PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Riser block for a 12" Delta bandsaw

Scott Hussey
08-08-2011, 6:05 PM
Hey all,

I recently bought a 12" Delta bandsaw with a 1 hp motor off Craigslist for $80. Not too much money and then I realized I didn't get much capacity either. It's throat depth is only 5.5 inches and I want to cut a thicker blank. I realize I may have to cut really slowly or I risk bogging the motor, but in any case, I want to cut a thicker blank, because I want what I want and I don't have the room or the funds for a really big one. :)

In any case, I've searched to the end of the Internet hoping to find a commercial riser block o fit this model and it doesn't look like one is available for this saw(probably because Delta doesn't think it's a good idea), which leads me to wondering if/how I can make my own.

Has anyone ever crafted their own to fit this size of a saw, I'd appreciate any advice and plans if you have them.

I guess I could get a 3x4" rectangle tube with some flat plate on each end and weld it up and give it a go, but if someone has a better idea, I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks for any input.

Tim Thiebaut
08-08-2011, 6:23 PM
Hi Scott, I have been watching CL for bandsaws as well....I probably saw the one you bought since we are both in the metro area. I was unsure about buying one with the shorter throat on it, like you I want to be able to cut through some thicker blanks.....question....does a riser block lift the upper arm assy of the bandsaw to give you more clearance? You then need a long blade is that correct? I have never owned one so I dont have any idea other then what I glean from posts here...

Bernie Weishapl
08-08-2011, 7:37 PM
I bought one after trying to have my metal guy build one. I had a heck of a time getting it aligned and in fact never did. I bought the grizzly riser block and never looked back.

Tim the riser block gives you around 12" thick cut and yes your blade will go from I think 93 1/2" to 105".

Steve Vaughan
08-08-2011, 7:44 PM
Scott, I'm guessing that it could be made up, but I think you'd have some critical areas to watch out for. The ends of the homemade riser block would have be dead even as in parallel to each other because of your alignment issues. You'd also have to be pretty beefy, I think, to allow for the pressure that thing is gonna have to hold.

I'm unfamiliar with that particular b-saw, but when I bought the riser kit for my 14" delta, it came with an extended (longer) upper blade guide arm so that you could adjust it down closer to something thin with the riser installed. You might lose that capability if you don't figure that in also. And, it came with a longer blade guard to the left, by where you install that riser block to keep you from having an open blade to hit your arm on.

Could it be done? Probably. Safely? Well, you'd have to make that call. If they make a riser kit for that model, I think I'd opt for that.

Harry Robinette
08-08-2011, 8:01 PM
Check and see what blade sizes are available, a 14" saw goes from 93 1/2" to 105" a 12" saw with a riser block will probably not fit a standard size blade. So your
going to have to have all your blades made up for you.

Bill Bolen
08-08-2011, 8:51 PM
If you would like it I have an extra Grizzly cast iron riser block you can have. (had some warranty issues and this was a leftover from the repair) You might find it won't fit and you will surly need the big shaft that the bearings fit too in addition to the block. Anyway, yours if you want it and will pay the shipping...Bill...

Kyle Iwamoto
08-08-2011, 9:55 PM
+1 for buying a kit, since the kit is more than the block. You do need the longer guard. Not just for safety, but if you cut 1/2" think stuff, you'll have 5" of blade above it, fluttering around creating problems as well as being unsafe.

Just my $0.02.

Curt Harms
08-09-2011, 8:16 AM
Check and see what blade sizes are available, a 14" saw goes from 93 1/2" to 105" a 12" saw with a riser block will probably not fit a standard size blade. So your
going to have to have all your blades made up for you.

Which is no big deal. There was a guy (Raul Segura or something like that?) that made his own riser block but he seemed to have well above average metal working skills too. And yes you have to think about extending the blade guides and guards. Getting a bandsaw blade to track well can be tricky to start with. Add in possible complications from a slightly out-of-kilter top and and oh my, blade drift for DAYS!