PDA

View Full Version : Juniper bowl

Mark Hix
08-08-2011, 9:52 PM
I posted about a week ago asking if anyone had thoughts on titebond to fill cracks...got some excellent thoughts. I've filled cracks w/ CA and w/ Epoxy. Chris Burgess mentioned the shrinkage factor when it dried. I'm always curious and decided to see what would happen anyway. This is the result. Yep, Titebond does not fill cracks well. It did not flow into the cracks like CA and left gaps that I had to go back into w/ CA. That's ok, now I know.

It's a long long way from the level most of you post but here it is anyway. I've been working on getting a better profile and would appreciate the help. It's about 8", Danish Oil w/ a couple of coats from the rattle can.

Dennis Ford
08-08-2011, 10:26 PM
Nice work, the form looks good and the rim treatment is a nice extra. Juniper is pretty but cracks are almost certain. Did you have problems with tear-out, most of the juniper I have turned had some tear-out somewhere due to a knot or strange grain pattern.

Bernie Weishapl
08-08-2011, 10:29 PM
Mark that is some nice work. I like the rim treatment and the wood is really pretty.

Scott Hackler
08-08-2011, 11:36 PM
Looks good from here. I must live in ideal conditions for cedar/juniper, because I have a good amount of sucess without cracking.

Of course I might change my tune when I unwrap the recently cored sets.... :)

Steve Schlumpf
08-09-2011, 12:02 AM
Mark - sure is a pretty bow! Love the rich color! Nice work on the rolled rim! Seems to match the foot very well! Looking forward to seeing your nest one!

Kathy Marshall
08-09-2011, 2:51 AM
That's a nice bowl Mark! I like the shape and you did a nice job on the rim detail and some really pretty wood!

charlie knighton
08-09-2011, 8:11 AM
very nice, i like the rim

Allan Ferguson
08-09-2011, 3:05 PM
ditto to all the above.

Tim Rinehart
08-09-2011, 3:16 PM
Mark,
Looks good from my angle too. Looking forward to seeing more of your work. One option to consider...I don't always care for look of 'clear' filler when I have a big crack in a piece that I want to save. Sometimes you need to use the CA to get it stable, but consider option of using some inlace materials to accent too.

Mark Hix
08-09-2011, 9:05 PM
I appreciate all the comments.

Dennis, I did not have a problem with tear out until I was almost at my target thickness (of course!). There are lots of cracks and after the initial experiment w/ Titebond, I filled the rest of them with CA.

Tim, I have not used inlace yet but plan to. I filled some large cracks on a different bowl out of the same log with tinted epoxy. It looked pretty cool except I got it too dark, you can't really tell it's blue. That's ok, the point was to practice and to experiment.

I've learned so much from everyone's posts here and I appreciate all the effort everyone puts into explaining their work and giving me tips to improve mine.

John Keeton
08-09-2011, 9:18 PM
Mark, I missed this one! Very nice work, and I, too, like the rim detail. The form looks good from here. On the Titebond issue, I have used it several times with sawdust, and it does pretty well that way. As with any filler, you will need to seal with shellac to avoid staining.

Mark Hubl
08-10-2011, 11:29 AM
Mark, Nice bowl. I really like the form and the contrast in the wood. The rim and foot look good. Shame about the cracks, hope it does not continue.

Dennis Simmons
08-10-2011, 6:10 PM
I appreciate all the comments.

Dennis, I did not have a problem with tear out until I was almost at my target thickness (of course!). There are lots of cracks and after the initial experiment w/ Titebond, I filled the rest of them with CA.

Tim, I have not used inlace yet but plan to. I filled some large cracks on a different bowl out of the same log with tinted epoxy. It looked pretty cool except I got it too dark, you can't really tell it's blue. That's ok, the point was to practice and to experiment.

I've learned so much from everyone's posts here and I appreciate all the effort everyone puts into explaining their work and giving me tips to improve mine.

That's cool, when you say crack it is hard to tell how wide of a crack. You need to use different things depending on how big the crack is. some times I rub the tite bond in with my finger to make it fill. some times I use a thin blade to pack it, It is all what works for you.

Dennis Simmons
08-10-2011, 6:32 PM
This is a hair line crack in cedar, I worked in tite bond dark glue with my finger, then I took a strip of rubber inter tube about 1 inch wide, wrap it around the bowl, at this point you can see the glue buldge out so you know the crack was filled. Let it dry . Be careful with the rubber clamp it puts a lot of pressure on the wood.204659Some times you can open the crack with a razor knife, to make sure the glue gets in, you have to put the glue in it will not just folw in, this is also true with CA glue.