PDA

View Full Version : Dogwood Wedding Goblet

Tim Rinehart
08-09-2011, 8:50 AM
This is a wedding goblet for my niece getting married in less than 2 weeks.
Made from dogwood, 7" tall x 2.5" dia, with captured and now interlocking rings,about 16% MC when turned, hopefully won't see too much additional distortion. Most of the vessel portion is about 3/32" thick, but gets a little heavier towards bottom.
The finish is several coats of wipe on lacquer. I think it should be good for at least one toast of bubbly without causing concern.
Anyone with experience in using lacquer in this application, I would appreciate any insight.
Any other C&C welcome as well.

Steve Vaughan
08-09-2011, 9:28 AM
Tim, that's a really nice looking goblet. I don't think the laquer will be an issue for the one toast. If anything, and should it leave a ring or something, then that's just another something for a memory. Thanks for sharing this. As a pastor who is called on to do weddings, I've started in the last year or so, to give a bowl or something to the couple. You have inspired me to think about making these as my gift to the couple. Thanks!

Richard Jones
08-09-2011, 9:35 AM
That's a nice looking piece, Tim. Very clean lines, especially like the stem. I'm sure she will treasure both the goblet and the sentiment behind it.

Rich

Bruce Pratt
08-09-2011, 11:19 AM
I've used Behlen's Topcoat Lacquer - Gloss (B103-012) (rattle can) for Jefferson cups, and it holds up well to white or red wine; don't know about champagne, but I would guess it will be ok, particularly for a single use. I usually do 4-5 coats, 1/day, and let it air out until you can't smell the solvent.
--------------

Bruce

Scott Hackler
08-09-2011, 11:23 AM
Thats a great looking goblet! I like the proportions and the ball detail. Very nice work Tim. I know they will love it!

Bernie Weishapl
08-09-2011, 11:28 AM
Really nice looking goblet. Very nice form and detail. They will cherish it.

David Gilbert
08-09-2011, 9:49 PM
OK, I'll ask a question. I've never done any captured rings let alone interlocking ones. Am I correct in assuming that you made two captured rings, broke one, interlocked it with the other, and then glued it back together?

I am sure that everyone associated with the bride and groom will appreciate your nice work!

Cheers,
David

Mark Hubl
08-09-2011, 11:52 PM
Well done, looks great. This will make a great gift.

Kathy Marshall
08-10-2011, 1:36 AM
Very nice wedding goblet Tim! I'm sure she'll love and treasure it!

Michelle Rich
08-10-2011, 7:19 AM
great gift..if it's champagne, why a "finish' at all?

John Keeton
08-10-2011, 7:21 AM
I like this one, Tim! And, I bet your niece and the groom will, as well! I have been watching a sickly dogwood tree in the neighbor's yard and hoping when he takes it down, I am in the vicinity!

Alcohol and lacquer generally do not do well together, but there are some alcohol resistant lacquers being made. This one is sold by Rockler, and perhaps others. It is available in gloss or satin.

Steve Trauthwein
08-10-2011, 7:30 AM
As John said, lacquer is soluble in alcohol. I recently attended a demo by Alan Lacer where he recommended Behlen's rock hard table varnish cut 50/50 with solvent and four or five coats applied. Holds up over time.

Steve

Tim Rinehart
08-10-2011, 7:55 AM
OK, I'll ask a question. I've never done any captured rings let alone interlocking ones. Am I correct in assuming that you made two captured rings, broke one, interlocked it with the other, and then glued it back together?

I am sure that everyone associated with the bride and groom will appreciate your nice work!

Cheers,
David
David, I'm absolutely aghast :eek: at the insinuation that I or any turner who consider themselves qualified at the art would stoop so low as to do as you suggested!!;) Ok...you got me! :p

David Gilbert
08-10-2011, 8:24 AM
As John said, lacquer is soluble in alcohol. I recently attended a demo by Alan Lacer where he recommended Behlen's rock hard table varnish cut 50/50 with solvent and four or five coats applied. Holds up over time.

I've used Behlen's rockhard table top varnish on a cherry trestle table. It is a very lovely and durable finish. There is one issue with it and that is the color. Behlen's rock hard table top varnish is very yellow. In my opinion it will work wonderfully on dark woods (cherry, walnut, butternut, etc.) but it will make any light wood appear very yellow. Behlen's sells a solvent (reducer) for this varnish that works much better than regular mineral spirits. Also, once you open the can, be sure to protect it from oxygen to prevent it from setting up in the can. Be sure to do a test before you put it on your goblet because it will be very hard to get it off later.

Cheers,
David

Tim Rinehart
08-10-2011, 9:54 AM
All, thanks so much for the input on the finishes. Had I been really smart, I would probably have coated the inside as a minimum with some solvent based poly. I am interested now in both the Behlens and Qualalacq products which are both available at our local Woodcraft store...so some experimentation with that stuff is in order.
The LOML has wisely taken the goblet and packaged it to prevent my further 'messing with it', which is probably a good thing.
I'll let you all know how it goes and how it stands up to at least a single toast of bubbly, what it's intended for. Will try to get pics of the toast!
Thanks again, some great input here and much appreciated.