PDA

View Full Version : My Winged Box Demonstration on Youtube

Mike Peace
08-09-2011, 2:10 PM
I thought some of you might be interested in the demonstration I did for a woodturning chapter I belong to, Gwinnett Woodworkers. Gwinnett Woodworkers is primarily a flatwork group but also an AAW Chapter. They have started uploading club demos to youtube. This one runs about an hour and twenty minutes as it is a full length video with no editing. I credit Bob Hamilton's youtube series on turning a wing box for my inspiration.

Here is the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dShS70CHXTs

Tim Thiebaut
08-09-2011, 3:03 PM
Mike, thank you very much for posting this, I am about 15 minutes into this already...will finish it up this afternoon, great video so far, I have been wanting to try this...I think this will give me the info I need to do it succesfully.

Jamie Donaldson
08-09-2011, 3:30 PM
204545Since this is a very familiar style of turning to me, I strongly suggest that you bring up the tailstock to secure the workpiece while it is held in the chuck. Not only is this a safety factor, but it reduces the possible vibration or chatter on larger pieces when you're working further out on the tips of larger pieces.

Bernie Weishapl
08-09-2011, 6:00 PM
Mike great video. Thanks for sharing.

Alan Trout
08-09-2011, 7:28 PM
Mike,

Very nice demo. Well done.

Alan

Pete Jordan
08-09-2011, 9:19 PM
Hey Mike,
I really enjoyed watching this! I got a little nervous watching the wings.

James Combs
08-09-2011, 10:00 PM
A very enjoyable video. I love the wooden collet chuck. Will be giving both the box and the chuck a try.

Bob Hamilton
08-09-2011, 10:04 PM
Very nice video, Mike! I have never made one with the sharp bend out at the end of the wings that you show, but on the ones I have made I cut the wings to final thickness in stages and then try not to go back after I have thinned the wood down further in and the wing becomes flexible.

Take care
Bob

Peter Lamb
08-10-2011, 10:17 AM
Super video. I will recommend it to my students in the future as I now recommend Bob Hamilton's tutorials. I also would like to thank you for the credit you give Bob Hamilton. He inspired me to try the winged bowl.
Thanks for your effort and wisdom.
Peter

David E Keller
08-10-2011, 11:39 AM
Nice job, Mike! I picked up a few ideas, so thanks for that!

Bob Wolfe
08-10-2011, 5:35 PM
Great Demo Mike! Thanks for sharing it with us. I really enjoyed watching you turn the winged box. You broke down the process and made it look simple enough for a novice, so I think I might just give it a shot. You showed off some neat little tips and tricks that would be helpful to turning anything, but what really blew me away was the collet ring you made to finish the lid top. What a nifty idea, that thing is so cool. I can't tell you the number of times I've cut a jam chuck just a tiny bit too small and had to use tape, paper towel to try to fix it. I will be copying that idea for sure. Thanks again.

Mike Peace
08-10-2011, 9:12 PM
Thanks for the great feedback. The handout I used for this demo is available for download on my blogspot.