PDA

View Full Version : Websense

Dave Moran
02-19-2005, 6:58 PM
I haven't been around as much lately as the network )*(^*%% at work have blocked you with a program called websense so now I can only get on at home, game addicted wife and chat addicted teenager. I understand there is a way to get around it using something called an HTML tunnel anyone have a clue as to what that is? It's not like I abused my access, I was on during lunch, breaks and the 1-1/2 hours before I start on the clock.

Jeff Sudmeier
02-19-2005, 7:56 PM
Dave,

You should be able to find an annon portal. One where it seems like you are coming from one site but going to another.

One warning though... many places of employment have policies against using these sites. It is impossible for them to track what you are doing. If they are using a blocking software, they will probably really frown on you going around it.

Good luck! I don't know what I would do without SMC at work!

Jeff

Dave Moran
02-20-2005, 6:31 AM
Jeff, thanks I found a anonymous proxy list, with a search on anonymous portal, if this is what I need, how do I use it? While I am systems design in a high tech industry, fiber optics transport, I am not a network person other than passing IP through fiber.

Aaron Koehl
02-21-2005, 2:31 PM
Dave,

You could also use an SSH tunnel to a remote server, assuming a) they haven't blocked port 22 (which they rarely do), and b) you have a remote server somewhere whose ip address isn't blocked.

These encrypted tunnels (proxies) are easy to set up with programs like PuTTY. If you have a high speed, 24-hr connection at home, you can tunnel through that.

Dave Moran
02-21-2005, 5:22 PM
Thanks Aaron, but no 24 hour access at home, I live in the boonies with more cattle than people. If it wasn't for sattelite, TV would be my choice of chan 8 or off. Funny all those chan and there still isn't anything worth watching, I'm glad I am an avid reader.

Dave

Jim O'Dell
02-22-2005, 2:24 PM
Hey Dave, we have that problem at work also. Our IT guy gives us 100 minutes per day in 10 minute incraments that I can use to get my SMC fix. Where we have the most problems (Lincoln/Mercury dealership) is with the web based training and information searches we need to do to keep Ford happy. One advisor took a 4 hour class the other day, did the post test, and tried to submit it and poof. Lost it all because of websense and how it was set up to filter. IT gurus, a lot like spouses...can't live with them or with out them!!! ;-) Jim