PDA

View Full Version : I need QS oak in Nebraska

Greg Urwiller
08-09-2011, 9:00 PM
My work is shut down for the week before Labor Day. I've got some projects in mind for the near future using QS oak. I've got a 16'' planer so I'd like to find some rough sawn oak somewhere. Anyone recommend a sawmill in SW Iowa, NW Missouri, N Kansas, and of course Nebraska? IF...I can find the time, I'd take a little roadtrip and get a couple board feet that week. Greg

Bryan Slimp
08-10-2011, 8:28 AM
A guy in Ft. Calhoun had a "pick up" load of White Oak posted in late July. No mention of size, QS, etc. Go to the Omaha Craigslist and search "rough". There's also a post for someone with a small mill in SW Iowa. Search for plumcreeksawmill.

Ryan Hellmer
08-10-2011, 11:02 AM
There are a bunch of sawmills in NE Kansas and I would presume in SE Nebraska too. Here's a link to the KS forestry website listings. http://www.kansasforests.org/pubs/rural/Kansas%20sawmills.pdf. What part of Nebraska, I have family near Lincoln and they would know where to find some locally.

Ryan

Howard Brown
08-10-2011, 8:54 PM
Here is one close to you. http://www.nativelumber.net

Greg Urwiller
08-10-2011, 9:34 PM
Duh!! That is close to me! I've never heard of the place before and I never expected to find anyplace that close with QS white oak!!. REALLY close in fact! I'll have to give them a call. Anyway, I live in central Nebraska and figured I'd have to go to the SE part of NE, NE Kansas, NW Missouri, or the SW part of Iowa to find a good source of oak. Not that the area is good for oak, it's just that there's a LOT OF TREES in that area. Surely there's an oak or two around!! LOL! So, how about you Howard, can you find hardwood easily up in the Sandhills? Greg

Howard Brown
08-12-2011, 8:30 PM
I was just up at Rastus's place nativelumber.com He is a very nice young gentleman. He would have or could get you all the a qs white oak you could want at a very reasonable price. He has walnut, cedar, honey locust, ash, and other that I may be forgetting but I'm sure you won't be disappointed. Wood is very hard to come buy in the panhandle of Nebraska!!! If he doesn't have it cut like you would like as fare as thickness it sounded like he would accommodate you prepare his next batch so to speak.

MARK D Sullivan
08-13-2011, 10:34 PM
I get most of my stuff at dunham hardwoods dunlap Ia. you do not even need to plane it just run it through a belt sander. they have a website, I think it is dunham hardwoods.com

Greg Urwiller
08-14-2011, 11:01 AM
Thanks Mark. It's not that far over for you, so I would guess that you just go over there and pick your own up? If so, are they easy to deal with, as far as letting you pick and choose? By the way, were you the one that had the 8" jointer for sale on CL sometime back? Looked like a good unit, I regretted (several times!) not checking it out. Greg