PDA

View Full Version : Point and Shoot Camera versus SLR

Michael Ginsberg
08-10-2011, 11:29 AM
I am about to embark on photographing a bowl to post on the Creek (my first). I bought the light tent, lights, #39 background and I have a tripod. My camera is a good quality Canon G7 point and shoot. Will this work to give me really good results, or, do I need to step up to a SLR?
I appreciate all input as always/
Michael

David E Keller
08-10-2011, 11:36 AM
I think you'll be fine with the point and shoot given the set up you've got. I"m not familiar with the G7, but most of those cameras allow for some adjustment to the exposure which is helpful. I take most of my pictures in macro mode on a little pink point and shoot.

Mark Hubl
08-10-2011, 11:37 AM
It will work. I have some pointers up in my gallery in a photo presentation. I am sure that Jamie or Ken will pop in with some pointers from the pros. The biggest thing is to know what you can adjust on the camera you have and experiment a bit. Use the tripod, and if your camera has a timed shutter release use it. This will help to avoid shakes that cause out of focus fuzz. Play with moving your lights around to change shadows and hot spots. And, caution you are very close to the edge of another vortex!

Dick Wilson
08-10-2011, 11:44 AM
Mike,

I have a Nikon Coolpix L3 point and shoot that works OK for posting pics on the forums. I posted a pic that was picked up by Betty Scarpino who wanted to include it the lastest issue of the Journal. They had problems getting a photo good enough to include in the magazine. They want high resolution shots.

What your camera is capable of is what you get. There is nothing that can be done after the fact. You can use photo software to crop, alter contrast, etc.

That pretty much sums up my total knowledge of photography:rolleyes:. I am sure that others will post who have a ton more experience than I. Jamie D. would be an excellent tutor along with others.

Michael Ginsberg
08-10-2011, 12:05 PM
David,
Just for the record... My camera is not PINK!!

John Beaver
08-10-2011, 12:10 PM
The G7 will work fine.

A little tip: If the bowl is too dark or light due to the camera exposing too much for the background, just adjust the exposure "+" or "-" and it should come out great.

Faust M. Ruggiero
08-10-2011, 1:40 PM
Mike,
The best tip I read was to shut off all the lights in the room and illuminate only with the lights you bought to work with the tent. Hang them one on either side and over the tent. A good modern point and shoot isn't like the old Instamatics. These have a lot of technology. Just make sure you shut off the flash.
faust

Josh Bowman
08-10-2011, 3:10 PM
Here's a Fine Woodworking article. It's not in the same detail as the magazine article was from Fine Woodworking #213, but it gives you the right idea. They had their pro take pictures with a point and shoot. The pictures were in their mind, magazine quality using the above recommended tricks.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/25545/take-great-photographs-of-your-work-with-any-digital-camera

T (http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/25545/take-great-photographs-of-your-work-with-any-digital-camera)his link is the real Fine Woodworking #213 article. It might let you read the PDF. I'm an online member and can't tell if it will let you in or not. I wasn't signed in and it opened. But who knows. Try clicking the PDF. Good luck

https://finewoodworking.com/SkillsAndTechniques/SkillsAndTechniquesPDF.aspx?id=33487

Rick Markham
08-10-2011, 4:20 PM
I take most of my pictures in macro mode on a little pink point and shoot.

"That's Hawt" (Paris Hilton)

You must be very secure in your turning :p

For what it's worth, that little pink camera, does a good job ;)

Andrew Pitonyak
08-11-2011, 12:16 PM
A few comments:

If you will use an automatic mode, then the extra modes on the fancy camera will not help you.
The larger sensor on the fancy camera will help you.
If you do not bother to purchase a lens nicer than on the point and shoot, it won't matter.

I have an older DSLR (Canon 30D) and very nice lenses. The pictures from my older DSLR look better than the new point and shoot. That said:

Will you take the time to learn the DSLR?
Will you purchase a nice lens?
Are you unhappy with the pictures from your current camera?

Some of my biggest complaints when I run around with a point and shoot are:

Smaller flash. Not a problem for your setup with a light box.
Time to focus is much slower on the point and shoot. Again, not an issue for you.

Depending on your point and shoot, you may, or may not, be able to control things such as depth of field (if that matters to you).

Ole Anderson
08-11-2011, 6:41 PM
Hmm, sounds like a new project to me, and every project deserves a new tool...

My latest project was a trip to Alaska and that one deserved a new Canon T2i.

Harry Hagan
08-12-2011, 6:21 PM
At the risk of stating the obvious, why don’t you just try it and see if you get “really good results”. Study your owner’s manual to make sure you’re using the camera’s full potential. My Blackberry takes great photos in the right conditions.

Joel Goodman
08-12-2011, 7:44 PM
Something to keep in mind -- this forum doesn't take images above a certain file size. You'll have to shrink the file size down anyway to post your pixs so a lot of the quality of the best cameras will be lost. I've posted pixs from my iPhone 4 and they're not terrible -- and I had to shrink the file size on them. I would try with what you have. I expect lighting, exposure, and composition matter a lot more than the camera.

John Hemenway
08-12-2011, 8:02 PM
There are advantages to using a good SLR vs. P&S.
Will you notice them? It's similar to the woodworkers arguments/discussions about finishes. BLO, shellac, poly - Oh, my!

SLR has:
better lenses
MORE lenses
better dynamic range (More detail in shadow and highlights). High end SLR's are even better at this.
More accessories - flashes and remote flashes...
More control
a remote to get hands off firing (sharper pic, don't ya know)
... and more that I can't think of right now.