PDA

View Full Version : A new Delta jointer in da house

Jim Dunn
02-19-2005, 6:03 PM
Watched as my friend got his newest toy in the shop today. It's a dandy should make lots of sawdust:eek: Now for the question of the day. Since this is a new machine, packed in cosmoline and all, should the in and outfeed tables be removed so as to clean the cosmoline from the gibs and ways? Or is there any cosmoline on the unseen areas of the ways? My friend and I are arguing as to whether or not there is a need for this. His position is that the cosmoline would just lubricate the ways. I say if it is indeed covered in cosmoline it should be removes and lightly oiled. I don't think it is going to move very easily if it's not.

Jim

Bruce Page
02-19-2005, 6:34 PM
Jim, I have to side with your friend. You only need to remove the cosmoline from the exposed surfaces. I have never disassembled a machine to clean cosmoline.

Norman Hitt
02-19-2005, 7:20 PM
Jim, if it is True Cosmoline under there, REMOVE it, as it is meant to be used as a Protectant, Not a Lubricant. It will get harder & harder over time, & will cause the moving parts to become Sticky & harder to move freely. It will also collect dust like crazy, & is MUCH easier to remove now, while it is fairly fresh & soft than later when it becomes a problem.

Just my .02 from Past experience.

Jim Dunn
02-19-2005, 7:24 PM
I've been involved with setting up CNC machines and lathes in the machine shop I worked in. It was my experience that all the cosmoline was removed. That experience came especially hard as I was an apprentice at the time and I got all the dirty work. The nice part was that I got to set up the machines when I was done.

scott spencer
02-19-2005, 7:45 PM
I thought the cosmolene was usually applied only to the bare CI surfaces, and that the gibs and ways usually painted....?

Jim Dunn
02-19-2005, 9:03 PM
Scott, all the machines I've ever been associated with, the ways were lubed. In most instances power lubed or at least manually. Now, I realize, that the infeed table is going to get more usage than the outfeed table as far as movement is concerned and that it is a very slow movement. The gib is only used as an adjustment against one side of the way.

Given that, the question I am really asking is, has anyone ever had a new jointer apart to clean, if there is any to clean, the cosmoline from the ways? It would seem to me, as we already found rust on the painted finish, that the finished and ground areas of the ways and gib would be protected against rust the same as the top of the jointer bed.

John Weber
02-19-2005, 10:43 PM
Jim,

They should have used some assembly lube or grease, but I sure wouldn't try to remove it. On the wear surfaces it will act as a lube, and on the non-wear areas, it will protect them from rust. On very old machines 30/40/50 years old the tables can freeze as the grease "cures", but for a new machine in use you'll not have a problem. Also ways are often shimmed for correct alignment, if you take everything apart it may be much more difficult to reassemble. My guess is the tables were in good alignment out of the crate, so why fool with a good thing.

John