PDA

View Full Version : Refridgerator Recommendation

Ed Gibbons
08-08-2011, 1:08 AM
My GE Profile is a piece of junk. After spending a few hundred bucks to get it fixed, the same part broke for the third time. The first time was under warranty. The part is the "motherboard."

I want to cut my losses and run.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Ed

Bill Huber
08-08-2011, 7:45 AM
All I can say is don't get one with all the junk on it. Get one that has an ice maker and that is about all the extras to get.

I know to many people that have had problems with the ones with the fancy control panels and ice and water on the door and all of those type of things.

John McClanahan
08-08-2011, 8:13 AM
We bought a new one last winter. From my research, Frigidair had a lot of complaints. LG has a very poor service network. Whirlpool and Maytag seemed to have better overall reviews. Several of the other brands are made by Whirpool, with different specs and quality.

John

Bob Riefer
08-08-2011, 8:24 AM
My last ever purchase from Sears was our Kenmoore fridge. Which is manufactured by LG anyways if I remember correctly. After the first one went belly up during week 3 of ownership, an unbelievable fight with Sears to have it replaced, we're going strong 6 years later. So, hit and miss. (I guess this is more of a non-recommendation then).

I will say though to consider a bottom freezer model. That's all we've ever owned and it really does save a lot of bending since the majority of our usage is from the fridge. And, any of our friends that own a side by side model are not happy with them as they have difficulty getting stuff in and out of the narrow sides.

Matt Meiser
08-08-2011, 8:35 AM
I'm sure you won't go back to GE, but we got a basic GE fridge, only thing fancy is that the freezer is below and fridge above. My only complaint with it is that the shelf that holds the crisper drawers seems too narrow for its pegs. Oh, and we found out during delivery that its wider than listed which meant it JUST fit into the space we have and scratched up the side as a result.

How long have you had the failing fridge? You might look into whether you could make a claim under the lemon laws in your state?

Edited to add: Bob, I've got you beat--I've never bought an appliance from Sears. When we were looking at fridges, they quoted us $200 HIGHER than MSRP for the same fridge everyone else was selling for well under. The sales guy then proceeded to tell me to shop around and bring him back the best price I could find and he'd beat it. I told him no thanks--I'll just buy from someone who gives me a fair price to start with and walked out.

Chuck Wintle
08-08-2011, 9:26 AM
I bought an LG fridge a few years ago and, so far, it has help up except for the plastic that surrounds the trays inside that slide in and out. the plastic cracked and split on each tray, several which were replaced under warranty, and the rest i will have to pay for. On this fridge the coils normally on the back of the fridge are now underneath...along with the compressor which is really small. LG have made it as cheap as possible. My recommendation is to buy a basic fridge, check the construction inside and out....if it looks cheap an flimsy then it probably is. My previous fridge lasted 12 years...compressor was burned out and not worth fixing. I asked the service guy why fridges don't last like they once did....he said those days are long gone...it now geared to last only a few years before needing replacement. unless you buy one of the Euro fridges l ike a Bosch, Miele or a Fischer-Paykel.

Jim Tobias
08-08-2011, 12:02 PM
We bought a Maytag H20 after a lot of looking around. Have had it for 1.5 years and no problems. We find it very convenient to store and retreive food.

Jim

Don Buck
08-08-2011, 12:13 PM
I'll add my 5 year old Maytag H2O 'fridge to the list of "won't buy again" list. The motherboad went out on mine within 2 years of purchase and the ice maker works occasionally. I do like the 'fridge's that have the freezer on the bottom.

Brian Elfert
08-08-2011, 2:18 PM
Maytag and Whirlpool are the same company now. I looked at a Whirlpool and a Maytag refrigerator. Every single detail was the same except the Maytag had a wide deli drawer inside instead of two narrower drawers.

I never really had any problems with my GE side by side. Only reason I bought my Whirlpool was to get more freezer space.

Greg Portland
08-08-2011, 2:19 PM
All I can say is don't get one with all the junk on it. Get one that has an ice maker and that is about all the extras to get.Either skip the ice maker or install a flood control valve. Ice makers are notorious for leaking & flooding homes.

Greg Portland
08-08-2011, 2:26 PM
All the consumer fridges are junk (yes, even subzero). Your best bet is to budget in a good service plan. Unlike others in this thread I've had good luck with our Sears service department. Don't be afraid to walk into the store manager's office if you are not getting satisfaction.

Doug Colombo
08-08-2011, 3:09 PM
We also got rid of a GE Profile - we had it for 9 years and the wife never did like it. We bought a Samsung French Door frig about 2 years ago - so far, so good. Love the lower freezer in it - as others have said, which ever make you buy I strongly recommend the lower freezer. French doors are great also - that with the bottom freezer gives you room for very large trays, etc in the frig. One feature that the Samsung has that the others we looked at didn't was dual ice makers - one for the through the door ice, the other in the freezer compartment. It also has dual evaprators (one for the frig and one for the freezer) so you have better indepentent control of the temps in the freezer and frig. Not sure if this is the exact model I have, but it is close to this one (I didn't pay anywhere near the price listed - got mine at Lowes): http://www.samsung.com/us/appliances/refrigerators/RF268ABRS/XAA

Chuck Wintle
08-08-2011, 4:09 PM
look up consumer reports for their recommendations....they seem to have a handle on this type of thing.

Ben Hatcher
08-08-2011, 4:22 PM
If you have any scratch and dent stores in your area, I highly recommend you check them out before buying new. Almost all of them carry items that are basically brand new save for an often cosmetic defect in an area that may not show in your installation.

John alder
08-10-2011, 8:59 AM
We bought a basic frost free energy star freezer over frig by GE last year at home depot. Its noisy and runs a lot but it functions as one would expect.It even states that newer ones run more often and the whirling and gurgling is normal.Just wondering if anyone else found this to be so ??

Bryan Morgan
08-10-2011, 3:20 PM
We went with a Maytag after our Whirlpool died. From what I've read, it doesn't matter whos label is on the outside they are all built by one or two companies now anyway.

For what its worth, we went with a side by side which technically has more CF than our old freezer top but it doesn't seem like we can fit as much in it...

Mike Cutler
08-11-2011, 12:28 PM
We went with Sub Zero's.
We have a dedicated refrigerator,and a dedicated Freezer, not a combo unit.
They have no bells and whistles, were discontinued floor models, and came with full SubZero factory warranties, which is a pretty substantial warranty by itself.
I also have extended warranties on both. Basically they are under full warranty, Parts, and labor for 11 years. Compressor and Evap are 12 years.