PDA

View Full Version : Varathane Waterbased Poly Question

Mark Hubl
08-10-2011, 11:08 AM
Has anybody tried the rattle can version of this?? How did it measure up?? How clear was it??

I, like many, have a spalted piece that I would like to keep close to it's original color. I plowed through some threads to see what others thought but did not find any thing on the rattle can waterbased. I have used waterbased on some paneling with good results but have not used it on a turning. I have never sanded down or polished waterbased. How does that work?

I did this bowl yesterday. It needs a final sanding, but I really like the color and want to try and keep it. I even thought about no finish at all!

Any thoughts?

Bernie Weishapl
08-10-2011, 11:15 AM
Nice looking bowl Mark. I just bought a can and haven't had a chance to use it. I have wondered the same thing if it will keep the original color.

mike ash
08-10-2011, 11:23 AM
Mark - I've used it with good results. My method is to apply about 3 or 4 light coats within 30 minutes of each other, let it dry 24 hrs then wet sand lightly with water and 400 grit wet or dry paper. I wipe off all sanding residue and then steelwool with ultrafine steel wool and motor oil. I get a fantastic satin finish and lets the wood beauty come through.

Mike Ash

Michael Ginsberg
08-10-2011, 11:51 AM
Mark,
I have a product to suggest that I just finished using with very good results. It is Enduravar by General Finishes. I bought a pint of satin. I thinned it out about 10% with water and used it as a wipe on. It is almost clear with a slight amber. I used it on a spalted flame box elder bowl and it kept the color. It also has good UV protection from what I have been told. I am finishing the bowl soon so I cannot post a picture yet.
General finishes just came out with a new product. They sent me a sample. It is called Woodturner's finish. It was explained to me that it is glossy, clear, meant to be wiped on the lathe. Apparently it sprays very well as well.
Hope this helps.

Eric Holmquist
08-10-2011, 12:49 PM
I've tried two different waterborne finishes. PolyWhey by Vermont Natural Coatings and EM6000 by Target Coatings. Both produced very clear results with no detectable (to me) color shift. PolyWhey was both brushed and sprayed with conversion HVLP. EM6000 was only conversion HVLP.

For EM6000 I spray 3 coats, sand with Mirlon (sp) pads 500 and 1000 then spray one more coat and buff with no further sanding.

For PolyWhey, I sand between coats progressively finer (220, 320, 400) after each coat then buff.

Jon Nuckles
08-10-2011, 1:09 PM
I have no experience to share on your question, but had to reply just to say that that is an awesome bowl!

Faust M. Ruggiero
08-10-2011, 1:28 PM
You asked a finish question and somehow it was Jon that realized what a fine bowl you made. I hope you find exactly the finish you want because the bowl deserves the best.
faust

Michael Ginsberg
08-10-2011, 1:34 PM
Mark,
I as well forgot to comment on your bowl. I was caught up in trying to give you my thoughts about your question..
The bowl is OUTSTANDING!!!

Mark Hubl
08-11-2011, 10:50 AM
Thanks all. I am going to pick up a can and give it a go. I also will do some research on the other products. I let you know how it turns out!

Mark Hubl
08-13-2011, 5:02 PM
Well I am impressed. Picked up a rattle can of Varathane Gloss water based poly. They had two varieties, an indoor and an outdoor. Looks like the indoor may be harder. The outdoor has UV protection. I chose the outdoor for the UV.

Sprayed well, no odor, dries fast and builds fast. I was a bit worried about the orange peel, but it built and leveled pretty good. Put on four coats, about half an hour to an hour in between. Nice! Let it dry a day, gave it a quick wet sand (600, 1000, 2000) and then a buff. Very happy with the results. It sanded really easy and buffed up to a nice sheen.

I am most happy about the color. It did not darken the wood. That is what I was lookin for. This may become my go to film finish.

Jon Nuckles
08-13-2011, 9:14 PM
Mark,

It may not have darkened the wood, but we demand a picture of the sheen! As things stand, it appears it didn't happen. Wouldn't mind seeing another angle or two on that bowl as well.

Jon

Robert Newton
08-15-2011, 3:29 PM
Tried the woodturners finish on a oak bowl I just turned. Very good finish but it did not make the oak grain pop-out as with a oil based finish. But very easy to use and would be great when I can't finish outside. General Finishes suggested putting on a coat of seal-a-cell finish ( the old step one of their three step process) will need to get some and try it.