PDA

View Full Version : Bark control devices...

Bryan Morgan
08-09-2011, 6:35 PM
My neighbor has a retarded golden retriever that likes to sit behind my bedroom window and bark its head off. I've climbed up on the wall to look at what its barking at and it barks at nothing. It just looks around at the sky barking. My own dogs rarely bark and its only for good reason.... but then I actually spend time with them and take care of them, not just toss them in the back yard.

I'd like some kind of manually controlled device that shuts their dog up. Something I can sit on my window sill and just flick the remote when it starts barking. I see all these ultrasonic things but has anybody actually tried one? Do they actually work? Do they work with golden retrievers? My uncle told me of a manual powered (no batteries or anything) noise making device that his friends used to keep the dogs out of their yard and supposedly it worked awesome... but he doesn't know what its called.

Ted Calver
08-09-2011, 7:17 PM
Similar problem in our neighborhood. High pitched yapping 24/7. The folks on the other side of the yappy dog went to walmart and bought some kind of battery operated bark controller that looked like a bird house. It senses a dogs bark and immediately emits some sort of loud noise that dogs can hear and people can't. Effective radius of 50' IIRC. The yappy dog stopped immediately. Similar to this one only cost about $40.

http://www.petco.com/product/115912/PetSafe-Deluxe-Outdoor-Bark-Control.aspx

John alder
08-10-2011, 9:11 AM
The wife bought a (as seen on TV) one for our own dog did nothing.Many of those as seen on tv items are now in retail stores a real good one I can recomend is the brownie maker

BOB OLINGER
08-10-2011, 12:49 PM
Assuming your neighbor will allow you to put a collar on their dog, buy one of the remote controlled electronic training collars. Given you want to control the situation, just have your finger on the button and push it when he barks. I guarantee it won't take long for the dog to relate barking to getting shocked. The big problem is some dogs can sense when they have or don't have the collar on. So, this may last a few weeks, then you do it over. I believe there are some bark control collars that operate without remotes - you may want to consider this option, but again, the collar needs to be worn by the dog.

Jim Laumann
08-10-2011, 2:30 PM
Since you are looking a for a manually controled, push button device, may I suggest a pellet gun....

Jim

Bryan Morgan
08-10-2011, 3:34 PM
Since you are looking a for a manually controled, push button device, may I suggest a pellet gun....

Jim

Oh believe me I have some bigger stuff that I'd like to use... :D But, its not the dogs fault, its the owner. I've talked to the owner (which was challenging because they aren't native English speakers). If I get the police involved its somehow automatically my fault and I'm a racist... I don't quite follow the logic but thats how it works around here nowdays...

And on top of that, I have the same type of people living on the other side of me and their kids shoot my dogs with their BB guns and whatnot (or used to, until I told them if I ever see any guns pointed in my direction that I can't identify as a toy, real bullets will be flying back in defense) so I don't want to be shooting anything with any kind of projectiles.

I need to move.... :)

Craig Matheny
08-12-2011, 10:22 PM
Bryan looked at your info and your in So Cal go online fill a complaint with animal control for excessive barking dog. They contact the owner give them a warning if they do not control the dog they will get fined. On the kids next door I would have had the police at their front door in minutes if that was my dog they shot.

Good Luck

Bryan Morgan
08-12-2011, 11:27 PM
Bryan looked at your info and your in So Cal go online fill a complaint with animal control for excessive barking dog. They contact the owner give them a warning if they do not control the dog they will get fined. On the kids next door I would have had the police at their front door in minutes if that was my dog they shot.

Good Luck

Believe me I've tried some of this already... but they immigrants (guess) and anything I do to them is racist and always my fault somehow... I am just harassing them or whatever. Plus I don't want them to retaliate which will of course make me retaliate back and it will be an endless spiral. Until I can move I just need something to shut their dog up so I can sleep or watch TV in peace.