PDA

View Full Version : A visit to the Springfield Armory National Historic Site

Mike Archambeau
08-08-2011, 7:14 PM
Took the time to visit the Springfield Armory National Historic Site. For 174 years the Armory produced the firearms that the USA used to win and defend our freedom. If you have an interest in firearms history, metalworking, and woodworking, I highly recommend that you plan a visit to the Armory. It is located in Springfield MA. Here is a link to explore: http://www.nps.gov/spar/index.htm

The Springfield Armory made firearms from/during the time of the Revolutionary War, War of 1812, Civil War, both World Wars, and closed around the time of the Vietnam War. On display are firearms from the entire 174 year time interval. From muskets to M1's, including Springfield Trapdoors, bolt actions etc.

When the armory first opened, each gun was custom made. But the need for interchangeable parts caused the revamping of machining techniques and helped to bring about the industrial revolution. The early machines used to produce firearms were powered by the river, but sadly none of those buildings on the river or the machines can be seen today. But up on the hill where assembly occured you can see the collection of firearms and some early machine tools. The Blanchard Lathe that made gun stocks is on display. It is a copy lathe (with a shaper cutter) and it was largely made of wood, powered by a leather belt, driven by water power (and on display with a small electric motor driving the belt). Amazingly compact machine considering it was built about 200 years ago.

Hope you get a chance to visit this historic site.

dave toney
08-08-2011, 8:43 PM
Sounds like a great place to see!
There are two things I used to own but sold that I wish I still had.
A 1969 Z/28 convertible and a M-1 Garand made at the Springfield Armory.
I may yet get a another M-1 Garand, the best battle rifle ever made.
Dave

Mike Archambeau
08-08-2011, 9:44 PM
Sounds like a great place to see!
There are two things I used to own but sold that I wish I still had.
A 1969 Z/28 convertible and a M-1 Garand made at the Springfield Armory.
I may yet get a another M-1 Garand, the best battle rifle ever made.
Dave

Luckily the M1 is still being made, but they are pricey. The Springfield name lives on, but now they are made in Springfield Illinois, instead of Springfield Mass. I have seen, but not shot some of the recent M1s. You can tell it is serious business.

Jerry Sambrook
08-08-2011, 9:52 PM
You can still purchase the original, but used, in good shape M1 from the government at odcmp.com

I will be there again in a couple of weeks with good friend and fellow turner Kirk DeHeer.
Have brought Jimmy Clewes there twice, and a few other turners who have come into the area.

The first Blanchard lathe was developed there, and a working model is still on the floor for demonstration

Bryan Morgan
08-08-2011, 11:12 PM
Luckily the M1 is still being made, but they are pricey. The Springfield name lives on, but now they are made in Springfield Illinois, instead of Springfield Mass. I have seen, but not shot some of the recent M1s. You can tell it is serious business.

I have a Springfield 1911 and I was told its not the same Springfield. Same name, different company.

I'd sure love to see the old factory.

curtis rosche
08-08-2011, 11:30 PM
i shot a Springfeild armories .45 pistol. its was very nice to shoot. fits in your hand perfectly

Bryan Morgan
08-09-2011, 12:12 PM
i shot a Springfeild armories .45 pistol. its was very nice to shoot. fits in your hand perfectly

I do like mine, but its no Kimber :)

Scott Gibbons
08-09-2011, 12:18 PM
I do like mine, but its no Kimber :)

I love my Kimber :)

curtis rosche
08-09-2011, 11:22 PM
yeah the kimber is way better.

Mike Archambeau
08-13-2011, 10:09 AM
If you are interested in seeing what the current production M1A looks like here is a video you may enjoy: http://www.youtube.com/user/hickok45#p/u/5/a6ybkiUl30Q

They are branded Springfield Armory and the one in the video is a short barrelled model call SOCOM 16 with a 16.25 inch barrel.

And a second video where Hickock45 shows the M1A closeup: http://www.youtube.com/user/hickok45#p/u/2/B8qIvWcEIl8

george wilson
08-13-2011, 2:15 PM
A guy I know who served an internship in furniture conservation in Williamsburg got the job as firearms restorer at the Springfield Museum several years ago. Only 2 problems: He knew nothing about guns,and nothing about using metal working machines!! He would ask me questions about buying a lathe,etc. He is gone from there now. I haven't figured out how he got hired for that job in the first place.

Bryan Morgan
08-13-2011, 5:23 PM
Yeah the new Springfield Armory, Inc. is just a licensed name. The original Springfield Armory closed in 1968.

I really do want one of those M1As though... I want the big brother to my little mini14. Has to wait though... I just bought an AK47 (I get to pick it up today actually) so I will have to save up for awhile for the M1.