PDA

View Full Version : Cut off from David Keller's Ambrosia Maple

Roger Chandler
08-08-2011, 10:15 PM
I cut a couple of blanks of Ambrosia Maple for the good Dr. Keller, and I had this fall off.........bigger on one end than the other, but too nice to throw away..........hummm.........how can I use this? Better yet, how am I going to get this piece mounted to the lathe?

Anyway, I won't bore you with all those details...........I just thought this cut off was pretty nice, and should be made into something useful.............and it gives David a preview of his blanks.......I think his pieces have more figure than this.

oh, yeah, the thing is still mounted in the chuck and on the lathe.........the shavings are everywhere.........I could qualify for a citation from the shop police :eek::rolleyes:;) I will however clean this mess up! [can't stand it that way for long, and the piece is not finished yet, just a coat of shellac to seal and pop the grain a little.]

I have not measured yet, but I think it is in the 13 inch range..........

I plan to re-sand with abralon, and then coat with WOP............I will post a couple more pics when finished.

Bernie Weishapl
08-08-2011, 10:22 PM
That is going to be a looker Roger. Can't wait to see it finished.

Roger Chandler
08-08-2011, 10:52 PM
That is going to be a looker Roger. Can't wait to see it finished.

Bernie,

I think my biggest challenge now is going to be getting it parted off and finishing out the bottom...........probably will have to use the holdfast vacuum system for doing the finish cuts on the bottom. I think I will just loosen the jaws and put it on the vacuum chuck and finish it off.....no need to part it off.

Roger Chandler
08-08-2011, 11:31 PM
A finish question on this........I had planned on using WOP..........but it will likely be used for a platter for food...[cookies, snacks, etc] should I go with a salad bowl finish instead, or will the WOP be fine?

Kathy Marshall
08-09-2011, 3:01 AM
Looks like that's going to be a really nice platter and the wood is really nice too and should be even better after a finish!
If the bark inclusion goes all the way through, then it might not hold well with a vacuum chuck, but you could turn a jam chuck from some scrap and use double sided tape to hold it (along with pressure from the tail stock). Then finish the bottom area except for where the tailstock is supporting it, that will leave just a little nub that you can carve off by hand. I've been using some double sided tape from Walmart, I think it's Duck brand and it's blue, holds really well!

Roger Chandler
08-09-2011, 6:37 AM
Looks like that's going to be a really nice platter and the wood is really nice too and should be even better after a finish!
If the bark inclusion goes all the way through, then it might not hold well with a vacuum chuck, but you could turn a jam chuck from some scrap and use double sided tape to hold it (along with pressure from the tail stock). Then finish the bottom area except for where the tailstock is supporting it, that will leave just a little nub that you can carve off by hand. I've been using some double sided tape from Walmart, I think it's Duck brand and it's blue, holds really well!

Why Thank you Ms. K! I like getting good tips...........we need one from time to time. Blue double sided Duck tape.......and to think I passed up that double sided tape at Woodcraft a few days ago...........thought it was way too expensive............if this does just as well, then I have a win! Thanks Kathy.:)

Donny Lawson
08-09-2011, 6:44 AM
Really nice platter. It's got some nice character in it and for food safe items I would use either mineral oil,or maybe a salad bowl finish since it will be washed from time to time.

Michelle Rich
08-09-2011, 6:45 AM
Hecky-do Roger, that's "plum purdy" too!!! that's one huge bowl. it will take a structurally sound table to display this one!!! :-)

David E Keller
08-09-2011, 9:37 AM
Very cool, Roger! I'm excited to get my grubby hands on some of that pretty stuff... Thanks to you, that's gonna happen!

Roger Chandler
08-09-2011, 2:47 PM
Very cool, Roger! I'm excited to get my grubby hands on some of that pretty stuff... Thanks to you, that's gonna happen!

David,

The guy at the post office said it should arrive Wednesday or Thursday...........enjoy!

Tony De Masi
08-09-2011, 3:56 PM
Going to be a very nice piece Roger. I think I would go with an oil finish on that one. I've recently finished up some of the same type of wood and used both antique oil and walnut oil. To me, the walnut oil was a better fit as it isn't quite as dark as the antique oil. Either way you will get the benefit of a penetrating oil that will last for quite some time, and it's easy to reapply too. TIFWIW.

charlie knighton
08-09-2011, 8:10 PM
very pretty Roger

Roger Chandler
08-09-2011, 9:04 PM
Thanks Charlie!

Currently, this platter is sitting on my wood stove in the den.........I have re-turned the back of it to take away the decorative rings.........seems that no matter what I did I could not sand out the end grain tear out in those grooves you see in the pics at the top of this thread.........I sharpened my detail gouges, I used folded sand paper, I even took a sharp skew chisel, and still, the tear out showed too much.

I just decided to put it in the vacuum chuck and turn away those rings, and made the base smaller as well....put a nice ogee shape on the bottom........now nice and smooth.........about 4 coats of WOP on at present. I did not have any walnut oil, and the only danish oil I have has a dark walnut pigment in it........that one won't work for maple! So.........I ended up using WOP again.......a good finish.

I plan to let the finish cure for a day, and then go back and use 1000 thru 4000 grit abralon wet sanding and then a final coat of WOP.........should have some nice shine.........

I am tempted to take a few pics now, but I think I will wait till it is done................my wife really likes it! :D

Roger Chandler
08-13-2011, 5:33 PM
Finish added..........still have one light sanding and 2 more coats of finish............thought I ought to get this one posted before I forget!

David E Keller
08-13-2011, 6:07 PM
Looks great, Roger! I love the bark inclusions and all that color! Thanks for sharing with me!

Roger Chandler
08-13-2011, 6:58 PM
Looks great, Roger! I love the bark inclusions and all that color! Thanks for sharing with me!

You are most welcome, David........I hope your pieces turn out to be really special turnings........good luck!