PDA

View Full Version : USS Jimmy Carter

Dan Mages
02-19-2005, 9:28 PM
Its quite a unique design! :rolleyes:

Dan

Doug Shepard
02-19-2005, 10:13 PM
It's about time we had a ship named after a woodworker.

Mike Cutler
02-19-2005, 10:16 PM
Easy there Dan! Former bubblehead here, MT2(SS) on the USS John Marshall, And USS Andrew Jackson. I don't think that design would be very hydrodynamic, and the hull cavitation would be atrocous. But the biggest question is? Is that a Georgia peanut, or a Virginia peanut class hull. :p

Jim Becker
02-19-2005, 11:09 PM
LOL! I was just reading about the newest boat on MSNBC earlier tonight...and then to see this! LOL!

Keith Outten
02-20-2005, 6:43 AM
Recently built at Newport News Shipbuilding the new USS Virginia Class Submarine looks different than Jimmy's boat. I can't tell from the photo whether the penut design is from Virginia or Georgia but I would venture a guess that the folks from the Peach State will swear it is their's. Since we have plenty of shipbuilding design and construction to our credit here in the Old Dominion I think we should just give the Georgians their due and let them have all the credit for the USS Jimmy Carter :)

Jim Dunn
02-20-2005, 11:18 AM
Don't most of "our" subs move to the west coast? That is to say are they stationed on both coasts? I've never seen in the news anything about boats comming home to the east coast. Just my question of the day.
Jim

Ted Shrader
02-20-2005, 11:46 AM
It is known as the "Silent Service". I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you. ;) :)

Yes, they are stationed on both coasts, both SSNs (fast attack) and SSBNs (boomers). Groton, CT, Norfolk, VA, Kings Bay, GA, San Diego, CA, Bangor, WA, Pearl Harbor, HI, and Guam.

Ted.

Michael Perata
02-20-2005, 2:52 PM
Let's hope they put up to date maps on this one.

Don't want to see it next month pulling into Guam after hitting a sea mount ala the San Francisco.

Curt Harms
02-20-2005, 3:52 PM
Its quite a unique design! :rolleyes:

Dan
I wonder if our own Glenn Clabo had a hand in that :D

Keith Outten
02-21-2005, 8:10 AM
Jim,

Sooner or later they all must return to a Yard for maintenance/refueling and I believe that the majority of boats and ships are built on the East Coast these days. Electric Boat and Newport News Shipbuilding are constructing the majority of Submarines these days and I know that NNews is the only Yard in the country that is capable of building Nuclear Carriers. Since Norfolk Naval Base is the largest in the world many of the boats built in NNews stay in the area when they are assigned to Norfolk. Hampton Roads is also the best natural harbor in the world which is why the area was settled in the first place. Within visual range you can see Norfolk Naval Base, Newport News Shipbuilding and the Porthsmouth Naval Yard, all are in Hampton Roads where the James River, Elizibeth River and the Chesapeake Bay intersect. They are all within a couple of miles from where the Battle of the Ironclads took place in Hampton Roads.

I'm gonna be watching for the USS Jimmy Carter :)

Glenn Clabo
02-21-2005, 10:47 AM
Keith,
Finally something I really know something about...submarines...

ALL submarines are built by private shipbuildings now. Electric Boat (EB) in Groton Conn and Northrup Gruman Newport News (NGNN) in Newport News. Portsmouth (NH) Naval Shipyard is actually in Maine...which is always in the courts btw. Norfolk Naval Shipyard is in Norfolk, VA...but it could be Portsmouth...because the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard Museum is on the Portsmouth VA waterfront... I believe. The old town/city/county lines were different I guess.

The specs for subs are created by the US Government by guys like me. Interesting that at the interview I had for the job I've been doing for the last 25 years there on the drawing board was the conceptual design for the SSN 21 Class Sub. Yes it was on a drawing board...not computer screen...it was 1980 after all. All submarines are built as hull sections with components included. EB actually builds their sections in RI and they are barged to EB or they can be barged to NGNN and assembled. They can actually build sections and ship them between VA and Conn....and have.

The USS Jimmy Carter (SSN23) which will be heading to Washington State soon is a VERY special sub...not built for peanuts.:D They have capabilities that go far beyond what I can say....but those sub guys out there know what I mean when I say....SPECIAL. We won't see anything close being built in our lifetime. It was designed to bankrupt the USSR...and it had a big hand in it.

Also...The San Fran was mentioned above. I've been very busy lately with some of my guys being out there trying recover from the under sea mount collision it had. This unclassified picture is what a sub looks like when it hits a mountain at flank speed. On the lower right...just under the white spot...is my torpedo tube shutter doors...the are about 10 feet long and weigh a ton. They were crinkled like they were plastic. The bow of the boat holds some sensitve equipment and ballast tanks...which actually acted as a bumber and save the boat. The crew were very lucky and very skilled to get this boat back to Guam.

Jim Becker
02-21-2005, 10:57 AM
Glen, is that bulge above the white spot from the colision or the normal profile? They must have really smacked that thing!!

Glenn Clabo
02-21-2005, 11:02 AM
Yes Jim...The bow is buckled over... 80,000 tons hitting a mountain at speed is a real hit alright. About where that red marker is...is what we call the people tank. The bow of a US sub is free flood...ballast tanks. Just aft of that is the cylinder that withholds the sea pressure...and the people. Close, eh?
What it used to look like...

Keith Starosta
02-21-2005, 11:53 AM
Glenn, I am somewhat familiar with what happened, but what concerns me is....HOW this could happen? Can you elaborate at all on why that sub hit a mountain? I'll understand if it's classified. It's the world we live in these days...

Keith

Glenn Clabo
02-21-2005, 1:18 PM
We..won't know until there is the investigation. Lot's of possibilities from not charted to not on course. There are still many uncharted areas in the ocean...there aren't many subs off course is my...and only my thought.

Mike Cutler
02-21-2005, 8:05 PM
Glenn. As a former submariner, I can only say, thank you for the design of the forward section of that boat. It's a testament to the ship design and building that still exists in this country, whether here or down south, Ken's way. The crew was lucky, but they were also skilled, and I'm sure that the collision alarm scared the beejesus out of them. In my 4 years and 10 months at sea I only once heard the ships alarms go off in an unanticipated and incorrect sequence. I never moved so fast in my life, those guys must have truly been rattled.
I'm also familiar with the area, I did my first three patrols out of Guam. Deep, really deep ocean there.

Chuck Wintle
02-21-2005, 9:12 PM
What is the price tag on a sub like the Jimmy Carter?

Glenn Clabo
02-21-2005, 9:19 PM
Basic... without outfitting .... ~2.5 Billion USD. Fully loaded...????

Chuck Wintle
02-21-2005, 9:24 PM
Basic... without outfitting .... ~2.5 Billion USD. Fully loaded...????
WOW is all I can say! I hope the US Navy get their money's worth out of it. We visited a sub in PortsMouth New Hampshire that was supposed to be the forerunner for all modern usbs.

Glenn Clabo
02-21-2005, 9:29 PM
The USS Albacore (AGSS-569)??? ...first real sub designed for underwater transit (speed). All before her were for surface travel.

Chuck Wintle
02-21-2005, 9:34 PM
The USS Albacore (AGSS-569)??? ...first real sub designed for underwater transit (speed). All before her were for surface travel.
Yes that is the one! She was a test bed for many new ideas and many navies around the world,English, French and even the Russians, base the design of their subs on the USS Albacore.

Carl Eyman
12-07-2005, 9:09 PM
Glen: is that the same kind of blue stuff being used for roofs in New Orleans this year?

Glenn Clabo
12-07-2005, 9:25 PM
Carl...I'm no plastic cover expert...but I'm sure we in the submarine world would only use super secret silent stuff. ;)

Frank Hagan
12-08-2005, 12:52 AM
Easy there Dan! Former bubblehead here, MT2(SS) on the USS John Marshall, And USS Andrew Jackson. I don't think that design would be very hydrodynamic, and the hull cavitation would be atrocous. But the biggest question is? Is that a Georgia peanut, or a Virginia peanut class hull. :p

Can you tap dance?

Just checking to see if my cousin's politically incorrect joke is shared by all sub-mariners!

Lee DeRaud
12-08-2005, 1:05 AM
Also...The San Fran was mentioned above. I've been very busy lately with some of my guys being out there trying recover from the under sea mount collision it had. This unclassified picture is what a sub looks like when it hits a mountain at flank speed. On the lower right...just under the white spot...is my torpedo tube shutter doors...I thought the torpedo tubes on a 688-class were much further aft, about even with the trailing edge of the sail.:confused:

Glenn Clabo
12-08-2005, 6:55 AM
I thought the torpedo tubes on a 688-class were much further aft, about even with the trailing edge of the sail.:confused:

Nope...here's a better picture so you can see where they are in respect to the sail. They are pretty much in this position on all classes nowadays.

Dan Mages
12-08-2005, 7:25 AM
Wow... this popped up unexpectedly! This thread was started around 10 months ago... :confused:

Lee DeRaud
12-08-2005, 11:53 AM
Nope...here's a better picture so you can see where they are in respect to the sail. They are pretty much in this position on all classes nowadays.Never mind, I'm thinking of where the torpedo room is relative to C&C. But it surprised me how steep the angle was between the hull centerline and the tube axis, first time I saw it back in the 80's.

Certainly not like the older boats (before spherical sonar arrays) where the tubes are about as far forward as you can get.

Glenn Clabo
12-08-2005, 12:43 PM
Here's so memories about straight shooters for ya...
http://www.hnsa.org/doc/fleetsub/index.htm

Tyler Howell
12-08-2005, 12:55 PM
Boy!!!:eek:
I bumped a dock or two and even touched bottom once but never hit anything that hard. Awesome pix