PDA

View Full Version : Laser Ruler

Jeff Belany
08-08-2011, 2:52 PM
Not sure if this will interest anyone, but it's something I've been meaning to make for some time. Never seem to have the time or else I don't think about it when I do have the time (tough getting old!)

This is a small hook ruler I made up in Corel. Real basic. The reason for making it is to use when trying to measure the image on boards that don't have a square edge, such as ones with a roundover or a chamfer. The hook allows you to measure the actual edge of the board since it reaches over the edge treatment. The hook I put on it serves my purpose but if you wanted more hook it is easily modified. Used a hook ruler for many years when I was in the printing trade. I cut it out of some scrap BB but you can use whatever you like. Only took about 3 min. then I wiped on some black acrylic paint to darken it up. May not last forever but you can always make another.

If you can use it, great, if not, you can't complain about the price! Saved in Ver. 10.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

PS: Hope this doesn't post twice, my post disappeared on me.

Dan Hintz
08-08-2011, 3:03 PM
Might I suggest a somewhat modified shape for the hook/top? At the moment, it has a more... shall we say "phallic"... nature to it.

Jeff Belany
08-08-2011, 3:16 PM
Believe it or not, I even thought about that. This is the same shape printers have used for a century. I suppose it could be easily modified.

Jeff Belany
08-08-2011, 3:31 PM
Here's a modified version, maybe rated PG13.

Tony Daurio
08-09-2011, 11:01 AM
This is so simple, I'm embarrassed it never occurred to me. Thanks Jeff, you've made my life much easier

wilson a augusto
08-10-2011, 10:48 AM
A simple scale in milimeters...

:rolleyes:

Bill Cunningham
08-10-2011, 8:37 PM
Might I suggest a somewhat modified shape for the hook/top? At the moment, it has a more... shall we say "phallic"... nature to it.

Hmmm it only goes to 8:cool: