PDA

View Full Version : Beads of Courage #2

Scott Hackler
08-09-2011, 10:33 PM
I got this idea in my head and since the "Beads of Courage" program is coming up at SWAT.... well I just had to do it.

The body of the pot is hackberry, the lid is cherry and the lady bugs are osage orange. I carved the body for the pedals and pyro'd for shadow lines. The lid / seed pod was pyro'd on the outside and textured on the back side with the decorating Elf tool. The lady bugs were turned as one piece and cut in half. I wasn't planning on using but one for the knob, but they turned out pretty good and so the other one got added! The lady bugs were painted with acrylic paint and sealed with lacquer.

Although it is very faint in the pictures, the body of the pot was air brushed with a slight green tint and the pedals with yellow.

Everything sealed with multiple coats of lacquer and Ren wax. 6 1/2" x 4" tall.

I hope this is as loved by a deserving child as the love that went into it. I really enjoyed making this piece!

Anyone that can, should make at least one pot for this program. These children experience too many bad days as they fight for thier lives from the evil that is cancer. If we can bring even one smile, this is worth it!

Thanks for looking and comment away!

Jeff Nicol
08-09-2011, 10:37 PM
Scott, You are getting pretty artistic as of late, I think with all your new tools for embellishing have let the inner artist come out of you in a wonderful way! I love this piece, it has some whimsy, great subject and design elements that are just great together!

The lady bugs are just killer!

Awesome,

Jeff

David E Keller
08-09-2011, 10:38 PM
Kudos, Scott! The ladybugs look great, and I'll bet some kid goes crazy over it!

Bernie Weishapl
08-09-2011, 10:39 PM
That is just to cool Scott. Love the lady bugs and the embellishments are super.

charlie knighton
08-09-2011, 10:49 PM
Scott, its round, but but but....really cool, love the lady bugs, the pryo is excellant....is the top Molly's basketweave???, hackberry is nice wood, can be very hard when dry

very nice, enjoy swat, look up Dan Henry.....

Scott Hackler
08-09-2011, 10:57 PM
Thanks for the comments.

Charlie, the top is my own tip I made from NiChrome. It stamps out a footballish shape and is what I have used for all my sunflower designs.

Mark Hubl
08-09-2011, 11:47 PM
Nice, well done and fun. Some little one is going to love it. Great job Scott.

Kathy Marshall
08-10-2011, 1:35 AM
What a cool little box Scott! I would never have considered turning a lady bug, very cool! There's a lucky kid out there that's going to love this!

Scott gets my vote for most imaginative turner! Just wish I had a fraction of your imagination and inventiveness!

John Keeton
08-10-2011, 7:25 AM
Scott, this is one of the neatest pieces you have done!! Love the ladybugs, and the artistry of this piece is tops! Great work, great cause!

Jon Nuckles
08-10-2011, 10:44 AM
That is just really neat, and a perfect design for a child. Thank you for making and donating it, and thanks for posting it.