PDA

View Full Version : 7mm Mandrel bushings needed

Donny Lawson
08-09-2011, 10:43 PM
My 7mm pen bushings are worn and I want to find replacements but it should not cost $4.00 for 3 small bushings. Anyone have them cheaper and more quanity? I've posted this on a few more sites but so far no good suggestions. I know my fellow Creekers will help me come up with something. I would buy a whole pipe and cut it myself if I can find the size.

David E Keller
08-09-2011, 11:19 PM
You can turn your own from corian or some other durable material... Calipers are pretty handy for gauging the size.

Jeff Nicol
08-09-2011, 11:21 PM
Donny, I think you may have to bite the bullet and buy them or find a machine shop to make a bunch up for you, maybe out of stainless steel to be a little longer lasting. I know the rod on most of the pen mandrels are pretty close to 1/4" but I believe they are metric. I will see if I can figure something out and let you know, I have thought about this when I am turning a pen, but since it has been about 8 months ago that I turned one it is forgotten quickly!

I will let you know tomorrow what I come up with,

Jeff

Kathy Marshall
08-10-2011, 1:40 AM
Donny, Woodturningz has them for $3 for a 3 pack. You might try calling them and seeing if they give a discount for quantities (they do for pen kits).

Andrew Kertesz
08-10-2011, 6:28 AM
If you have calipers you can always turn your blanks between centers. Many people say it is more accurate than using bushings, no off center/oblong turnings, better fit and finish.