbread.

Cat Head Biscuits...!!!!???? Only a true GRITS kinda gal knows what this is and how to fix it.!!!! Awesome stuff with good sawmill gravy on top with some fresh sliced maters..!!!!! Oooooo-weeeeee....I'm hawngry now.!!!!!

Oh.....and Belinda.....where I wuz raised....we didn't "make a pitcher" of anythang......we "fixed a jug"!!! Now y'all git in the house and fix me a jug of ice tea!!! We never had to ask "sweet or unsweet" cause all they is around where I growed up wuz sweet ice tea.

Of course if you went far enough into the back woods...you could run up on some "corn squeezins"....and take ya a quart home. :)

Now...what was the topic of this thread again???? Oh yea..!!!!!!

Mike Cruz
08-15-2011, 9:47 PM
Sawmill gravy? Does that come from the Creek?

Jim Creech
08-16-2011, 8:42 AM
OK folk's! Something goofy is going on with my 'puter. When I log on I can't see pg 3 of dis thread so this post will probably be out of place!
As for you Miss Belinda, Growing and frying okra is a Southern tradition and cherished way of life! You should hang your head in shame! So while were on the subject, fess up! What else are you not fond of?(Southern cuisine that is)
Corn bread- White or yellow?
Collards?
Half -Runners?
Greasy beans? Cut Short beans?
Poke salad?
Mint Juleps?
Go Ahead- You done cut some of us to the bone with the okra comment and poured iced tea (UN sweetened) on our fantasies about G.R.I.T.S.

Belinda Barfield
08-16-2011, 9:17 AM
Of course if you went far enough into the back woods...you could run up on some "corn squeezins"....and take ya a quart home. :)

Now...what was the topic of this thread again???? Oh yea..!!!!!!

Lordy, maybe we just ought to start a whole new thread!

One of my great grandfathers was quite famous for his corn squeezin's and people came from miles around to buy from him. Then he became an elder in a hard line Primitive Baptist church and gave up the business.

As for you Miss Belinda, Growing and frying okra is a Southern tradition and cherished way of life! You should hang your head in shame! So while were on the subject, fess up! What else are you not fond of?(Southern cuisine that is)
Corn bread- White or yellow?
Collards?
Half -Runners?
Greasy beans? Cut Short beans?
Poke salad?
Mint Juleps?
Go Ahead- You done cut some of us to the bone with the okra comment and poured iced tea (UN sweetened) on our fantasies about G.R.I.T.S.

Mr. Jim, I never said I can't fry okra, I'm just not a big fan of eating it or having to cut it.
Cornbread - yellow unless I'm making hoecake, then white.
Collards - blech!!
Half Runners - not a fan.
Greasy beans/cut short beans - not a fan.
Poke salad - have eaten it, currently don't have access to the makin's.
Mint Juleps - heavens yes!!!
Fatback - have eaten it but don't anymore 'cause it ain't healthy and all that.
Cracklin' cornbred - one of my favs.
Don't eat lima beans or corn at all. (ducking for cover)
I am an absolute pro at making that dish that must show up on every family reunion or church dinner table - congealed salad (or as my grandfather called it "chenille salad").

I'm going to go fix myself a late breakfast now, reheated left over fried burrito. :D

Jim Creech
08-16-2011, 10:06 AM
OK. I reckon the cornbread and mint juleps make up for the rest so all is forgiven. I just have a hard time imagining someone what don't like a mess of collards or some greasy half runners. Making my own self hungry now!
Back to the topic about things getting out of hand. I frequently hear someone say "This discussion is going south" which implies something unpleasant. Why is that? I have no objection to going South. Any ideas?

David G Baker
08-16-2011, 11:22 AM
Belinda,
How about "Red Beans & Rice"?

Belinda Barfield
08-16-2011, 12:11 PM
Back to the topic about things getting out of hand. I frequently hear someone say "This discussion is going south" which implies something unpleasant. Why is that? I have no objection to going South. Any ideas?

They mean Florida, Jim, which really isn't a part of the South, it's just sort of stuck on the bottom of the south.

Belinda,
How about "Red Beans & Rice"?

Yessir, I make and eat Red Beans & Rice - not really a traditional country dish but at least a southern one. I devoted a lot of time to making RB&R once upon a time when I was newly married and his family was coming for a visit. Red Beans made right takes some time. Learned the lesson that not everyone likes RB&R when my SIL turned up her nose and refused to eat. I can't remember what I whipped up for her but I managed something. Boy, was I embarassed.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-16-2011, 12:17 PM
Now my paternal grandmother made a fine batch of crackin' bread. My wife makes a great pot of red beans and rice. Of course I think she imports hers from Zatarrains in Louisiana.

and for the record.....there's a slow cooker on the counter right now with a ham bone and beans in it cooking. Yellow corn bread will be baked later today.

Belinda Barfield
08-16-2011, 12:24 PM
Now my paternal grandmother made a fine batch of crackin' bread. My wife makes a great pot of red beans and rice. Of course I think she imports hers from Zatarrains in Louisiana.

and for the record.....there's a slow cooker on the counter right now with a ham bone and beans in it cooking. Yellow corn bread will be baked later today.

Can you pick me up at the airport? Actually, the Zatarrains ten minute variety is pretty good. There I also a mix by them that I can find anymore - don't remember the name - that had pineapple in with the rice, just add chicken or shrimp. It was mightly good with shrimp added.

ray hampton
08-16-2011, 1:45 PM
Belinda, was it shrimp or crawdads ?
did you add sugar to you cornbread ?
I do not like beans with ham hock, the beans taste much better if they are cooked with jowl bacon

Belinda Barfield
08-16-2011, 1:48 PM
Ray,

It was shrimp. I do love crawdads though.
Sugar in cornbread is an abomination.
I cook my beans with lean smoked ham.

Dave Anderson NH
08-16-2011, 2:41 PM
I be a hardheaded Yankee born and bred. I do admit to likin' red beans and rice and most Cajun food. I particularly liked going down to Savannah a couple of times and enjoying a Low country shrip boil and oyster roast. At the ones I went to the guys would drive in with a couple or 3 pickups hauling trailers. One trailer had the beer kegs with 4 taps on it. The next trailer the guys would unload sawhorses and lay a 4 x 4 sheet of plywood on it with 2 big holes cut in it. They'd put trash cans under the holes and then lay shuckin' knives on the plywood along with squeeze bottles of sauce. They'd dump bushels of roasted oysters on the ply tables. This was the appetizer course. The third pickup and trailer had the propane burners and the big pots which they'd fill with red beans and rice, cut up sausage, 1/4 ears of corn and the shrimp. They'd boil up the whole mess and serve it up. I'm salivating just thinking about the great feed. Great memories.

Belinda Barfield
08-16-2011, 3:09 PM
I be a hardheaded Yankee born and bred. I do admit to likin' red beans and rice and most Cajun food. I particularly liked going down to Savannah a couple of times and enjoying a Low country shrip boil and oyster roast. At the ones I went to the guys would drive in with a couple or 3 pickups hauling trailers. One trailer had the beer kegs with 4 taps on it. The next trailer the guys would unload sawhorses and lay a 4 x 4 sheet of plywood on it with 2 big holes cut in it. They'd put trash cans under the holes and then lay shuckin' knives on the plywood along with squeeze bottles of sauce. They'd dump bushels of roasted oysters on the ply tables. This was the appetizer course. The third pickup and trailer had the propane burners and the big pots which they'd fill with red beans and rice, cut up sausage, 1/4 ears of corn and the shrimp. They'd boil up the whole mess and serve it up. I'm salivating just thinking about the great feed. Great memories.

You do be yankeefied shore enough cause no self respecting southerner would every combine red beans and rice with low country boil. Low country boil has shrimp and/or crawdads, corn, sausage, red potatoes (and sometimes onion), crab boil, and a couple of lemon halves thrown in for good measure. Other than that, your description is pretty much how we throw a party around here. Come on back and refresh your memory. My best friend is a Connecticut transplant and she speaks fluent Yankee. :D

Mike Henderson
08-16-2011, 3:27 PM
Belinda, was it shrimp or crawdads ?
did you add sugar to you cornbread ?
I do not like beans with ham hock, the beans taste much better if they are cooked with jowl bacon
According to Wikipedia, Louisiana produces about 98% of the crawfish consumed in the US, of which about 70% is consumed locally. And maybe 90% of the world crop. We do not call them crayfish and rarely will you hear them called crawdads. They are crawfish - and sometimes mudbugs.

That's like pecans. The yankees come down to New Orleans and ask where they can find some pee-cans. We point them to the nearest rest room.

Mike

Belinda Barfield
08-16-2011, 3:31 PM
According to Wikipedia, Louisiana produces about 98% of the crawfish consumed in the US, of which about 70% is consumed locally. And maybe 90% of the world crop. We do not call them crayfish and rarely will you hear them called crawdads. They are crawfish - and sometimes mudbugs.

That's like pecans. The yankees come down to New Orleans and ask where they can find some pee-cans. We point them to the nearest rest room.

Mike

Mike, I normally call the tasty morsels crawfish, just going with the flow by calling them crawdads.

Funny about pecans because everyone I know from the souths pronounces it peecan, not pecahn - that's the Yankee pronounciation.

Dave Anderson NH
08-16-2011, 4:25 PM
I forgot about the potatoes Belinda. Sorry. Maybe the red beans and rice were served separately, but they were part of the feed. It's been about 20 years now so my memory has probably faded a bit.

Randy Moore
08-19-2011, 8:00 PM
Belinda, you're loosing your touch. I thought this would go on for a couple hundred posts. You must need a refresher course in aggiating(sp) the mods.
55 posts in this thing plus mine. I am disappointed.

ray hampton
08-19-2011, 10:04 PM

Mike
I alway heard them call crawdads in my part of the USA AND as for the peecans, I am not a yankee but I call them peecan not pecon

Belinda Barfield
08-20-2011, 7:10 AM
Belinda, you're loosing your touch. I thought this would go on for a couple hundred posts. You must need a refresher course in aggiating(sp) the mods.
55 posts in this thing plus mine. I am disappointed.

I fear you may be right Randy. I have been pretty busy at work so I haven't been able to devote adequate time to the thread. Although, considering the original topic and the fact that we are now discussing whether tasty critters that live in mud are crawfish or crawdads, I'd say I haven't completely lost my touch.

Rich Engelhardt
08-20-2011, 7:46 AM
You guys are the bouncers. When I start creating a ruckus and you're having to work to keep my posts in line just shut me down
LOL!
Somehow - it seems like every topic/thread ends up being a discussion of what to eat. ;)

Belinda Barfield
08-20-2011, 7:51 AM
You know Rich, I've been thinking maybe Keith out to add another sub forum - Food for Woodworking. :D

Rich Engelhardt
08-20-2011, 9:28 AM
Count me in!!!

ray hampton
08-20-2011, 1:29 PM
kount me in, too

David G Baker
08-20-2011, 4:50 PM
Me too also!

Randy Moore
08-20-2011, 7:53 PM
If Keith adds another sub forum i WILL NOT go into it. I am 6'0" and 190 lbs. My wife won't let me go into buffets 'cause I love to eat and eat and eat. You have made me hungry just reading this thread.
Keith, when are you going to put a new sub-forum in here called "EATIN'" or "FOOD"?

Rich Engelhardt
08-21-2011, 5:32 AM
Belinda,
We have to come up with a good name for the new forum.
Something catchy & WW'ing related.

& speaking of food - - - I had a fresh 'mater and Vidalia sammich yesterday that was to die for!
Two big slices of Vidalia w/a couple of cherry 'maters in between!
;)

Mike Cruz
08-21-2011, 9:26 AM
I've always noticed the difference between crayfish and crawdad is the same as between peecan and pecahn...it's a matter of how high you nose is held in the air.

ray hampton
08-21-2011, 1:33 PM
cherry tomatoes were call tommy -toes when I was growing-up