PDA

View Full Version : Something followed me home...

Matt Meiser
02-19-2005, 7:11 PM
I've been lusting after a drum sander after watching David Marks. I've had been thinking about watching for a used one, but searching the archives on a few message boards showed I'd probably be in for a long wait. I asked my wife today, she asked "can it be your anniversary present" and I said "yes." We picked it up while we were out.

I assembled it this evening and ran my first test piece through. I still have a little adjustment to do, but I think I'm going to like it.

Jim Becker
02-19-2005, 7:21 PM
Congratulations, Matt. Having a drum sander available in the shop is a wonderful thing!

Jeff Sudmeier
02-19-2005, 7:56 PM
Matt,

Congrats! A drum sander would be a great addition to any shop!

Randy Moore
02-19-2005, 8:40 PM
A fine looking tool but a wife that is a darn good keeper. Better hold one to her!Randy

lou sansone
02-19-2005, 9:19 PM
congratualtions on the sander. You will find that they are very usefull if you are working with figured wood. People try to push then and use them as a planer, and that is where they get the bad reputation. I happen to have a wide belt ( big woop ti do ) , but the point is that I use that type of "abrasive technology" all the time in the shop. I think you will be very happy with the delta

lou

Mike Cutler
02-19-2005, 9:46 PM
Matt. Your going to like it... alot! I thought I'd only use mine now and then for finishing work, I find I use it just about everytime I'm in the shop. Congrat's on the new toy..errr tool ;)

Doug Shepard
02-19-2005, 10:26 PM
Something followed me home...
Be careful. I've heard if you feed them, they're hard to get rid of.

I've personally got the Performax, but any type sure is nice for working figured wood without getting tearout. I use mine a lot. I don't think you'll regret it.

John Weber
02-19-2005, 10:30 PM
Matt,

Congrats, and like the others have commented I think you will really enjoy it. I've used mine more then I thought I would.

John

P.S. That shop really looks nice and big :)

Keith Christopher
02-19-2005, 10:32 PM
I am so green with envy ! Grats. I want one SO badly. :D

Jim Dunn
02-19-2005, 11:06 PM
Matt, whats not to like? An anniversary and a big ole present to go with it. Now the question is what's she going to get you:D:D:D

John Miliunas
02-20-2005, 12:25 AM
Congrats Matt! I picked one of those up about 8-9 months ago. Does a great job. Also, if you want to make it a bit more mobile, you may want to consider these: http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?DeptID=1091&FamilyID=3703I know it says for contracto saw, but I put a set on my Delta sander and they work super! Enjoy the new tool!:) :cool:

Jerry Olexa
02-20-2005, 12:28 AM
Both the sander and your wife are "keepers". Great tool!!

Alan Turner
02-20-2005, 4:29 AM
I have one that I bought many years ago from a company now long out of business. I use it primarily on veneers, but occassionally it gets pressed into other service, esp. on stuff like zebra wood that I cannot hand plane.
When I bought it (1987) I thought I would use is as an abrasive planer, and at 36" I still sometimes do so on funny wood, but it is a better finishing tool than workhorse.
Hope your DC as good as this guy really spews the dust.
Alan

Matt Meiser
02-20-2005, 9:00 AM
Congrats Matt! I picked one of those up about 8-9 months ago. Does a great job. Also, if you want to make it a bit more mobile, you may want to consider these: http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?DeptID=1091&FamilyID=3703I know it says for contracto saw, but I put a set on my Delta sander and they work super! Enjoy the new tool!:) :cool:

Thanks John. Looks like an economical way to get it mobile which is something I plan to do.

Bill Arnold
02-20-2005, 10:09 AM
Matt,

Congratulations on your new addition! I've taken the plunge also (with great urging, bordering on insistence, from LOML) and ordered a Performax 16-32. Aren't wives like ours great to have around? Mine even lets me do most of the cooking! :rolleyes:

Regards,

Doug Shepard
02-20-2005, 10:43 AM
Matt
I forgot to mention - One thing I did with my Performax that has come in handy and looks like it could work on your Delta too - I was kind of running out of room to store all the little boxes of sandpaper rolls. I built a simple hinged lid box of 1/2" plywood and hung it between the legs under the table. The bottom of mine is just 1/4" hardboard resting on cleats, but if I had to do it over again I'd use the perforated hardboard. Even hooked up to the vac for DC, I get a tiny bit of dust falling through the crack on the lid. It's minimal and I can clean it out if I remove everything and push the bottom out from below, but the perf board would let it fall right through.
Your Delta already has the metal cross pieces to hang it from. I think the newer Performaxes come with a shelf down there. Mine was just open underneath so I had to make some wood crosspieces like your metal ones. If you go for it, it's pretty simple to make. You just need to spend some time planning it out so that the lid clears the legs on the sides, and has enough room at the top to completely open.

Kelly C. Hanna
02-20-2005, 11:48 AM
Nice sander!! Great that wife was in favor as well...:D

Jim Dunn
02-20-2005, 11:52 AM
Matt I don't want to be a wet blanket but I have a similar type caster on my contractor saw and it dosen't work all that well. You'll need to tie the legs together so it's not wobbly. The legs seem to twist on my saw. It's rock solid on it's feet but up on the wheels the legs seem to rack. Just my .02
Jim

Matt Meiser
02-20-2005, 3:57 PM
Actually, today I discovered what will be a cheaper way to get it mobile. I have HTC mobile base from my jointer (6" open stand Delta) that I don't use anymore. I've tried to sell it a few times with no luck so I've just been storing it. Width-wise it is perfect, but needs to be longer. I figured out that I can simply make one cut, and have my dad weld a piece in to make it fit perfectly. Should only cost me a couple bucks for a piece of steel, if he doesn't have something that will work.

Jim Dunn
02-20-2005, 4:00 PM
Looks simpler than anything I've seen.