PDA

View Full Version : Shocking discovery about those little batteries....

John R Green
08-08-2011, 9:55 PM
I like to keep all those little small parts in plastic divider boxes including spare batteries for my digital Wixey tools and other electronic gadgets. You know those cute little flat batteries 1/4" to 3/4" in diameter. I had a few loose ones along with a 9v in reserve. Apparently when I closed the drawer they were in, I initiated launch sequence. A little while later, I needed a part from the box and discovered one of those little batteries had blown apart. Batteries stay seperated now..204502204501

Ken Fitzgerald
08-08-2011, 10:49 PM
I suspect the little battery got across the poles of the 9v battery.....for a short time period it shorted across that 9v battery. Was there any marks on the posts of the 9V battery?

Joe Kaufman
08-08-2011, 11:34 PM
Reminds me of the fellow that was hunting in winter and dropped a few .22 rounds in his Down Jacket pocket and shortly heard a loud pop and saw a few down feathers floating around. There was a 9V battery in the same pocket. He wasn't hurt.

Ray DuBose
08-09-2011, 12:29 AM
Forgot when I herd it but years ago someone on the Fire Departments said that you wouldn't believe how many fires are started from people throwing 9v batteries in a junk drawer and them touching metal (specifically Steel Wool). In case you didn't know you can rub a 9v battery with steel wool and it will instantly start burning the steel wool. Nifty party trick or a way to start a fire if your survivor man.

Ray

PS - Other Party Trick is to cut a grape in half and put it in the microwave were it is very close but not touching and you will get a electrical arc between the 2 pieces. Also some brands of Duct tape if you stick 2 pieces together sticky sticky side and pull them apart in a dark room you'll see sparks. Weird..

Bruce Page
08-09-2011, 12:41 AM
PS - Other Party Trick is to cut a grape in half and put it in the microwave were it is very close but not touching and you will get a electrical arc between the 2 pieces. Also some brands of Duct tape if you stick 2 pieces together sticky sticky side and pull them apart in a dark room you'll see sparks. Weird..
In my previous life working around rocket motors if we needed to tape something down we had to use special emf tape. Duct tape was not allowed in the area. You can pull a piece of standard duct tape and peg an emf meter.

ray hampton
08-09-2011, 2:56 AM
In my previous life working around rocket motors if we needed to tape something down we had to use special emf tape. Duct tape was not allowed in the area. You can pull a piece of standard duct tape and peg an emf meter.

someone need to call Myth Busters

Dan Hintz
08-09-2011, 5:53 AM
someone need to call Myth Busters
Why?......

Harvey Schneider
08-09-2011, 7:00 AM
I suspect the little battery got across the poles of the 9v battery.....for a short time period it shorted across that 9v battery. Was there any marks on the posts of the 9V battery?
Don't underestimate the button battery. Just shorting them can cause them to explode. If they are not in a protective package, store button cells between two pieces of clear packaging tape.

Matt Meiser
08-09-2011, 7:25 AM
Good to know. I know we have all our miscellaneous batteries in a small plastic basket including some floating around loose. Most of our regular size batteries are in one of those wall-mounted holders we got with batteries for next to nothing after rebate at Menards which has proven to be pretty nice.

michael case
08-09-2011, 12:47 PM
As they said in Ghost Busters - "Good safety tip!"

Alan Lightstone
08-09-2011, 3:35 PM
My brother was in a business meeting, once, and the person next to him frantically was tapping him on the shoulder to tell him that his attache case was on fire. Shorted out a 9V battery and was smoldering until it burst into flames.

Bruce Wrenn
08-09-2011, 4:54 PM
Once, I volunteered to stop on way home from work and pick up a battery (rechargable) for fellow workers calculator. It was similar to to a nine volt. Stuck it in my pockets with some change. Lets just say I hold the world's record for taking off a pair of pants with a smoldering pocket.

Trent Shirley
08-10-2011, 9:14 AM
Since we are on obscure tape trivia, did you know they have discovered the pulling cellophane tape off the roll releases xrays? They have been looking into using this as a means of producing inexpensive and portable xray machines.
Also, lightning strikes release powerful xray waves.

Floyd Mah
08-10-2011, 11:41 AM
You don't even need the loose change. I sat on a 9v battery once and noticed that my pocket started to get very warm. Lot's of interesting effects when you mix up those chemicals with your butt.