PDA

View Full Version : Another Creeker's turning meeting...SGDD

Mike Cruz
08-08-2011, 1:50 PM
Yup, Same Guys Different Day. My birthday was last Friday (no that wasn't a cheap "Happy Birthday, Mike" ploy) and my wife had asked me what I wanted for my birthday. I'm not easy to buy for. I don't need anything. Things I "want" are usually a bit more than what you can expect a person to spend on you for a present. So, gifts are always a toughie. Well, a day away from the farm is more than I can ever really ask for. So, I asked for a day with some turning buddies. I got the nod. I placed some calls. And it was determined that we (Dan Hintz, Peter Elliott, and I) would meet over at Tony De Masi's on Sunday the 7th. Tony's neighbor has a little pond filled with biters, so our gracious host arranged for us to throw some lines in first thing in the morning.

Before Dan and I took off, I stumbled across a little friend that had seen better days. He had seen his last pile of poop. (I assume he is some sort of beetle that likes poop piles...I have no idea...what beetle doesn't?) Dan's dad is an entomologist. So, I took a few pics of it for Dan to show his dad.

Dan and I showed up at Tony's an hour later than we had hoped, 8 am (no fault of Dan's...he was at my house RIGHT on time...I was the delinquent one). Before we took off to go to the pond, Dan spotted a lizard scurrying between a couple of logs. Cute little bugger.

Within 10 minutes our lures were wet. We threw spinner baits, soft baits, rubber minnows, and even a gimmicky top water frog who's legs vibrate...not so much as a bite. After about an hour and 15 minutes, we packed it in. That's why they call it fishin' not catchin'. Still, a great time. Great way to start the day.

We had expected Peter to show up while we were pitchin' the pond, but he was running late, too. So, while we were plugging away in the shop, Peter pulled in. Like kids in a candy store, we always drool and stare at Tony's lathe... a PM 3420B. So, of course, I brought over a bunch of 18-20" blanks. :D

First order of business was for me turn a handle for my Thompson's 5/8" bowl gouge. I've had it for months now, but hadn't had the opportunity to turn it yet. This was the perfect time. The handle is Cocobolo. I brought the wood back from Puerto Vallarta on either my honeymoon, 1st anniversary, or 3rd anniversary. Not sure which trip it was... So, it's been sitting around for almost 15 years waiting to be put to use. I think it turned out nicely.

Dan was next on the lathe. He had a nice cherry bland that he wanted to turn into a platter. Started out about 17-18" but because of cracks and things, it ended up just under 16"...which is awfully convenient because his lathe at home has a 16" swing!

More posts with continuing story and pics to follow...

Mike Cruz
08-08-2011, 2:08 PM
Then, Peter hopped on the lathe. Guess I was too busy with a 12 oz friend of mine to take any pics... (Don't anyone get all huffy...it would be another 5 hours before I would hop on the lathe again!) Sorry, Peter, no pics of you turning... Actually to be accurate, Peter turned after I did, then Dan turned. See kids, the sauce'll get your memory!

After Peter turned his bowl, we had lunch. Lunch for kings would be more like it! Sausages on the grill. Grilled peppers for the sausages, pasta salad, Fritos. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Them's was good eats.

Back to turning. I hoped on with a little bowl. Hehe. I brought it over as a slab. I cut the excess off with Tony's chainsaw. Then we cut it into a blank. Yes, I said WE. It took three of us to do it. This thing weighed a ton. It was wet, over 20" in diameter (hence why we needed to cut it on the band saw and probably about 10" thick! I tried to cut it's sister out on my 20" BS but it got the best of me...and my saw. The tough part was the weight and holding it and spinning it. The saw handled it just fine.) Tony's such a ham! 204430204429 Here it is on the lathe. 204431 It was a bit too uneven, 204432 so I pulled it off the lathe and evened it out with the chainsaw...muuuuuuch better. 204434204433 Then a couple of pics of the turning. 204435

Tony's next...

Mike Cruz
08-08-2011, 2:14 PM
Here are three pics of Tony battling a dry and figured 19" White Oak blank! Let me tell ya, it was beating him up something fierce. 204437204436204438

Here are our results from the day: Tony's bowl is still on the lathe (he's finishing it up today), my bowl and gouge are in the middle, Peter's bowl is stilling atop my bowl and Dan's platter is on the right. 204439

And finally, here's a pic of the motley crew!

Tim Rinehart
08-08-2011, 2:22 PM
Sounds like a super day had by all.

John Keeton
08-08-2011, 2:35 PM
I have seen cleaner lineups on the wall at the Post Office!!!!!:eek:;):D Looks like you guys had a great time, and a productive one. Very nice looking handle, BTW!! And, an awesome HUGE bowl!

Ken Fitzgerald
08-08-2011, 2:51 PM
Congratulations! Appears everyone had a good time.

charlie knighton
08-08-2011, 3:02 PM
good get together, happy birthday, btw, thanks for sharing

Dan Hintz
08-08-2011, 3:05 PM
Aw, man, and you didn't even mention my birthday this week :p

Roger Chandler
08-08-2011, 3:35 PM
What a great day for you guys! Tony gave me an invite, but I had to be out of town, and Sundays are usually very busy for me anyway.................I told Tony that if he ever gets one of these days scheduled on a Friday or maybe a Thursday, then look out........I'll be in the middle of this pile of shavings!

Tony is a gracious host from all appearances! Nice bowls!

Mike Cruz
08-08-2011, 4:05 PM
Oh, yeah, and Dan's birthday is this Friday. Happy now Dan? :)

Thanks, Roger (and everyone else). It was a lot of fun. Dan and I didn't get back to my place until about 8:30 pm. Looooong day. Loooooooner for Dan. :) Roger, I think the next one will be at my place. I know Tony and I could do a Friday. Not sure about Dan and Peter.

Peter Elliott
08-08-2011, 5:02 PM
204458 204459 204460

204461 204462 204463

Pictures from the Birthday Party...

Mike Cruz
08-08-2011, 5:08 PM
Funny, STILL no pics of you, Peter. What, none by you of you? :) Really sorry about that, dude.

Jeff Nicol
08-08-2011, 6:21 PM
Mike, Nice bunch of smiling faces and big hunks of wood spun around and starting to take shape. I only have a couple guys close by, and they stop in pretty often. Saturday one of them came over with 3 big chunks of cherry burl and he wanted them cored out so he could finish them on his lathe. The largest center chunk was 10+" thick and we cored 3 deep bowls out of that one and the burl was very hard and beat me up pretty bad too so I can feel Tony's pain! We got 4 bowls out of one of the ends and he gave me the other end for my trouble. Always fun to spend time in the shop with turning friends, but yesterday I got a call from Mike Svoma another creeker whe had the belt on his car break about 50 miles from my house, so I got a new belt drove out and fixed that and noticed a puddle under the car. When the belt broke it slapped one of the transmission cooler lines and it was rusty and sprung a leak. So we had to run around and find some hose and some clamps to get him back on the road. No turning, but an adventure none the less!

Wish I was about 600 miles closer or vice versa,

Jeff

Tim Thiebaut
08-08-2011, 6:31 PM
Looks like you all had a great time for sure....wish I had some folks to turn with around here. And that is the biggest bug I have seen in the US...I thought they only got that big over in africa...the dung beatles.

Tony De Masi
08-08-2011, 7:16 PM
It really was a fun day. This time I even let the guys help me clean up the shop too. Although I had to do it agin after I finished that PITA white oak bowl. Man that chunk of wood was natsy. So, thanks for coming over guys and making more turning memories for all of us.

Roger, next time we do this at my place I'll make sure you are able to come first.

Happy Birthday Dan. Hope you get what you deserve, uh want.

Bernie Weishapl
08-08-2011, 7:26 PM
Congrats on what sounds like a great day. Creeker visits are the best.

Harry Robinette
08-08-2011, 8:33 PM
Glad to see everyone had a good day even IF the fish weren't biting.

Bill Bolen
08-08-2011, 9:09 PM
For me this was the"post of the year"! Very entertaining, loads of pic's and a cool story with turners having fun. Congrat's on a great day!

Baxter Smith
08-08-2011, 9:17 PM
Congrats on a fun and educational time I am sure. Great looking roughouts and thats a nice looking handle Mike!

Mike Cruz
08-09-2011, 6:14 AM
Thanks, Bill. Those are some awfully kind words. And yes, we did have a lot of fun, with a lot of laughs...many of them at each others' expense. :)

Baxter, wish you were just a bit closer. I know the drive is a tad further than you'd like for one of these.

I hope to host one soon. Shop's got a bit of cleaning up before I can have a bunch of guys "hanging out" in it. All the projects I've had going on lately made it look like a tornado went through it...but I'm making progress.

Yeah Harry, despite the fish not biting, even the fishing itself was a pleasure. Actually, Dan did get two bites...on his leg from "some" insect. :)