PDA

View Full Version : Following the Example of Sawmill Creek

Brian Kent
08-09-2011, 7:35 PM
I have longed for a community like Sawmill Creek for my real job. It looks like things are lining up for a community of forums using the same software - vBulletin.

This will not be in competition with Sawmill Creek. It will be a Church forum for individuals and churches, focusing on the needs of United Methodists but open to all. Because of the religious nature of the forums I will not be discussing any of the details here, but I will let y'all know how we are doing in the process. You are my inspiration.

One of the great parts of the Creek is the quality of the work of the moderators. I take this to heart and will work on wording that allows open and honest expression of ideas, while not allowing insults and personal attacks. On some social issues that will be an interesting line to draw at times, but nonetheless necessary.

Thanks, all.

(Rev.) Brian Kent

Ken Fitzgerald
08-09-2011, 7:39 PM
Good luck with it Brian! The social issues and religion will make for a very interesting (?) and sometimes exciting place to participate and moderate!

Michael Weber
08-09-2011, 8:02 PM
Oh my, you couldn't pay me with all the tea in China to moderate such a forum. I do wish you the best of luck (no sarcasm intended)

Belinda Barfield
08-09-2011, 8:41 PM
This is wonderful Brian. I'm so happy for you. Please keep us posted on how things go. My SO's mother, a staunch Southern Baptist, once described one of her friends in the following manner. "You know Betty Jo, she goes to First Methodist, but I love her anyway." :)

Brian Kent
08-09-2011, 8:56 PM
I confess, Belinda, once I told a Baptist Joke. So I e-mailed my local Baptist pastor to give him a free pass on his next Methodist joke.

John Shuk
08-10-2011, 7:49 AM
A great example indeed. The Outtens and moderators have done an unbelievably good job at Sawmill Creek over the years in keeping it a useful engaging community.

Andrew Pitonyak
08-10-2011, 1:38 PM
I confess, Belinda, once I told a Baptist Joke. So I e-mailed my local Baptist pastor to give him a free pass on his next Methodist joke.

Hmmm, need to figure out who I should email then....

I once told a

Woodworker joke
Engineer joke
Mathematician joke
Baptist, Jewish Atheist Joke
Lutheran Joke (ok, I am Lutheran, so I have told lots of Lutheran jokes)
Magician joke
Animal joke
Sand joke
"old person" joke
"young person" joke
German person Joke
American person Joke
French person Joke
Spoke German with a strong Swedish accent (while telling a joke... I think that the Germans laughed more at my ability to speak German with a Swedish accent than at the joke)
Computer programmer joke
Goat joke (did I mention that I used to raise goats)
Jokes about myself...

Oh my, the emails I must send.

Brian Kent
10-19-2011, 5:16 PM
Well, it has begun.

MethodistTalk.com is up and running, for a whole 5 days now.

Thanks for your encouragement. I won't be talking about content here, just saying thanks for Sawmill Creek teaching me what a good forum behaves like.