PDA

View Full Version : I was almost done when ...

John TenEyck
08-08-2011, 1:16 PM
I had a ring of red mulberry left over from another bowl project for some reason so I thought I'd put it together with some walnut and ash to create some contrast. I turned the outside a little too small at the top of the bowl which didn't leave me much wall thickness when I turned the inside. I was down to maybe 1/8" and I could feel the wall beginning to flex as I turned it. This is the thinnest I've ever turned a bowl. But I got it turned OK and parted it off. I had it chucked in a jamb chuck to turn the base and was almost done - just one more pass to clean it up, when, yep, I caught the edge of the tool on the wall/bottom edge and it spiraled up the outside wall. I stared in disbelief, especially when I saw that it actually had blown through the side wall and it was less than 1/8" thick at that point. Well, I finished it anyway and it'll serve as a reminder to be extra careful when taking that last pass. Thanks for looking.

John

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-OMVYpuAa8u4/TkAVuiryTyI/AAAAAAAACaQ/PjYdfVs6OAs/s400/IMG_6308.JPG
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-efQCDPgWgT4/TkAVvQWQjjI/AAAAAAAACaU/74LC8dUEiPA/s400/IMG_6309.JPG

charlie knighton
08-08-2011, 1:24 PM
disbelief, yes that is an understatment, thanks for sharing

Scott Hussey
08-08-2011, 1:39 PM
Ah man...that stinks!

I just did the same thing on a little aspen hollow form and it kinda makes you mad!

Good reminder - I always save a piece from each one I blow up to remind me to be careful..sometimes it works better than others.

Ed Morgano
08-08-2011, 1:44 PM
John,
That sucks. I usually try to repair them and then give them away to relatives..... My relatives will take anything if it's free. :D Beautiful bowl by the way.

Paulo Marin
08-08-2011, 2:30 PM
I got something to share with you in regards to accidents like this. I turned it around by taking a different approach. This afternoon, I will take some pictures of my "way out" for you to see, and I am positive you will like the challenge!
Nice bowl anyway!
Paulo Marin

Tim Thiebaut
08-08-2011, 2:35 PM
Oh man that bites...that is a great looking bowl to...I guess this happens to all of us from time to time.

Interested to see what Paulo is going to show us later this afternoon now....

Steve Vaughan
08-08-2011, 4:03 PM
In a word - UGH!

Harvey Ghesser
08-08-2011, 4:42 PM
I can't begin (I won't begin!)to tell you how many times the little voice in my head said "just one more cut!". And then....disaster! Nowadays I don't listen to him:D

Dave Halter
08-08-2011, 5:02 PM
Milk and cereal might be out, but it'll hold popcorn. I've got a couple sitting in my shop that have the same problem.

Donny Lawson
08-08-2011, 5:14 PM
I've never had that problem so far,and hope I don't. I will say that "sucks" to do all that work and watch it fly across the shop.

Bernie Weishapl
08-08-2011, 7:40 PM
That is a bummer. That was a really nice looking bowl. I have one or two like it that had my famous last cut.:mad:

Dick Wilson
08-08-2011, 7:49 PM
It doesn't sound like it was the last cut that got you.....it was the catch:mad: Don't throw it away. If you can't figure out how to recoop start a turned parts box. Save everything. Every once in a while I pull something out of one of my boxes ( I have a number of them:eek::mad:) and incorporate it into the design of another piece.

Bill Bolen
08-08-2011, 8:55 PM
Nice safe and another turner bitten by the infamous "last cut".

Baxter Smith
08-08-2011, 8:58 PM
Bummer. I imagine everyone has a few!

Paulo Marin
08-08-2011, 9:19 PM
DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT MEAN TO SHOWCASE MY WORK... I AM JUST USING IT AS AN EXAMPLE OF HOW A DISASTER COULD BE SAVED!
Now that I got that out of the way, it went like everybody here described.. I guess I will take just one more light cut, and then ... 3 holes showed up.
It started as a cowboy hat, but then like our friend John here, the unthinkable happened.
Well John your piece is too nice to stay like that... So, here is how you can turn that around :) Take out your Foredom tool and replicate the disaster around and make it a nice band around the bowl. It is a really nice piece to just sit reminding you that you should have NOT taken that last cut.

You had a great combination of woods and an overall great job.
I hope it opens your mind to it.
Regards
Paulo

BTW: I made points with the wife... I said I always had her in mind for a nice sexy hat... little did she know;)