PDA

View Full Version : Delta Reeves drive will not lock

Bob Jones
08-09-2011, 10:48 PM
As an update to my previous thread...
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?168705-My-first-lathe&highlight=

I have been trying to nurse my lathe back to health. When I first got it I turned it on and it ran pretty rough. Lots of vibration, noise, and the variable speed would not adjust. It only ran for a few seconds before I turned it off. I disassembled the whole reeves drive and cleaned all the components and lubed them all. A few of the components were stuck but I freed all of them. It really was fun. I put it back together and miracle of miracles it worked much better with no extra parts! It is running very smooth now (as smooth as my contractors belt drive table saw). The speed adjusts fine, but I have to turn the knob a bit slow. That is no problem.

PROBLEM - I can adjust the speed fine, but the lever does not lock. The sign says to pull back on the lever to adjust the speed and then push it back in to lock it. No deal. With the lever pushed in it does not lock, in fact that seems to make it adjust easier. I can not figure this out. I have a parts diagram, and the parts look about right. The only issue is I see a "plug" on the diagram, but I don't have one and I don't see how it would fit.

I have noticed that the handle is loose on the shaft. The two positions in the pictures shows how much "slop" is in the lever. It is just a bit loose on the shaft that comes out. Anyway, adjusting the set screw does not help at all. Can anyone tell what is wrong? If I can get this fixed I will be 90% ready to start turning!
Thanks!

Jeff Nicol
08-09-2011, 10:58 PM
Bob, I am not sure what you used to lube everything up, but sometimes if you use oil or grease on these they will attract fine dust much quicker and fail again quicker and potentially is allowing things to move too freely, if that is possible! But it looks like there must be something that is pulled out of a locking point when you lift the handle and the "Cam" action moves the center shaft out. Whatever it is supposed to slide out of a groove, ring or something may be broken., missing or worn out. I will look and see if there is a parts break out on line and see if I can see what may be the issue.

Good luck with it,
Jeff

Kathy Marshall
08-10-2011, 1:54 AM
Bob, my Delta has a reeves drive and my speed control lever works loose fairly often, a quarter turn on the set screw at the base of the lever tightens it right up. If you run it for any length of time with the lever loose, it will change speed on its own (not only not safe, but it can mess with the belt adjustment,DAMHIK). If your set screw isn't tightening it up, you might check to see if its stripped.
Good luck and let us know what the fix is.

Richard Bell CA
08-10-2011, 10:18 AM
Bob:

The cap screw visible at the center of the lever is the adjustment. There is also a small set screw that locks the cap screw in place. It is located on the end of the pin that the handle pivots on to lock/unlock the speed setting( it would be on the bottom in your photos). This needs to be loosened prior to adjusting the cap screw on the lock mechanism, then tightened after the locking mechanism is adjusted.

This is hard to describe. I do have an illustration/procedure for this in .pdf format that is much simpler, as well as a .pdf manual for a larger Delta lathe (Like Kathy's). If either you or Kathy would like this, send me your Email address and I will forward it.

Richard

Bill Bolen
08-10-2011, 11:55 AM
Right after I bought my Jet1442 (reeves drive) the handle popped off in my hand. No big deal just put it back on and tightened the set screw. The lathe started not holding it's speed setting then. Ended up removing the drive cover and reaching inside to push the handle shaft out while pushing the handle in. Tightened up and the problem is still gone.

Bob Jones
08-10-2011, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the tips. I have adjusted the screw in the middle and the set screw that holds it in place. The problem seems to be the cam. When I adjust the screw it makes the whole thing too tight or too loose, there is no just right. It is actually more loose in the "closed" position than the "open" position. I am considering buying a small cam lock and being done with it. I have the PDF of the owners manual and I have followed those instructions with no success. Any other tips are appreciated! Thanks

Bob Jones
08-15-2011, 11:20 PM
As a bit of an update - I have decided that the "cam lock" is either not original or is worn out. The good news is that I can fix the whole thing by tightening the middle screw once I get to the speed I want. I think I am going to replace that screw with a stud and add a "cam lock" from Lee Valley to tighten the whole thing up. It will not be original, but it will cost about $6. Not bad. Thanks for the help!