PDA

View Full Version : Does Delta Band Saw Dust Collection Work?

Whit AndersonIL
08-08-2011, 7:30 PM
I'd like to know what people with new Delta 14" bandsaws think of the dust collection. I'm talking about the models that have a built-in 4" duct collection port. Does it do the job?

I have an older model Delta 14" band saw. I'd like to add dust collection to my saw. I think I can accomplish about the same thing as the newer saws by adding a dust collection port to the lower door. I'm thinking about ignoring the built-in tiny dust collection port right below the table.

On this forum I've seen pictures where several people have modified their old Delta band saws to put a 4" port on the door and run another, smaller hose to the built-in tiny dust collection port. If a single 4" port works well on the new Delta model, perhaps I don't need that smaller port. I'd like avoid that much hose wrapped around my band saw.

What do people think about this idea?

--Whit

mickey cassiba
08-08-2011, 7:57 PM
Does Delta Band Saw Dust Collection Work?
(http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?170686-Does-Delta-Band-Saw-Dust-Collection-Work)not very well...a door mount port will probably work better, but won't look too good.

Bruce Wrenn
08-08-2011, 9:07 PM
My dust collection for my Delta 14" works so good that Wood Magazine awarded it "Top Tip" last summer. Requires NO CUTTING of saw. Under terms of agreement, I can't publish pictures but someone else can if they have installed it.

glenn bradley
08-08-2011, 9:57 PM
I have a port in the lower cabinet and after improving the below the table port (perhaps like Bruce's, I don't know) I just capped the lower port; nothing ever gets down there anymore.

OK, found Bruce's. Very nice. Much more refined than mine:

Whit AndersonIL
08-08-2011, 10:38 PM
I have a port in the lower cabinet and after improving the below the table port (perhaps like Bruce's, I don't know) I just capped the lower port; nothing ever gets down there anymore.

That's a nice adaptation Bruce made.

Glenn--

You didn't come right out and say that the big port on the lower cabinet didn't work for you, but I suppose that if you had that port and were still making changes to the upper port, that means you weren't completely happy with the lower cabinet port.

--Whit

Harvey Pascoe
08-09-2011, 6:17 AM
I built a plenum or collector box on the right side of the door that extends from base to underside of table. Made of masonite or hard board it is held in place by the door frame and one stud and wing nut for quick removal for blade changes. The single box pulls air and dust from the wheel housing and from under the table. Best of all, it took about only 4 hours to make.

It works reasonably well but as with a table saw, will not keep dust off the table.
At least the lower wheel no longer throws dust straight up in the air. It only uses a 2.5" port to 4" duct.

glenn bradley
08-09-2011, 1:56 PM
Glenn--

You didn't come right out and say that the big port on the lower cabinet didn't work for you, but I suppose that if you had that port and were still making changes to the upper port, that means you weren't completely happy with the lower cabinet port.

--Whit

Correct. The lower port was collecting what got down there but, so much was left along the trip down, I started to try to collect "further up the path". Once I had good collection further up, the lower port became unnecessary. I change blades frequently so I see that area often. I get about a teaspoon of sawdust every 6 months so, effectively none. There is nothing wrong with a lower collector. It was just that on my saw a lot of mess was made before getting to that area.

Bob Riefer
08-09-2011, 3:41 PM
Good tips, thanks guys. I just had to move my bandsaw during my latest re-org of the shop, thus requiring DC ducting changes. Might as well make this improvement while I'm at it.

Kevin Groenke
08-09-2011, 7:22 PM
The 4" hose at the bottom of the wheel cover really doesn't work very well, too far from the source. Bruce's solution is pretty nice.

We did something similar:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?71257-Band-Saw-DC&p=719012#post719012

(http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?71257-Band-Saw-DC&p=719012#post719012)-kg

Whit AndersonIL
08-13-2011, 12:26 AM
Thanks for all the replies. It sounds like there is consensus that I need to capture the dust close to the table, rather than just at the bottom of the lower door. I'll give that a try.

--Whit

Bryan Morgan
08-13-2011, 2:25 AM
I have no issues with mine. Works well. Its the newer one with the 4" port in the casting on the opposite side from the door. Doesnt get every single tiny spec of dust but gets most of it.

Chris Parks
08-13-2011, 7:12 AM
I don't think BS dust collection works really well because there is no make up air entering the case with the doors closed, think about it. If you had a good dust collection system hooked up to a port just below the table as most are you then need another port to supply the air, just as a TS needs make up air. I think if the make up port was directly opposite the the extraction port or maybe just below it there is half a chance of it working quite well but I have yet to try it. Table dust will have to dealt with by another port, that is obvious.