PDA

View Full Version : Do you mark your work?

Darren Ford
02-19-2005, 9:00 PM
We've all seen David Marks' gold leaf, Norm's branding iron, and Matt's purpleheart. I'm interested in hearing how many of you try to put a signature element into each of your projects.

It could be a design element, a joinery technique, choice of wood or finish, or even a real signature. Anything that you do, maybe even secretly or subconsiously, to let posterity know it was your craftsmanship.

I'm personally thinking of letting glue squeezeout be my mark. How about the rest of you?

Randy Moore
02-19-2005, 9:05 PM
Darren,
Never thought about signing my work, probably 'cause I don't think it is good enough except for the fireplace.
For that reason and the fact that we don't own a digital camera I have not posted pics.

Randy

Mark Singer
02-19-2005, 9:05 PM
If it comes out great ...I put my stamp on it!...if it is so-so...I randomly pick from SMC members and use theirs....you may be getting credit for some of my so-so stuff;)

Jim Becker
02-19-2005, 9:08 PM
I have an electric branding iron for marking and use it...when I remember to. (The kitchen cabinets are still anonymous...'keep forgetting to bring the dang thing in and deal with it) For turnings, I use pyrography most of the time or if I'm in a hurry, a thin Sharpie...

Jim Dunn
02-19-2005, 9:10 PM
Mark as your so-so work is better than mine kindly use my name. Course, the LOML will ask how I got the time go to Ca. without her finding out about it:)
I have written a letter outlining my ideas, concerns, reasons and a set of plans describing how and why I built all my cabinets in my shop. That way when the old place it torn down in the far future it will be like a time capsule. I haven't made anything that I've needed to sign yet.
Jim

Robby Phelps
02-19-2005, 9:15 PM
I sign and number my work with a Pyrographer. Guess it is just nice that someone could put a name to somthing I made. Just a little ego massage. Also I find my clients like it. Gives it an artsy feel I guess. I get asked all the time by clients if I sign my work.

Robby Phelps
02-19-2005, 9:16 PM
If it comes out great ...I put my stamp on it!...if it is so-so...I randomly pick from SMC members and use theirs....you may be getting credit for some of my so-so stuff;)
Mark you crack me up. I read your posts, and 9 times out of ten you leave me in stiches. It is really fun. Ever thought of being a writer? That is a talent you have.

Jamie Buxton
02-19-2005, 9:39 PM
Yes, I mark it. My initials are JB. With some fiddling, they come out they way they do in the photo below. These letters are about an inch tall, and are made from cherry and yellowheart. I glue them on the furniture in some unobtrusive place -- the back or the bottom or something. I add the date with a sharpie.

I make the letters by first making "bolognas" with the cross sections you see in the photo, and then making lots of slices from the bolognas. I scatter them on a piece of plywood and spray them with finish on one face. One batch covers me for a coupla years.

Karl Laustrup
02-19-2005, 9:51 PM
If it comes out great ...I put my stamp on it!...if it is so-so...I randomly pick from SMC members and use theirs....you may be getting credit for some of my so-so stuff;)Yeah, like someone would believe that I could do work as good as your mess ups.:o :)

I use a branding iron with just my initials and the year.

It is something like this Mark. JKL 2005, just in case.;) :D

Earl Reid
02-19-2005, 9:54 PM
I use a branding iron. I also sign everything and number it. on special items I write a few words. I also have a book that has most everything I ever made, date, No, and who recieved it.
Earl

Doug Shepard
02-19-2005, 10:06 PM
...I'm personally thinking of letting glue squeezeout be my mark.
That's sort of the equivalent of illiterate folks in the past signing with an 'X'. I could (and sometimes do) easily forge your signature.

Seriously, I've been just signing with a Sharpie in some inconspicous place. But I keep thinking one of these days I'd like to get a branding iron. I read somewhere of a woodworker that inlaid a coin into their work. Don't remember who it was, but they would find a coin that had the same year as when the piece was made.

Michael Stafford
02-19-2005, 10:11 PM
I use an electric branding iron that my wife and son gave me many years ago if the piece is large enough to support it. Otherwise I just sign and date it. Most of the time I also include a penny with the date of the year it was made. :)

Robby Phelps
02-19-2005, 10:12 PM
Yes, I mark it. My initials are JB. With some fiddling, they come out they way they do in the photo below. These letters are about an inch tall, and are made from cherry and yellowheart. I glue them on the furniture in some unobtrusive place -- the back or the bottom or something. I add the date with a sharpie.

I make the letters by first making "bolognas" with the cross sections you see in the photo, and then making lots of slices from the bolognas. I scatter them on a piece of plywood and spray them with finish on one face. One batch covers me for a coupla years.
Jamie that is just too COOL.:D A very clever and fun idea. Fantastic.

Robby Phelps
02-19-2005, 10:16 PM
That's sort of the equivalent of illiterate folks in the past signing with an 'X'. I could (and sometimes do) easily forge your signature.

Seriously, I've been just signing with a Sharpie in some inconspicous place. But I keep thinking one of these days I'd like to get a branding iron. I read somewhere of a woodworker that inlaid a coin into their work. Don't remember who it was, but they would find a coin that had the same year as when the piece was made.Christian Becksvoort is a woodworker that hides a silver dollar with the year in his pieces. He is a contributing editor at Fine Woodwoking. His work is pretty awesome.

Keith Christopher
02-19-2005, 10:24 PM
Sometimes I carve it sometimes I brand it. but I always put it there. and I sign them all with a sharpie prior to finish. Who knows maybe some century there' be an auction and it'll talk about a '99 piece from KC wood working signed by keith christopher. LOL

Jim Becker
02-19-2005, 11:06 PM
Yes, I mark it. My initials are JB. With some fiddling, they come out they way they do in the photo below. .
Excellent choice in initials, if I do say so myself... :D (And a very clever way to do it, too!! Excellent!)

Scott Coffelt
02-19-2005, 11:09 PM
I have a branding iron, but lately I have been installing little Medallions that I had laser ingraved out of Rosewood and Maple.

Frank Pellow
02-19-2005, 11:13 PM
Using a wood burning pen, I usually burn my initials and the year into the work in some inconspicuous spot. Recently I was given a branding iron with my name but have not yet figured out how to use it well (some sections seem to get too burned while others are not burned enough).

Jerry Olexa
02-20-2005, 12:25 AM
No I don't. If my work gets better, I'll consider it for future generations in my family. To keep it simple, I just currently sign them "Mark Singer of Calif".:D

Tom McMahon
02-20-2005, 12:50 AM
I used to repair musical instraments. When I had to take the top off of a guitar or violin I would always write a note on the back of the top, where it coudn't be seen from the outside, telling who I was, what I fixed and when. I started doing this when I found a note inside a violin written fourty some years earlier. Now I just sign my name in pencil on the carvings I do.

Mark Singer
02-20-2005, 12:57 AM
Robbie,

I am really on a big salary here at SMC....the minute someone matches it or surpasses it I am........still here...Loyalty "Mark...not everything you do is for money" Mom was very smart:rolleyes:

Mark you crack me up. I read your posts, and 9 times out of ten you leave me in stiches. It is really fun. Ever thought of being a writer? That is a talent you have.

Christopher Pine
02-20-2005, 12:57 AM
I have a rubber stamp I somtimes use.. you know the ones say "From the shop of____________".. Or I just sign it in perm marker and I allmost allways, glue a current years penny in the shallow hole from a forstner bit. I do this on tables for example on the underside somwhere out of direct sight but will be there somtime later when someone is looking at it at someones garage sale :)
Chris

Jeff Pilcher
02-20-2005, 1:05 AM
I saw an article in a magazine a few years ago (can't remember the mag. or the year) where they showed how to etch small brass nameplates at home.
Always thought I would try it eventually.

I really like the idea of embedding a coin somewhere on the project.

Mark Singer
02-20-2005, 1:08 AM
My wife had a different take on this post( dyslexic and pushy!)

"Do you work your Mark? "

I asked what does that mean? "She replied...you made all the furniture , doors, cabinets in the house, right?"

Well , sort of I guess...Dear...

Well I am working you good!

I never thought of it like that....:confused:
Check the link.....you will get the picture...

http://us.f524.mail.yahoo.com/ym/ShowLetter/HomeImprovementcatalog.mpg?box=Inbox&MsgId=4959_11062339_240203_2028_1848360_0_2592_241 7970_748404224&bodyPart=2&filename=HomeImprovementcatalog.mpg&tnef=&download=1&YY=13500&order=down&sort=date&pos=0

Bob Reeve
02-20-2005, 1:21 AM
Yes I sign and put the year made. I use a Sharpie but have been told about a special india ink that is better and comes in marker form. I am going to go look for it.

Alan Turner
02-20-2005, 4:23 AM
I use india ink and a straight pen, and generally sign it -- "Alan Turner Philadelphia 200x" in 3 lines. The ink will run into the wood and blurr a bit, more or less depending upon the wood, so I usually just put a quick little sealer coat of shellac on first to prevent this. I sign somewhere it won't be seen unless one is looking for it, such as the inside bottom of a carcase.
Alan

Jerry Crawford
02-20-2005, 5:35 AM
Signing our work is traditional with flintlock builders. Right on the top flat of the barrel. Either engraving or some kind of unique stamp. A friend of mine is a world class engraver as well and can put his initials or name in a space .010" high. Of course, as Mark suggested, so far mine have been practice pieces so other people are getting credit.

Ken Salisbury
02-20-2005, 6:02 AM
In most cases I use laser engraved medallions of varing sizes. Every now and then I simply use a "sharpie" to date and sign.

http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/woodlogo1.jpg

http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/woodlogo2.jpg

Carl Eyman
02-20-2005, 8:26 AM
I have a branding iron and usually add date and who made for.

Jason Tuinstra
02-20-2005, 10:05 AM
Darren, like many of the others, I have a branding iron. I usually brand, and then follow up with a signiture and date using a Sharpie fine point. Here's the link from when the discussion was had a while back http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=8812

Bob Winkler
02-20-2005, 10:10 AM
I usually coutersink a state quarter with the current year in a hidden place, and sign the work (sometimes with personal message) with a sharpie. My family says that would rather have a handwritten signature to remember me by.

Given the quality of some of my work, hope that's not the only way they remember me.
Bob

Bill Arnold
02-20-2005, 10:48 AM
Electric branding iron.

Tom LaRussa
02-20-2005, 11:50 AM
I'm personally thinking of letting glue squeezeout be my mark. How about the rest of you?
I almost invariably leave a blood stain or three on any piece I make, so I guess you'd say I mark them, although it might take DNA testing to be sure. :D

Jeff Sudmeier
02-20-2005, 2:29 PM
I tend to use a black sharpie to sign my work. The only things I don't sign are those that can't be signed without somewhat hiding it.

scott spencer
02-20-2005, 8:26 PM
I try to give all my pieces a personalized signature to the recipient in an inconspicuous place, as well as adding a penny from the year it was made. The pennies can be tough to find this time of year! (sometimes I use a nickel or dime or whatever I can get...)

Charlie Plesums
02-21-2005, 12:00 AM
For larger pieces (tables, bookcases) I use a sharpie to inscribe something like....

Custom Made for John and Mary Doe by Charlie Plesums, Austin Texas, February 2005

This goes on the back of a drawer or back of the bookcase, where it can easily be found, and also hidden on a structural member where it is not likely to be painted over if there is a burglary. People seem to like that or more (which gets boring), so I am looking for an easier way to do it, and perhaps a little neater so it could go on smaller items, or inside a drawer, etc. I want the date, and preferably the customer name, so branding irons are out.

My ideal would be laser engraving the inscription on a small piece of veneer, but that hardly justifies a laser...

Jerry Ingraham
02-21-2005, 12:16 PM
I use my Dremel with a small bit and engrave this as well as epoxying a shiny penny (taken from C. Becksvoort).