PDA

View Full Version : Sissoo Bowl with a round bottom

Kathy Marshall
08-09-2011, 3:27 AM
Needed a fairly quick project today. Had some chainsaw work to finish up, got 2 big boxes of trade wood ready to hitch a ride way up north with some in-laws :D. By the time I was finished, I only had about 1 1/2 hours to spare, so I grabbed another piece of sisso to do another closed bowl but with a round bottom.
This one is a little smaller than the last one, it's about 2 1/2" tall x 5 1/4" wide with just a coat of BLO so far. I really like how this one turned out and now I think I need to do a couple more, each one a little smaller than the last to make a nice set.
This actually has a teeny tiny flat spot on the bottom of about 1/8" diameter lol.

Thanks for looking!
As always comments and critiques are welcome.

Doug W Swanson
08-09-2011, 8:40 AM
way up north :D.

Way up North? C'mon Kathy, it's not like I live in the Arctic Circle!;) I am looking forward to the packages. I can't wait to see what you've packed inside!:)

Anyway, that's a really nice looking bowl! I like the shape and it just begs to be picked up and admired!

Bernie Weishapl
08-09-2011, 11:37 AM
Really a nice bowl and do like the form. Has a warm look to it.

David E Keller
08-09-2011, 3:48 PM
I love this shape! Fondleable!

Allan Ferguson
08-09-2011, 9:05 PM
Really like that wood.

Jeff Nicol
08-09-2011, 10:51 PM
Kathy, What does the tree look like alive? The grain has an almost cloudy ghost like look to it, sort of like the grain just flows one growth ring into the other. I really like this one for the same reason as the others, great form and the small "Footette" works well !

Funny named wood, but nice soft glow toit,

Jeff

Kathy Marshall
08-10-2011, 2:11 AM
Thanks everyone! I see more of these in my future!

Way up North? C'mon Kathy, it's not like I live in the Arctic Circle!;) I am looking forward to the packages. I can't wait to see what you've packed inside!:)

Anyway, that's a really nice looking bowl! I like the shape and it just begs to be picked up and admired!
You mean you're not in the Arctic Circle? You're up north, you're burried in snow for half the year, probably don't see alot of daylight in the winter, so I'd say you're about as near to the Arctic as I'll ever get! That white flaky stuff gets downright cold! lol
The boxes were picked up today, and someone's going to be in MN on Friday!

I love this shape! Fondleable!
Thanks David and it is very fondleable, you might even say its fondleicious!

Kathy, What does the tree look like alive? The grain has an almost cloudy ghost like look to it, sort of like the grain just flows one growth ring into the other. I really like this one for the same reason as the others, great form and the small "Footette" works well !

Funny named wood, but nice soft glow toit,

Jeff
Thanks Jeff! If you do a google seach you can see some pic of live trees. It looks similar to a cottonwood (smaller bright green leaves). I haven't had a lot of it, but it does seem to vary quite a bit from tree to tree. It seems that trees in a residential planting (which tend to get more water) grow faster and develope less heartwood (or at least less color in the heartwood). The log this one came from had very little color when it was fresh cut, but after sitting in the woodpile for about 9 months color has appeared!
I turned some pieces from some larger logs from the same tree and they had a fair amount of dark heartwood which was a rich brown color and the sapwood is a creamy yellow. When green it turns like butter!
I'll take some pics of some of the ends of the logs I haven't cut into yet and some of the log I cut this chunk from, the difference is amazing.

Mark Hubl
08-10-2011, 11:24 AM
Nice curve, a set of these would be cool.

Doug W Swanson
08-11-2011, 11:41 PM
You mean you're not in the Arctic Circle? You're up north, you're burried in snow for half the year, probably don't see alot of daylight in the winter, so I'd say you're about as near to the Arctic as I'll ever get! That white flaky stuff gets downright cold! lol
The boxes were picked up today, and someone's going to be in MN on Friday!

I think you forgot that we Minnesotan's all talk like the people in 'Fargo', too! :confused:

It's really not that bad up here. Summers are great in Minnesota! Sure we spend a lot of time inside in the winter (more shop time for me) but I've been to Phoenix many times when you don't want to leave the house because it's so hot. Heck, you guys need to let your cars run for 15 minutes with the AC blasting just so they cool off enough so you don't get 3rd degree burns from the seats and steering wheels!:eek: lol

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to seeing the packages. It's like Christmas in August for me!

Oh, and for those of you that don't know, Fargo is in North Dakota not Minnesota.;) And we don't say 'You Betcha', 'Ya Sure', etc all the time!:D