PDA

View Full Version : A bit of Sisso Frivolity

Kathy Marshall
08-07-2011, 11:56 PM
Yes John, I indulged in more frivolous activities even with 194 left to go :eek: , but at least I waited until after I did a few hours of chainsaw work :D .
After seeing the color that had developed in one of sisso logs that had been sitting a while, I decided to cut into another and was pleasantly surprised! I decided to try another closed bowl form (well semi closed anyway). This was a little bit bigger log and had developed even more color.
The bowl is 3" x 5 1/4", walls are just a hair under 1/4". Forgot to take a pic of the bottom, but there is no foot, just a concave depression. I think I just became a fan of "round" bowls, this one fits so nicely in the hands and just feels good.
Just a coat of BLO so far.

204396 204395 204394

Thanks for looking!
As always comments and critiques are welcome.

David E Keller
08-08-2011, 12:00 AM
I love that shape, Kathy! I also really like the little inward slant to the rim... That's probably my favorite rim treatment for bowls.

Roger Chandler
08-08-2011, 6:22 AM
Nice bowl you have there Kathy........a little like some that have been called calabash form.............I have never heard of sisso before you started posting.........does it grow as a lumber tree or is it more of a weed type, sort of like what Osage orange or hedge is considered to be?

John Keeton
08-08-2011, 7:13 AM
Kathy, I guess we will permit you some moments of frivolity!!;) Especially if you continue to turn out bowls like this! Very nice, and the wood is really very interesting. Good you let it "cook" for awhile.

Allan Ferguson
08-08-2011, 4:29 PM
Pretty wood, a favorite shape of mine especially with small bowls. Try making a round bottomed tippy bowl, there are fun.

John Beaver
08-08-2011, 4:51 PM
Kathy,
Very nice form on a beautiful piece of wood.
The round bowls do feel wonderful in the hand don't they.

Faust M. Ruggiero
08-08-2011, 8:32 PM
Kathy,
Bowls this shape just beg to be picked up. Though tricky to do, calabash bowls are my favorite for just that reason. I never saw a Sisso tree. Are they native to the south west? Oh, by the way, love it!!
faust

Baxter Smith
08-08-2011, 9:19 PM
Very pretty wood and a very pretty shape! Well done!

Kathy Marshall
08-09-2011, 2:15 AM
Thanks for the nice comments everyone!

Nice bowl you have there Kathy........a little like some that have been called calabash form.............I have never heard of sisso before you started posting.........does it grow as a lumber tree or is it more of a weed type, sort of like what Osage orange or hedge is considered to be?
Thanks Roger! Doing some calabash bowls is on the list, seems like they're a little taller and a little bit different shape. I need to find some good examples. Dalbergia Sissoo (Indian Rosewood) is native to India, same family as East India Rosewood, Tulipwood and Cocobolo among others (they are all in the Dalberia family. It's planted heavily here as a landscape tree, fast growing and can get BIG. I have yet to see one go down in a storm. Usually it's homeowner that have them taken out because the roots can be invasive and they can be messy.

Pretty wood, a favorite shape of mine especially with small bowls. Try making a round bottomed tippy bowl, there are fun.
Thanks Allan! I just did another tonight with a round bottom. It's got a tiny flat spot about 1/8" diameter just to keep it from rolling.

Kathy,
Very nice form on a beautiful piece of wood.
The round bowls do feel wonderful in the hand don't they.
Thanks John! They really do!

Kathy,
Bowls this shape just beg to be picked up. Though tricky to do, calabash bowls are my favorite for just that reason. I never saw a Sisso tree. Are they native to the south west? Oh, by the way, love it!!
faust
Thanks Faust! See above for Sisso info!