PDA

View Full Version : Shop apron??? Pencil on the ear???

Mark Singer
02-19-2005, 7:57 PM
Do you use a shop apron? No apron? Saw dust on your harry chest? Pencil on the ear?...What does pencil on the ear have to do with wearing a shop apron?
I just wanted to get a vision of my friends working in their shops in their favorite attire and habits... Suspenders? ...Sawmill Creek hat? Why don't you stop asking so many questions and finish the Workstations!......They are done...soon to be posted.(Sorry I went skiing) ....Wife's birthday tonight...no I haven't started drinking.......yet!

Bob Flemming
02-19-2005, 8:03 PM
No apron, fully clothed, and pencils laying all over the place. I buy those pack of pencils at the dollar store.

Doug Shepard
02-19-2005, 8:04 PM
No apron. Unless I have to whisk broom or vacuum myself off at the end of a WW session, I just don't feel like I've gotten anything done. That's actually fairly easy to clean up. I have more trouble with all the stuff that falls into your shoes. I usually keep the pencil in the shallow recess on top of the TS fence.

Per Swenson
02-19-2005, 8:13 PM
When I was 17 years old these were cool. I have worn a variation,
(Camoflage,insulated,pinstripe,white painters,brown,denim,black for partys)
for the last 30 years. You never lose your pencil.
Quick tip,tie a rubberband around your pencil. It won't fall out of your pocket or roll off the bench. Per

Jim Becker
02-19-2005, 8:22 PM
No apron, although I wear two different types of smocks when turning to keep the "stuff" out of my shirt, etc. Pencils are "strategically located" throughout the shop. Typcially a plaid flannel shirt of some kind during the cold months; pocket long-tail tees in the warm weather. "Shop jeans" to complete the fashion statement.

I've been known to occasionally don a schmatta when turning to keep the chips out of my lovely locks... ;)

Tony Falotico
02-19-2005, 8:22 PM
I wear the Dickies Brand one piece jump suits. Get 'em at the mart's (either wall or K), they are cheap, easy to clean, and I find them very comfortable. Don't have to pull the pants up all day. Don't require a belt or suspenders, have plenty of deep pocket space. When it's cold, I wear a long sleeve flannel shirt underneath. Only problem is give yourself lead time if ya' gotta go potty, they can be difficult to get out of in a hurry. :D

Jack Hogoboom
02-19-2005, 8:30 PM
No apron, but I probably need one. Pencils tied to strings and tacked all over the shop. Usually a t-shirt with a pocket on it. Takes about 20 minutes to dig the chips and sawdust out of it. Makes my wife crazy. :D

Jack

Mark Singer
02-19-2005, 8:33 PM
Schmattas are great...to wear...for cleaning...over your head if it starts raining...you neva know???
schmatta[/i] when turning to keep the chips out of my lovely locks... ;)

Steve Wargo
02-19-2005, 8:34 PM
Pencil in ear all day long. Even when I run to the hardware store. At dinner sometimes, and often while watching T.V. I simply forget it's there. I do buy boxes of 20 about every 3 months though, since my kids usually take them from me in the house.

Steve Clardy
02-19-2005, 8:35 PM
Wear a hat. Sawmill creek hat. Can't live without a hat.
Used to have the ol pencil n the ear all time, till I had to return to wearing glasses again. That eliminated the pencil on the ear. Just to clumsy for the ear piece and a pencil both trying to occupy the same spot.
Got a thousand pencils lying around, and never have one handy, nor sharp.
No bib or apron. Tried that. Couldn't stand having the string around my neck.
Tried the small tool puches. Can't stand having all that around my waist, dragging my pants down. Don't have a butt to hold them up anyway.:eek::rolleyes:

Steve. Always looking for a pencil.:(

Ron Robinson
02-19-2005, 8:46 PM
My apron hangs just inside the door. I keep a 6" rule and a pencil in the top chest pocket... with a block plane, a tape measure, and whatever other job specific tools I happen to need in the lower ones. I also usually have a pencil behind my ear and several scattered about the shop but always seem to be looking for one for some reason.

I also almost always clean and put away all my tools after each session... How about everyone else?

Ron

Mark Singer
02-19-2005, 8:49 PM
Wish I could say I put it all away each time.....I think I found the last piece of pizza....a step in the right direction I would say...:rolleyes:
My apron hangs just inside the door. I keep a 6" rule and a pencil in the top chest pocket... with a block plane, a tape measure, and whatever other job specific tools I happen to need in the lower ones. I also usually have a pencil behind my ear and several scattered about the shop but always seem to be looking for one for some reason.

I also almost always clean and put away all my tools after each session... How about everyone else?

Ron

Bart Leetch
02-19-2005, 9:02 PM
Mark

Here is what I wear out in the shop when I am going to be there long enough to make it worth while to wear it.

Steve I couldn't stand the strap around my neck either & heres my answer to the problem.

A modified bucketboss apron. It is sewn onto the top part of a Pair of bib overalls & has a cover to put down over the pockets when machining would cause chips to fall into the pockets. The cover can be held up with velcro when I am doing hand work.

Mark you'll note the pencils in the top pocket of the apron , both a yellow wooden one & a mechanical one as well as a 6" rule. Also you might not be able to see it but there is a carpenter pencil & a yellow pencil down low on the right side. I also carry a bevel square on the right side & a tape measure in the middle of the front as well as a small machinist square & when planing stock for a project a fractional dial caliper. As well as other odds & ends from time to time. I am preparing a small 12 degree block plane to be carried in my apron too. :)

Robby Phelps
02-19-2005, 9:12 PM
I wear the same bucket bros. apron that Bart does. It was necessary as all of the little shop gremlins steal my @$@#!%@ pencils all the time.:mad:

Seriously though, it helps me keep those frequently used items close by. Also keeps the shirts lasting a little longer.

Jim Dunn
02-19-2005, 9:13 PM
Apron here. Got used to it when I worked as a tool-room machinist. White of course:) The pencil and 6" scale are there of course.

lou sansone
02-19-2005, 9:25 PM
Always wear an apron...they are very handy for holding my rule, pencil, and a little scraper. my apron has a set of pockets that safty glasses can go into as well. BTW how about hearing protection? I have found the peltor AM/FM ear protection a real pleasure. If I am working for hours it makes the time go by pretty quickly.

JayStPeter
02-19-2005, 9:37 PM
I try to wear an apron. But, I'm often running down to the shop real quick to do something when I have a few minutes. You'll often find me with a mechanical pencil behind my ear. Both at work and in the shop. Stupid safety glasses get in the way of my pencil though.

Jay

Mike Cutler
02-19-2005, 9:42 PM
Heck, if I could keep track of a single pencil, I'd never find the other tools I lost :eek: Pencils everwhere, rulers everywhere, a couple of verniers scattered about, but no pizza's Mark. I did find 2 cups of frozen coffee this morning tho' ;). No smock's, just LL Beans finest, and a barn coat.

Karl Laustrup
02-19-2005, 9:43 PM
Just got a LV apron a short time ago and have only used it a couple of times, but so far I like it. I don't like the strap around the neck either, but the LV doesn't seem to bother me like the others I've tried. Also, have a hat on unless I'm using my Airshield.

Pencil here, pencil there, pencil everywhere except where I need one. Someday I'll buy a gross and just throw them all over. Probably still not have one where I need it.:o Have 5 tape measures and one folding rule. Never have one where I need it. Buy a gross of those too, I guess.

Before a machine is started I insert my earplugs [reduces 30 decibels] and ear muff type also.

I better quit now as this could get expensive.:eek: :D

John Hulett
02-19-2005, 9:44 PM
I use one of those small construction-worker-like tool belts w/ the leather pouches and a couple of slots for screwdrivers. I keep one or two pencils in the screwdriver slots, combination square and/or speed square, adjustable wrench and phillips screwdriver (for TS blade changes), tape measurer.

I usually wear a hat - especially if it's hot. Jeans, T-shirt and sweatshirt in the winter. I've considered wearing an apron - particularly for keeping the sawdust off of me, so I can leave the sawdust in the shop when I'm done.

John Bush
02-19-2005, 9:49 PM
Got an apron for Xmas and love having pencils,tape measure, 6" ruler, marking knives, etc., in known location. Underneath-usually a peach colored teddy ooooops, wrong forum...

Don Selke
02-19-2005, 10:33 PM
During the cool months I wear light cotton pants and short sleeve shirt. Durning the warm months I wear shorts and loose fitting short sleeve shirt. During the hot months, shorts and a T shirt until 10AM. Out of the shop when the temperature hits 105. I am in the Phoenix AZ area. When the temperatures hit 120 during July thru Sept. I use my shop A/c until 10AM.

When I lived in Illinois, I did not know what shorts were. wore jeans all the time. I learned in a hurry here in AZ. I do not like hats or aprons. Wear oxford type work shoes, I hate sandels. Pencils and rules are located around the shop when I can find them.;) I do wear my Old firefighting cap on ocassions though.

Keith Christopher
02-19-2005, 10:43 PM
Well tool belt backwards (allows me to get up close to the work. I don't have a tool trench on my bench.) jeans workboots. I usually have my safety glasses "cool guy" style on my head until I need them pencil in my pocket. This is usually followed by being covered in shavings/dust. And of course my daughter telling me I look weird.

John Weber
02-19-2005, 10:54 PM
Happy Birthday tp the Mrs. I keep a cup of sharpened pencils on my bench (nothing beats an old Boston sharpener). Usually only behind the ear when doing home repairs outside. No apron, but not a bad idea. I do like a tool belt (side pockets) when doing home repairs as well, but the shop is so small most everything is within reach.

John

Carole Valentine
02-19-2005, 10:55 PM
Saw dust on your harry chest?
Good grief! I hope not! I better be carefull...I could really run with this "What are you wearing" thing!:p

Dale Thompson
02-19-2005, 11:26 PM
Mark,
I generally do all of my woodworking in the nude. :cool: I would love to post pictures but I am afraid that the SMC Server would explode with :eek: icons. ;)

I usually go into the shop with my SMC hat on, a pencil behind my ear and glasses and a tape measure clipped to one of the many wrinkles on my hip. ;)

It's an economic thing. With all of the kickbacks and other mistakes that I make, I figure that my ribs and and belly fat will heal. Shirts, jeans and wood will retain evidence of damage! :eek:

Once again, I am on the leading edge of WW technology. The only problem is that you have to have the "resilient" body that I have. ;) :D :eek: :)

Dale T. (HELP!! I've fallen and I can't get up! ;) )

Steve Cox
02-19-2005, 11:53 PM
I can't work in the shop without my apron. Jeans, boots, shirt, those are optional:p. I have about five pencils of various types and lead hardness plus my tape, 6" ruler, marking knife, wheel gauge, utility knife, 2" and 4" squares, pencil sharpener, eraser and two remote controls, one for the cyclone and the other for the air cleaner. I don't carry my safety glasses because mine are prescription and I change into them when I go into the shop. I really am lost without my apron on.

John Miliunas
02-19-2005, 11:56 PM
I found that the combination of safety glasses and pencil behind ear don't work. Just a bit after Christmas, I decided to try out the apron approach and ordered one from LV. In short, I love it!:) Regular pencil, click pencil and one of those 6" machinist rules in the slotted pockets, tape measure in one of the larger compartments below. Flaps go over those, so you're not fishing around for stuff and coming up with a fistful of sawdust. I probably use it 95% of the time out in the shop now. Also have a turning smock like Jim's for those rare occasions I get on the lathe.:cool:

Jerry Olexa
02-20-2005, 12:19 AM
When I was building my cabin (+10 years ago), I ALWAYS wore a tool belt (like Norm does today). Then I was always up on a ladder or outside or below the foundation piers, etc and you needed your tools with you. Same when I did small projects building decks, finishing a basement etc etc. Now that I'm more mature (read: older) with a bad back and doing more WWing, I seldom wear even an apron. I did buy a shop apron about 6 months ago for when I'm doing electrical (up on ladder) and have never worn it. I have regular lead wood pencils all over my shop and LOVE to use the fine lead mechanical pencils. BUT they work fine for me for about a week and then I end up throwing them away. Never refilled one yet. Maybe there's a hidden art to that so for now I continue to use the old wooden pencils! As far as clothing, I just wear whats comfortable and practical and never a hat. Even the SMC hat stays inside. In summary, GQ would not want to photo me in the shop and the "fashion police" would probably have a field day visiting here!

Alan Tolchinsky
02-20-2005, 12:47 AM
Mark,
I generally do all of my woodworking in the nude. :cool: I would love to post pictures but I am afraid that the SMC Server would explode with :eek: icons.

I usually go into the shop with my SMC hat on, a pencil behind my ear and glasses and a tape measure clipped to one of the many wrinkles on my hip.

It's an economic thing. With all of the kickbacks and other mistakes that I make, I figure that my ribs and and belly fat will heal. Shirts, jeans and wood will retain evidence of damage! :eek:

Once again, I am on the leading edge of WW technology. The only problem is that you have to have the "resilient" body that I have. :D :eek:

Dale T. (HELP!! I've fallen and I can't get up! ;) )

I'm afraid you've broken a couple SMC rules here. First I'm sure you're not allowed to discuss nudity unless you're talking Halle Berry. And I think you're are over the allowed quota of smily faces etc. You're using them all up; save some for the rest of us. And please put your clothes back on before you get something caught in in........ something else. :) Alan in Md.

Mark Stutz
02-20-2005, 12:49 AM
Shop attire consists of prescription safety glasses, so pencils scattered around and in my apron pocket...almost always have the apron on--different one for finishing. Doesn't work well for turning and am thinking about getting a smock, ala Jim Becker. Am I the only one that wears steel toed shoes in the shop? :confused:

Cecil Arnold
02-20-2005, 1:19 AM
Levi's, a blue work shirt (long or short sleeved depending on Texas winter weather) and leather sneakers in the winter and shorts, a "T" shirt with pocket (for a mechanical pencel) and slip-on boat shoes (also leather) in the summer.

Bob Reeve
02-20-2005, 1:27 AM
A very neat leather apron. It was pricey but is comfortable and has lots of pockets. It can be seen and purchased at www.woodworkeracademy.com (http://www.woodworkeracademy.com). Just a happy customer of both the apron and the classes.

Bob

Gary Max
02-20-2005, 3:29 AM
SCM ball cap is for going to town--to nice to wear in the shop.
Wear the cheap ball caps for working--try to get them free with someones ad on the front---most come from sawmills or insurance companies. Heck those folks get most of our money anyway I might as well wear their hats.
Pencil always behind the ear---unless I can't find one---they sneak into the house.
Tee shirt and zipper stlye sweat jacket in the winter--just a tee shirt in the summer.
Sweatpants in the winter shorts in the summer.

Glenn Clabo
02-20-2005, 5:42 AM
Good grief! I hope not! I better be carefull...I could really run with this "What are you wearing" thing!:pNow you did it Carole! :D There's projectile coffee spew everywhere...

Glenn Clabo
02-20-2005, 5:45 AM
Old habits die hard...
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00002NBLT.01-A1ROAW4PRDYZ8L.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

Christian Aufreiter
02-20-2005, 8:04 AM
Sometimes I wear an apron but basically I prefer dungarees – I can’t imagine something more comfortable. Pencil on the ear – that would look cool :cool: but I can’t get used to it. From time to time I don’t wear my shop clothes. It’s tempting to save time by not dressing up in shop clothes but after I messed up some trousers and shirts with glue ... :rolleyes:
After I dropped a metal box on my foot last summer I mostly wear safty shoes today :rolleyes:
And I try to prevent myself from putting stuff (tape measure, pencils, Stanley cutter, key for chucks) in my pockets because I would never find it again :D

Have a nice day!

Christian

Carole Valentine
02-20-2005, 9:22 AM
Am I the only one that wears steel toed shoes in the shop? :confused: Nope. I do, after a vey close call with a falling chisel hile wearing sandals.:(

Bill Arnold
02-20-2005, 9:54 AM
Shorts, tee shirt and sneakers! This IS Florida, after all!!! :D

Jim Barrett
02-20-2005, 10:08 AM
I always wear an apron. Just picked up a LV apron beginning of the year. Replaced my old "The Woodworkers Store" apron I had purchased 15 yrs ago. I usually have a mechanical pencil, lead pencil, a small 2" square, 4" calipers and a Lufkin folding rule in the pockets.

Jim

Lou Morrissette
02-20-2005, 10:25 AM
Up until recently, I always wore an apron. This past Christmas, my daughter bought me a shop coat. Plenty of pockets and keeps the chill down to a minimum in my 58 degree shop. Jeans, flannel shirt and a pencil behind the ear complete the ensemble.

Lou

Mike Tempel
02-20-2005, 10:26 AM
Apron - bib or waist depending on the time of year, stocked with all the tools I use the most (wrenches, small square, carriage bolts for bolting things to the bench, etc.). Shorts and T are a must - too hot here even in the winter for much else. As for the pencil, I keep mine on one of those ID card holders with the extendable string thing (can't think of what you call that thing). When you need it there it is hanging on the front of the apron, just stretch it out, use it and let 'er go and it goes right back to the front of the apron. Never lose one that way. And I don't have to have a hundred pencils lying around the shop.

Dan Mages
02-20-2005, 10:40 AM
I dont use an apron or a tool belt while I am in the shop. They tend to get bulky and can cause saftey hazards if they get pulled into the machinery. I tend to spread out my tools on the work bench and keep my pencils in my pocket.

Dan

Thomas Prondzinski
02-20-2005, 10:54 AM
I used to do the pencil in the ear but too many pencil pricks in the wood from sliding out of your ear. So I wear the apron,just replace mine the other day with one from Rocklers,old one had holes worn in pockets. I carry multiple pencils,6" rule,calculator,dust collector remote. Lower pockets tape measure,old chisel,screwdriver,utility knife.

Tom

Jeff Sudmeier
02-20-2005, 11:02 AM
NO apron for me. I just wear old jeans and a shirt. However this time of year it is COLD in the shop, so I wear long underwear, pants, a turtleneck, t shirt and a sweatshirt. Ohh and of course my FAV stocking cap! Pencil goes on the ear.

Ted Shrader
02-20-2005, 11:12 AM
schmatta

Schmatta - Is that a new word for a "Doo-rag"? :) :) ]

Ted

Ted Shrader
02-20-2005, 11:20 AM
Fully clothed with apron from Lee Valley. Easy on and off with quick release catches.

Apron holds .5mm mechanical pencil Starrett 12' tape in the pocket.
Ted

And Mark - Why do you want to know? . . . .

[

Mark Singer
02-20-2005, 12:10 PM
Ted,

I am doing research for a new cloting line for woodworkers I am starting..."Armani for the Shop"

Fully clothed with apron from Lee Valley. Easy on and off with quick release catches.

Apron holds

.5mm mechanical pencil
Starrett 12' tape in the pocket.
Ted

And Mark - Why do you want to know? . . . .

[

Rob Blaustein
02-20-2005, 12:15 PM
Oops, I see you said pencil on the ear. I prefer pencil in the ear since it doesn't interfere with wearing safety glasses, as some have pointed out. And then I don't have to wear those earmuffs. And I try to stuff my apron full of every conceivable item...of course I can't move, but you can't have everything.

Mike Holbrook
02-20-2005, 2:14 PM
New Lee Valley apron here. The price is great and I don't get yellled at as much for scattering various types of dust all over the house. Highland Hardware had a very nice leather apron at a good price the other day that I was lusting after, more pockets (but not to many) and a smooth leather surface (better for dust to fall off of).

A pencil want stay behind my ear because of my glassed frame:(

John Motzi
02-20-2005, 4:45 PM
I wear one piece short sleeve poplin coveralls by WearGuard. Pencils on the bench or in the breast pocket of the coveralls. I used to keep pencils in my hair when longer (in my case - bushier) hair was in style.

JM

Norman Hitt
02-20-2005, 4:45 PM
Shorts, Pocketed "T" shirt & Reebok Leather Walking shoes, year round. When it's cold, a blue buttoned longsleeve work shirt on top. I have an Ace hardware shop Apron that I use quite a bit depending on what i'm doing. I like a Ball cap, but it's too much trouble anymore because of the Dust mask, hearing protection, & safety cover over my glasses. If it gets below about 28*, I usually don't go to the shop as there's no heat, so my feet eventually get cold from the Concrete floor.

Frank Pellow
02-20-2005, 7:37 PM
It depends whether or not the shop has been heated up. I keep the shop at about 5 degrees Celcius overnight then heat it up to about 15 to 17 in the morning.

The first photo shows me first thing in the morning wearing my heavy lined cotton shirt with my coffee to provide extra warmth while waiting for the shop to warm up. By the way, the ear muffs are not to keep me warm -I was wearingt them to do some sanding which was briefly interupted for this photo.

In the second photo the shop has warmed up to 16 and I am in a short sleaved cotton shirt, Cathcartt overalls (notice pencil in bib pocket), and sneakers. In pockets you can't see in the photo, there are a tape measure, a small square, and two red pens.

I usually wear prescription safety glasses but I had temporarily misplaced them when these photos were taken.

I never wear a hat inside (my mother frowned upon it and I guess she trained me well ;) ).

Jim Becker
02-20-2005, 7:43 PM
Schmatta - Is that a new word for a "Doo-rag"?
No, it's a term that really pre-dates "doo-rag" by several generations!

Jim O'Dell
02-20-2005, 9:19 PM
I do the pencil above the ear. But as I age, my hair tends to be worn shorter and shorter. I'm finding these days that the pencil falls off a lot more, then I wonder just were I lost it. When I'm painting, or in the sun a lot, I'll wear a cap "rally" style so the bill keeps the sun off my neck. During these times, the pencil will pop up into the cap and helps hold it better. Jim.

Wes Newman
02-20-2005, 9:30 PM
I usually wear whatever I have on that day, which really iratates my wife, because that means I'm usually wearing my good slacks with a polo shirt or nice button down. I always carry a mechanical pencil and pen in my pocket.

Mike Stanton
02-20-2005, 11:18 PM
:D I wear bib overalls . They have places for lots ot things. And I blow them off when I go into the house. They help my cloes last longer and I like them. Mike

John Scarpa
02-20-2005, 11:47 PM
My sister and law gave me an apron as a gift and I do try to remember to use it. When I get out to the shop though I always seem to get into things for quire awhile before I remember it! Usually its jeans, sneakers and an old shirt.

Max Schultz
02-21-2005, 8:21 AM
As Mike has said I also wear bibs for the comfort and the convenience of "mobile storage". I always have pencil on the ear even after I leave the shop. Somehow I can remember to empty the contents of my "mobile storage" but can never take the pencil from the ear. They will accumulate near my Lazy-boy until the wife says to "get them out of here" and then the process starts all over again.;)

Max Schultz
Warsaw, IN

Greg Heppeard
02-21-2005, 8:47 AM
Oops, I see you said pencil on the ear. I prefer pencil in the ear since it doesn't interfere with wearing safety glasses, as some have pointed out. And then I don't have to wear those earmuffs. And I try to stuff my apron full of every conceivable item...of course I can't move, but you can't have everything.

LMAOPMP

Nice one!!!

I usually wear jeans, T shirt and shoes. Pencil goes under the right side of my hat or laying where I put it last (where the heck is that darn thing?) Tape measure on right side of belt and cell phone on left side (not that I can hear it ring with the saw and dust collector going)

Corvin Alstot
02-21-2005, 9:39 PM
I've been known to occasionally don a schmatta when turning to keep the chips out of my lovely locks...
Tell me that your Stubby 750 looks like a Oneway 1018.

Jim Becker
02-21-2005, 9:47 PM
Tell me that your Stubby 750 looks like a Oneway 1018.
Old, pre-Stubby picture, Corvin!

Charlie Stein
02-21-2005, 10:51 PM
Hi All,
It is good to be back.Nope on aperon here,but do ware what I call a turner's smock.Well was going to post a pix,but can't get it to work,so you might want to look at my Picture Trail. www.PictureTrail.com/c-b-woodpeckershop.Album What Have You.
Just Charlie

Lincoln Myers
02-24-2005, 11:08 PM
I have a canvas Bucket Boss apron that I try to use when doing some serious work. But I have found that this little tool pouch fits the bill nicely as well. It keeps my most frequently needed 'things' close to me.

It has a metal clip on the back that can clip over belt or onto pants' pocket. The screw driver is one of those w/ 4 bits, Needle nose pliers, utility knife, flashlight, Sharpie and pencil.

These tools are not all (obviously) woodworking centric, but they are almost always needed at some point while I'm out messin about in the garage / shop.

-Linc

Dan Gill
02-25-2005, 9:00 AM
No apron. Shorts and pocket t-shirt in the summer, old cargo pants and long sleeve pocket t-shirt in the winter. The pocket is for my pencils. Gotta have that. I've thought about a belt or fanny pack so I don't have to track all over the shop to pick up my tape measure. Again.

Jason Tuinstra
02-25-2005, 9:20 AM
Put me down for a shop apron/personal dust collector :p

Ron Jones near Indy
02-25-2005, 8:31 PM
LV apron and pencil on the ear, in the apron pocket, on the bench, on the table and every other place EXCEPT where I need one.

Marvin Ewing
02-25-2005, 9:51 PM
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?DeptID=5028&FamilyID=4833This is the apron I wear all the time. The straps go over your shoulders not around your neck. Very comfortable. A little pricey but well worth the money.

Tom Kelley
02-27-2005, 12:53 PM
I wear a small apron around my waist I got on sale from Rockler. It looks like I'm wearing a loin cloth. I will eventually go to a full size apron.

How do I get that Sawmill Creek hat?

Frank Pellow
02-27-2005, 1:06 PM
How do I get that Sawmill Creek hat?
An order for a number of hats was placed last summer. They sold out.

Jackie Outten was supposed to be arranging another order of hats (and mugs), but she has not yet done so. Jackie, when is this likely to happen?

Jackie Outten
02-27-2005, 1:29 PM
Frank,

I will put up the link for the hats on Tuesday, March 1st. I will take order for hats until March 15th at which time I will place the order. I am still working on the mugs. What I really need to know is if more people would be interested in the travel mugs or the ceramic coffee mugs. I have to order a minimum of 50 of either to place the order so I will go with the majority on this one; however, if there is enough interest, we can get both.

Jackie

Frank Pellow
02-27-2005, 1:43 PM
Frank,

I will put up the link for the hats on Tuesday, March 1st. I will take order for hats until March 15th at which time I will place the order. I am still working on the mugs. What I really need to know is if more people would be interested in the travel mugs or the ceramic coffee mugs. I have to order a minimum of 50 of either to place the order so I will go with the majority on this one; however, if there is enough interest, we can get both.

Jackie
Thanks for the fast response Jackie. Good to hear about the hats. Will you be running a poll in order to ask about the mugs?

Bill Neely
02-27-2005, 2:36 PM
I used the Skiller work vest system for the last few years before I retired. I still use the vest in the shop.

Bill Ryall
02-27-2005, 8:54 PM
Jeans, boots and flannel shirt this time of year.

Jeans, boots, and t-shirt when it is warmer.

Carpenter's belt (like Norm) with pencils, tape, combo square, 16oz estwing hammer most of the time, working on the house or in the shop. I switch to a knee length leather machinist's apron when working with metal or turning. Always have the safety glasses on the top of my head or on my nose.

Bill R.

Karl Laustrup
02-27-2005, 9:07 PM
Thanks for that inquiry Frank. ;) :)

I was thinking about that just before we headed to the WW show last week in Milwaukee. Thought how kewl it would have been to be wearing a SMC hat.

I'm anxiously awaiting Tuesday so I can place my order.:D :D

Bill Hanlon
12-13-2005, 2:11 PM
I wear a shop apron all the time. I sand all the time also and am covered in sawdust. The apron helps a lot. I am also looking for a shop apron with "chaps" to cover more of my trousers.

tod evans
12-13-2005, 2:15 PM
no apron, takes a ball cap to keep a pencil behind my ear due to a 3"part. :) tod

Russell Svenningsen
12-13-2005, 2:42 PM
I work in the buff. :D :D :D Nary a stitch of clothing on! 6'8", 350lbs. of "Grade A" man-meat......:rolleyes: ......okay, I don't but someone had to say it!

T-shirt and jeans, plus a comfortable pair of ol' black shoes. Pencil ALWAYS behind the ear. At work as well, as a choral conductor, I need to have a pencil at the ready at all times. The first thing my 4-year old does when he comes out with me is put a pencil behind his ear. There are probably several thousand pencils in my shop, none of which I can find when I really need one. They're like socks in the dryer or something.

Someday I'll have some sort of apron, but for now, paint-spattered t-shirts are the way to go!

Jim Hinze
12-13-2005, 3:01 PM
I have a rockler denim apron I put on if I remember but it fits very snugly --> they don't make aprons for us full figured ww'ers :D :eek: , pencils all over, but never can seem to find it... I usually work bearfoot for some reason (carpeted basement shop).

Mark Singer
12-13-2005, 3:13 PM
Someone is looking in the archives....just cause I come up with some crazy shtuff....you don't have to keep reminding me:rolleyes:

Lynn Sonier
12-13-2005, 3:55 PM
I wear an old pants and t-shirt which I never wash once I start using in the shop. I have a habit of wiping glue off on the pants so they get sorta stiff after a while. Its a relief not to have to worry about the clothes. I also wear an apron sometimes.

Andy Hoyt
12-13-2005, 4:16 PM
As I mostly do high end work for the jet setters in the world I have to be prepared for unscheduled visits by clientele, so ---- Top Hat and Tails

Only time I wear an apron is during major glue-ups so I have a convenient place to get all the crap off my fingers.

Corey Hallagan
12-13-2005, 5:57 PM
I might go into the shop and start working in just a t shirt and jeans if just using the table saw. Been known to even go in and make a few cuts in my Robe :), If I am using the router table or sanding I wear and apron. I have a different apron for finishing. Pencils, pretty much all over the place, pocket, bench etc. Never behind the ear. Nothing funnier than to watch a person look for a pencil that is nestled behind the ear!

Corey

John Miliunas
12-13-2005, 6:05 PM
Never behind the ear. Nothing funnier than to watch a person look for a pencil that is nestled behind the ear!

Corey

Yeah, especially if it's the nurse who ends up with a rectal thermometer behind her ear!:eek: :D :cool:

scott spencer
12-13-2005, 6:09 PM
Hi Mark - I wear an apron when it isn't real hot out. This time of year I wear full coveralls to stay alive and if I think about it I'll put the apron on. Pencil behind the ear until the earmuffs go on. My shop is rarely as clean as I'd like it, but when it's below 20F out there it's a mess! :eek:

Glenn Clabo
12-13-2005, 6:42 PM
just cause I come up with some crazy stuff....you don't have to keep reminding me:rolleyes:
This will live forever...if I have anything to do with it. :p

Gail O'Rourke
12-13-2005, 6:49 PM
Hi, interesting thread. I have an apron but I never wear it. I have a pink tool belt www.pinktoolbelts.com (good xmas gift) and I wear it all the time, because it fits me better than mens, smaller waist. I wear old jeans, and usually a STOP LOOKING shirt (this is my trademark shirt that reads "you found your new cabinetmaker" on the back) and always my safety glasses and there is usually a pencil or three behind my ear or in my hair. But normally the tip has broken off.

Tom Hamilton
12-13-2005, 6:58 PM
I wear a small Duluth tool belt, more like the old fashioned carpenters nail apron to carry layout tools, a scary sharp 3/4" chisel, tape measure, machinist 6" rule, utility knife, a small sharpening stone and a few pencils.

Also keep pencils on the drill press, near the table saw and on top of the miter saw cabinet.

My shop is 12x24 so nothing I need is too far, I just like having a place for everything and the apron works well for me.

Merry Christmas, Tom

Vaughn McMillan
12-13-2005, 7:26 PM
I wear an old striped denim shop apron (it was my grandad's) most of the time, especially if I'm sanding, sawing or gluing and still wearing my office clothes (non-holey blue jeans and t-shirts and sweat shirts). If I'm in my weekend grungies, I may or may not have the apron on. The pencil pocket on my apron has a hole in the bottom, and I've been too lazy to set up the sewing machine to fix it, so I have pencils all over the shop, both the flat carpenter's pencils and the 0.5MM mechanical ones for use with the Incra scale. I've also got a couple different tool belts that I only wear on the rare occasions where I need a hammer and a pocketful of nails, or my tie wire spool.

- Vaughn

Kelly C. Hanna
12-13-2005, 7:45 PM
Jeans, T-shirt or pullover if cold, no apron, pencil in pocket of carpenter pants or in ballcap over ear, reading glasses on top of ballcap, speed square in back pocket when necessary.

Then I usually have some interesting music on the CD player, Hot Tuna, Free, Wishbone Ash, Hendrix...you know, normal music! :D

Dennis Peacock
12-13-2005, 8:13 PM
Gee Mark.....good question.

I wear Bib Overalls most of the time, and most of the time I wish I had put on an apron to keep all the chips and dust of my bibs...and other places I won't go into here.:rolleyes: :eek: I mainly wear an apron when I'm turning on the lathe since my dust collection doesn't do so good on the lathe while hogging off big curls of wood. Most of my woodworking is done without an apron.

Pencil......sure.....got tired of loosing about 20 pencils a month, so I bought a box of cheap mechanical pencils and put the loop side of velcro on the clip end of each pencil and put the hook side of velcro at a location near each machine. One by the CMS, One by the power switch on the TS, one on front of the BS and one near the lathe. Now that I become used to using them from each respected location....I almost always have a pencil exactly where I need it, within easy reach of where I'm working.

Now....where did I put that other pencil I had just a few minutes ago...:rolleyes:

Dennis Peacock
12-13-2005, 8:15 PM
Yeah, especially if it's the nurse who ends up with a rectal thermometer behind her ear!:eek: :D :cool:

OH!!!!!!!!!!! TMI..!!!!! and Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww...:)

Steve Stube
12-13-2005, 8:31 PM
Vaughn, I've been known to use hot melt glue instead of needle and thread for mending.

No mention of shower caps, (are you all too proud to wear such garb) at 3 for a buck they save lots of cleanup. I find them helpful when spray painting, finishing or generally trying to keep chips from the spinny things gathering as nest material in my hair.

Flanel shirts and jeans most of the time. The only tool belt is worn when doing electrical work.<!-- / message -->

Chris Fite
12-13-2005, 9:08 PM
I wear an apron most of the time to keep up with: the sharpie, ink pen, marking knife, 4" try square, 16' tape measure, pink pearl eraser, 3/4"X3/4"X2" spacing block, and 6" hook ruler. I haven't used a pencil in years.

I washed the glue and sawdust out of the apron once in the decade or more that I have been using it. It does a great job of protecting my clothes. Otherwise, I wear jeans and a T shirt in summer or a long sleeve shirt in winter. Usually a ball hat and sturdy shoes round out the attire. The overhead lights can be a tad glaring at times.

Shop is steady 65 degrees in winter thanks to the radiant heat system. Rarely more than 80 in summer thanks to insulation and shade trees.

I usually keep everything put away, so I can find it when I need it. I also sweep up at the end of the day.

Roger Bell
12-13-2005, 9:34 PM
No hat. Dont wear hats indoors. Wasnt brought up that way. Apron....not unless I'm sanding or turning. No tool belt unless I'm high up on a ladder. Dont care for projects involving ladders or wrenches. Two-pocket cotton work shirts (striped blue hickory or blue chambray depending on season) with two 2B cedar pencils in left shirt pocket as well as 6" Starrett rule. No mechanical pencils. Often a wool vest in winter. Old cotton dress slacks, usually tan, pleated front, no cuffs with button suspenders. No clip-on suspenders. Dont wear clip-on suspenders. Wouldnt want to be seen in clip-on suspenders. Wasnt brought up that way. No belt. 12' measuring tape on right rear pants pocket as is quick-deploy folding knife. Wool socks, summer and winter. Slip-on Romeo shoes. That's my system and I am sticking to it.

Dale Thompson
12-13-2005, 10:22 PM
Hi Folks,
Because of this thread, I'm starting a new business! :) I am inventing a pencil magnet. :cool: It will be designed to set up a strong magnetic flux between a wooden pencil and a person of class known as a woodworker. :cool:

When the nuclear generator is activated, it will pass a wooden or mechanical pencil through a hyperbolic pencil sharpener and deposit it on the ear, pocket, belly-button ring, nose ring, etc. of the proud owner using proven GPS technology. :cool:

To pre-order, send a Cashier's Check, Certified Money Order, Gold bullion or Titanium chips in the amount of only $17,000,000.99. :D

Our payphone website is: daletpencilmagnetwithgpstechnologyandatomsplitting reactor@youhaveGOTtobekidding.soontoberichguys/dalet/stupid

All I need is ONE order, folks, and all of my problems will be solved. :)

HEY! Pencils have been yellow since Caesar was a Corporal! ;) GET A GRIP!! (no pun intended). :) :D

Dale T.

Dan Larson
12-13-2005, 10:42 PM
My shop uniform:
-old crappy t-shirt
-carhartt overalls
-birkenstocks (can't stand to wear anything else on my feet)
-bullet-proof safety glasses

My wife laughs at me every time she sees me dressed this way. I remind her that I'm not likely to run into Mr. Blackwell down in my shop anytime soon...

Dan

Rick de Roque
12-13-2005, 11:39 PM
My daughter made me an apron and have used it ever since.

Rick

Paul Canaris
12-14-2005, 6:12 AM
No apron
Suspensers & Jeans or Carhartt bibs
Pencil behind ear
Cigar in mouth:D

Michael Gabbay
12-14-2005, 8:28 AM
I wear a Bucketboss apron so I can keep my LV saddle square, pencils, 6" ruler and tape measure at hand. I also have my DC remote clipped on it. Otherwise I'd lose it all! :)

Mike

Michael Gabbay
12-14-2005, 8:31 AM
Hi Folks,
To pre-order, send a Cashier's Check, Certified Money Order, Gold bullion or Titanium chips in the amount of only $17,000,000.99. :D

Dale - You need to talk to your VP of Marketing. The price should be $16,999,999.95. It's a proven fact that people generally shy away from buying anything over $17,000,000.00. Maybe that's why sales have been a little slow. :rolleyes:

Mike

Mark Singer
12-14-2005, 9:05 AM
One day in summer, I was going through the stacks of exotic hardwood at Austin with my sandels on....these were 8/4 boards 10" wide 10' long...and in my haste to find the perfect board...one of them came down end first on my toes......oooooh...oooooh....oooooh.. I used a few words I can't repeat here.... I came to the lumber yard so well equipped...gloves, moisture meter...small plane..(I like to see what rough boars look like) , tape measure, pencil.....shoes? ...no sandels!:rolleyes:

"Don't do it...don't you break my toe"...the whole way home I ws singing the song by The Band....a coupe of words changed and a new appreciation for shoes. BTW ...I didn't loose the nail:rolleyes:

tod evans
12-14-2005, 9:10 AM
..(I like to see what rough boars look like) ,
i believe that`s our state pig??????:)

Mark Singer
12-14-2005, 9:15 AM
..(I like to see what rough boars look like) ,
i believe that`s our state pig??????:)
Tod it is really hard to use a plane on them...they squeel...and snort....they don't seem to mind the moisture meter...but, they really don't like the plane.....I think several of them saw that scene in "Deliverance" also....;)

Seriously, I am a terrible typist! I am slow and make a lot of mistakes...so read my posts, please !....a whole lot of work goes into them:rolleyes:

tod evans
12-14-2005, 9:22 AM
mark, i`m probably worse than you! i just had to do it though after reading steves post earlier. :) tod

Michael Pfau
12-14-2005, 9:51 AM
Leather apron, when I remember to put it on, pencil in ear, mouth, and all over the workbench! Diet Coke near by. Talk radio going on, chew in my lip! This is how I work...wow...I am terrible!

Rob Bourgeois
12-14-2005, 10:02 AM
Not really like this but close.

Ed Blough
12-14-2005, 11:25 AM
The bucket bros modified the apron and there is a strap from the back of the neck down to the waist that keeps the strap off your neck.
I got mine when I realized I was spending more time hunting for pencils, rules, tapes, and project parts than I was constructing. Plus the bib front has saved about 3 dozen tee shirts from the glue/stain monster, wife is more than happy.

It is always loaded with one mechincal pencil, one carpenter pencil, 6 inch rule, block plane, marking crayon, tape measure, marking/utility knife. It has pockets for small parts and project pieces and even hanging loops for hammer and such if I'm doing an install.

In answer to someone else's question yes I clean up everything after each session. Each tool is back in it's spot, the floor is sweep and project pieces are collected and grouped at the end of the day. Each morning I walk into a clean uncluttered shop where everything is in it's place and ready to work. Life is good!

John Hart
12-14-2005, 11:32 AM
Someone is looking in the archives....just cause I come up with some crazy shtuff....you don't have to keep reminding me:rolleyes:

Yes we do! Besides...it's a great question and I wasn't a member yet back then!

Flannel shirt...Sweatshirt while turning. Pencil in the mouth. Bluejeans. Running Shoes with good arch support. (I don't run but they help when standing for hours and hours)

James Ayars
12-14-2005, 11:33 AM
Usually shorts or jeans depending on temp. Tank tops as most t-shirts have necks that are too small for me. A hat since my work area is in the garage and the surrounding area, usually my NRA or the high school where I teach.

No apron etc as I don't like anything hanging on me. I have pencils in several places in the shop. I find plenty on the floor at school and bring them home.

And safety glasses. I've gotten so I put them on if I'm doing anything more then reading.

Tennis shoes(sneakers) on my feet. I only own 3 pairs of shoes, a dress pair that gets worn 4 or 5 times a year and two pairs of sneaks, a "good" pair and an "old" pair.
James

Mark Singer
12-14-2005, 11:42 AM
http://attach.mud.mail.yahoo.com/us.f309.mail.yahoo.com/ym/us/ShowLetter?box=Inbox&MsgId=6459_38175748_962126_1998_362009_0_8023_4879 26_3800369546&bodyPart=3&YY=48398&order=down&sort=date&pos=0&view=a&head=b&Idx=1

John Dingman
12-14-2005, 11:50 AM
Mark,

I use the Woodcraft Ballistic Shop Apron (Makes it sound sorta manly eh?) :rolleyes: I use a bigger pencil to keep it from falling out every time I bend over to pick something up :D A pic from the old shop.

http://www.johnswoodshop.us/Images/Work%20Bench%20Vises%20010.jpg

John

Mike Zozakiewicz
12-14-2005, 1:39 PM
I asked for an apron for christmas because the LOML won't let me out of the basement with sawdust clinging to me...oh wait, maybe that's a good thing!:D

Mike

Bart Leetch
12-14-2005, 8:29 PM
Here is what I now wear while working in the shop.

The hammer & square in the back pouches are to make them more visible.

This vest system distributes the weight & is very comfortable.

My woodworking buddy gave it to me.

You've come up with some crazy shtuff....& we just have to keep reminding you!!!

Actually Mark this is just as important shtuff as anything else you could post. It may help someone who is trying to decide on what shop apparel to purchase.

Dan Mages
12-15-2005, 12:47 AM
I usually work naked. It helps prevent getting the clothes stuck in the machine and less laundry later.

Just kidding. I have my carhart jacket that is usually stuffed with tools and pencils. I also have a bucketboss apron that I use on occasion.

Dan

James Mudler
12-15-2005, 10:56 AM
Pencil in mouth with a dumb look on my face :p I wear a side pouch and belt to hole my DC remote, pencil, tape, and other things.

Dave Anderson NH
12-15-2005, 12:44 PM
I have 3 shop aprons scattered around in strategic locations. The one I most often use is the turning apron with the velcro neck closure and it is always on me when I'm at the lathe. Boy do I hate it when chips get down the neck into my shirt front and itch- itch- itch.

My Bench room apron is a black canvas one from Hock tools and is used a bit to keep chips off, but more often to keep me from decorating myself with various finishes. Sue hates it when I get paint, varnish, shellac, dye, or stain on my clothes. I call it "The Peacekeeper".

My machine room apron is an old blue canvas one bought at Woodcraft about 25 years ago and it still looks semi-new since I don't wear it that much.

I rarely keep any tools or a pencil in any apron pockets since I always forget that they are there and then I spend the next ten minutes looking for what has been placed in the pocket and forgotten.:D You think I'm joking? Nay, Nay, Nay, sad but true.

Bill Hanlon
12-23-2005, 2:22 PM
Dan;

TMI!

Don Morris
12-23-2005, 3:29 PM
Woodcraft aprons hang just to the side of the door into shop. Have one for me and one for my son. We automatically put them on. 1) for the convenience of the pencils, 12' mechanical ruler, 6" metal ruler, small machinist square, and 2) for the safety. Yep, safety...when I started out woodworking had no apron and had a kickback. If I had the Woodcraft apron on, the black and blue mark would only have been half as big or not even there. We also have 3M 1/2 face masks and ear muffs above the aprons for when we create dust/noise. We use them too. We don't use them when using our handplanes. I know great woodworkers who aren't safe woodworkers and I know great woodworkers who are also safe woodworkers. I prefer the later. Shirts as season dictates.