PDA

View Full Version : Why I hate tacos

John Coloccia
08-08-2011, 6:26 PM
Because you bite into them, and they splinter. After the first bite, the taco goes from being a taco to a messy, wax paper covered, hard to eat nightmare. I just saw a commercial for flat bottomed tacos, and I'm thinking to myself, "The flat bottom will just make it worse...the first bit will completely destroy the bottom and leave you with a handful of splintered taco shell (and wax paper), and a lap full of taco filling soup".

I hate tacos.

Paul McGaha
08-08-2011, 6:30 PM
I love tacos.

So what if they break and leak and stuff (get on your shirt). Finish them off with a fork.

PHM

John Coloccia
08-08-2011, 6:31 PM
I love tacos.

So what if they break and leak and stuff (get on your shirt). Finish them off with a fork.

PHM

Doesn't the taco shell just splinter more when you stab it with a fork? LOL. I predict a lively thread.

John Lohmann
08-08-2011, 6:44 PM
Heat the taco shell with the meat inside, it will stay together

Dave Lehnert
08-08-2011, 6:46 PM
Soft taco is the way to go,

mickey cassiba
08-08-2011, 6:50 PM
Hard tacos just do that...sorry, that's how it is.
Now soft tacos rule...corn, flour, whatever floats your boat. Much better soft.
And you don't have to kill your cholesterol either. Lightly toasted corn tortillas(no oil, just keep it moving)have the coolest flavor.
From the land of breakfast tacos...

Bruce Page
08-08-2011, 6:51 PM
The good New Mexican restaurants around here make their own taco shells and they don’t crack or turn soggy like the store bought junk. You like to cook, learn how to make ‘em.

Jim Koepke
08-08-2011, 6:59 PM
My tacos do not shatter. Store bought taco shells shatter.

Like someone said, you got to buy the corn tortillas and heat them on the stove yourself.

A little tip for burrito lovers…

Take one of the burrito shells to the sink, get your hands wet under running water and rub both sides of the shell. Put it in the microwave for 30-50 seconds. It will be warm and soft and roll around what you put in it much better than using one right from the pack.

We usually load it up with cheese before nuking and then put the other ingredients in when it comes out.

jtk

Jim Koepke
08-08-2011, 7:01 PM
Just another thought with those corn tortillas.

I like to heat them in a cast iron skillet and then melt some cheese on them. They are great just like that or put some salsa in them and eat.

I have also added sprouts, sunflower seeds, meat and other items.

yummmmm!

jtk

Robert McGowen
08-08-2011, 7:13 PM
Not that you can't be from Conn. and be a taco expert, but what does "wax paper" have to do with tacos?

mickey cassiba
08-08-2011, 7:26 PM
:DThey come wrapped in it from Taco Bell:D

Robert McGowen
08-08-2011, 7:29 PM
:DThey come wrapped in it from Taco Bell:DOh, REAL tacos......... LOL

John Coloccia
08-08-2011, 7:40 PM
Okay, okay...I live in Connecticut, but I did a stint in California....so yeah, I'm a bit of a Mexican food snob. Nothing like going to my wife's friend's house and having some good, home cooked Mexican.

Soft tacos. I LIKE soft tacos, but to me it's just a thick tortilla that's not wrapped right.

I've been making my own tortillas lately. Haven't tried making my own taco. Maybe that's the way to go.

How wonderful that I have time to worry about tacos :)

Brian Kent
08-08-2011, 8:10 PM
I agree totally with Taco Bell hard tacos. Can't eat them in the car. I go for the 1/2 lb green burrito.

Now at your finer Mexican restaurants, they use more lard and the hand-made corn tortillas won't crackle.

Andrew Arndts
08-08-2011, 8:57 PM
well, I take a soft shell, slather it with re fried beans, then sit a hard shell and fill it as I normally do. no cracking issues.

Charlie Reals
08-08-2011, 9:21 PM
We now have an official California Mexican taco truck in town. Best place in town and crowded all the time. Street food, can't beat it.

Mike Cozad
08-08-2011, 9:59 PM
The good New Mexican restaurants around here make their own taco shells and they don’t crack or turn soggy like the store bought junk. You like to cook, learn how to make ‘em.Yeah, well for you there is Sadies, so tacos are about the last thing to order on a menu!!!! For the rest of us, there are just plain old hard tacos.....

Bryan Morgan
08-08-2011, 11:08 PM
Because you bite into them, and they splinter. After the first bite, the taco goes from being a taco to a messy, wax paper covered, hard to eat nightmare. I just saw a commercial for flat bottomed tacos, and I'm thinking to myself, "The flat bottom will just make it worse...the first bit will completely destroy the bottom and leave you with a handful of splintered taco shell (and wax paper), and a lap full of taco filling soup".

I hate tacos.

What the? Maybe its because I'm here in So. Cal. and we eat a ton of tacos but our tacos don't do that... Wax paper? Huh? :) I agree flat bottoms would just make it harder to eat. Are you using the store bought yellow things?

Mike Henderson
08-08-2011, 11:55 PM
I love tacos. I don't care if they break as I eat them. It hasn't slowed me down yet when consuming them. Actually, I like almost all Mexican food.

Mike

Bruce Page
08-09-2011, 12:30 AM
Yeah, well for you there is Sadies, so tacos are about the last thing to order on a menu!!!! For the rest of us, there are just plain old hard tacos.....
Santiago's restaurant has the best taco's in town IMO. Sadies was sold a few years ago to new owners, it's not as good as it used to be. :(

Dan Hintz
08-09-2011, 5:58 AM
My wife started it, but I put the taco shells (empty) in the oven on a baking sheet @ 375 for 5 minutes or so. No more splintering. But you gotta watch 'em... they're sizzling when you first take them out.

Matt Meiser
08-09-2011, 7:19 AM
We've been doing that with the hard shells too Dan. They taste (even) better too. For tortillas, at Kroger they have the Ortega, Old El Paso, Chi-Chi's, etc ones, but then a little further down the aisle they have all the stuff where the labels are in Spanish. Those are the ones we buy.

I'll admit I like Taco Bell. I go at at least once a week. This past spring I was out of town for work a bunch. When I got back and resumed my usual schedule, the guy behind the counter asked -- "Where've you been? Haven't seen you in a while." :o:D I also like real Mexican. There's a place near the Ford Rouge facility where everyone in there is either speaking Spanish or wearing a Ford badge. We went on the weekend once and were the only ones speaking English. Good food. We've got a pretty good one near us too that is a small chain. Good Margaritas too!

Lupe Duncan
08-09-2011, 8:56 AM
Don't even bother.....In my house when my wife makes tacos or tostadas or anything that has a crispy tortilla, I just put the meat on the plate, cover it with cheese, put the lettuce, tomato, sour cream, and guacamole. Then I get the crispy Tortilla and break the dang thing myself. It's not as messy as having taco juice run down you arm.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-09-2011, 9:08 AM
I prefer El Sombrero..... one of 4 local family owned restaurants........tacos and a large draft Dos Equis.....por favor......

Bob Riefer
08-09-2011, 9:21 AM
Oh man, I'm soooo hungry now after reading this. Btw, I do as poster on previous page does when I don't want a mess... wrap a soft taco around the crunchy one. Best of both worlds. It's like having diced nuts on ice cream. Then again, the kids and I think the mess is sort of funny so we usually just go for it.