PDA

View Full Version : Homemade cyclone

Cliff Newton
02-19-2005, 5:20 PM
I've been trying to think of the easiest and cheapest way to make my own cyclone. I was hoping to use the motor from my grizzly 1029 and an upside down trash can to form the upper half of the cyclone. Does this look feasible? Would the motor burn up from too much airflow?

Jim Dunn
02-19-2005, 6:09 PM
Cliff I'm not to familiar with that particular motor but to much air flow would not burn it up. Unless you mean that the motor would run to fast without any restriction. That normally would be addressed with a damper in the pipe between the top of the cyclone and the motor. My .02
Jim

Jeff Sudmeier
02-19-2005, 6:12 PM
A while back someone posted a cyclone separator they made out of two steel trash cans. They said it worked great! I think that your idea would work... However I would have to concerns. The first is to make sure that the cyclone is built properly to ensure that only the finest of the fines make it to the filter. The second is whether your motor from your grizzly would move enough air. Most cyclones move a LOT of air, so you would not be getting the true benifit of the true cyclone if you weren't moving as much air.

One of the tips I have read about building your own cylcone is to reinforce the area on the oppisite side of the intake pipe. Losts of dust and abbraisive material will be hitting this spot and it could wear through. If you double up the material in this spot, it would help the wear.

All of the above said, I have seen posts on other forums where users took a standard DC Motor and converted it into a cyclone, so it can be done!

Good luck and keep us posted on the way.

mike lucas
02-20-2005, 2:20 PM
You will need something that is very very smooth on the inside. It needs to be about 16-20 inches in diamiter. But yes, you could make your own, I just don't think a trash can is going to give you those two requirements I mentioned above.

Matt Meiser
02-20-2005, 3:31 PM
Take a look at the Oneida C650 cyclone. I use one with my Jet DC1200 blower, which is similar to your blower. It works very well. Probably not as good as a Dust Eliminator/Clarke Echols/Bill Pentz cyclone, but good enough that I have no plans to upgrade. It runs about $300.

Max Schultz
02-21-2005, 8:40 AM
Cliff

I made my own cyclone from the Wood mag. plans and used the same blower that you are wanting to use. I even added 1/2" wide strips to the impeller to increase the performance. I also expanded the outlet and inlet from 5" to 6" to increase air flow. Mine were 5" at the time i purchased the dust collector. I mounted the blower right on top of the cyclone. I purchased the material from a local plumbing and heating place that helped me cut it. I know tha I didn't have over $50. in the actual cyclone construction but I am thoroughly impressed with the results. This was 3 or 4 yrs. ago and I don't have any figures ref. static pressure or velocity but I do know that it sure sucks. I have not had any problems with this setup other that getting carried away and having to shut down the blower to empty the barrel. This tends to want to fill the dust filter bag. I wonder why :confused:
Max Schultz
Warsaw, IN

Jeff Sudmeier
02-21-2005, 9:20 AM
Are the wood magazine plans online? If there are, does anyone have a link? I can't seem to find them...

Cliff Newton
02-21-2005, 9:39 AM
I've see the wood magazine plan for the cyclone. It calls for 30 gauge sheet metal for the body of the cyclone. I don't understand why it doesn't collapse under pressure.

Are the wood magazine plans online? If there are, does anyone have a link? I can't seem to find them...

Jim Becker
02-21-2005, 10:07 AM
Here's the link... (http://store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?woodstore+NM6Snx+cycduscol.html)

There have been several updates since these planes were published including a neutral vane, larger blower, etc. And DO NOT make it from the 30 guage sheet metal...heavier is better and certainly available from any HVAC supplier. You could even have them cut out the parts for a fee if you want to save time. That said, the Pentz design is a better performer and a more up-to-date design.

Jeff Sudmeier
02-21-2005, 10:46 AM
Jim,

Thanks for the link... It does seem to me that the Pentz would be a better option, if I do decide to do this myself.

Thanks for the help!

Jeff