PDA

View Full Version : Dado Storage

Greg Peterson
08-07-2011, 10:17 PM
After finishing up the cuts for the latest project, I can't count the number of times I installed and removed the dado set. Not complaining about that part of it.

But really, there has to be a better way of storing this set, at least from a use stand point. Right now I keep the blades in the box they came in, cardboard with foam padding around the blades and foam pads between each blade. A real pain for back and forth changes.

How do you guys store your dado sets?

Here is a picture of my table saw 'station'. It works nicely for me. Everything is right where I need it.

Keith Westfall
08-07-2011, 10:55 PM
Why can't you do the dado's the same way? Friend of mine has then in an open top box, cut away enough to get them out, but separated from each other...

Glen Butler
08-08-2011, 1:22 AM
Looks like you could fit 5x the sawblades in the top blade area if you simply condensed those down. Add more dividers and dedicate a section to the dado. I do basically what you have done but in a drawer under the extension table.

Rich Engelhardt
08-08-2011, 6:59 AM
My Freud SD206 came in a plastic case. It wouldn't be all that difficult to duplicate it in wood or hardboard. Next time you're in Lowes you might want to check it out as I believe Lowes still stocks the set.

I'm still putting together the blade drawer I made for my other blades. It's built into a shelf unit that sits on top of my shop vac/Thien seperator cart.

I'm curious. What is that on top of the Werner step scaffold?
I have one of those Werner's in the garage, but it's folded up and just taking up space. I'd love to put it to some use (other than a step ladder) when I'm not using it.

Jerome Hanby
08-08-2011, 9:01 AM
My SD208 and box joint sets came in the same kind of impact resistant case. I hang mine on pegboard hooks. Wonder if you can buy those case from Freud? I would think any dado set would fit them...

Jamie Buxton
08-08-2011, 9:10 AM
My Freud 6" set came in a huge plastic box. The thing was like 12"x12"x6". Space is a premium at my shop. So I built a smaller box. It is 1/4" plywood, and is about 7"x7"x1". It is five-sided; it has only one of the 7x7 faces. In the middle, there is a stud that emulates the arbor on the saw. The dado set parts go on it. There is a bolt-and-washer that threads into the stud to hold the parts on the stud, just like the arbor nut holds the parts on the saw's arbor. Compact, easy to use, and took maybe twenty mintues to make.

Greg Peterson
08-08-2011, 9:52 AM
Thanks guys. Some idea's I had not considered. Just what I was seeking.

Rich - That is my rabbet fence laying face down on the scaffold. The scaffold is soon to be folded up and stored away properly. It's replacement will be of similar dimensions but will have casters, a MDF top and a fold down wing on each side. When I need to break down sheet goods or need a second assembly surface, this unit with wings extended can provide close to a four foot wide surface. For eight foot lengths the scaffold come in handy. Plus it makes a hand place to store the fence.

Kent A Bathurst
08-08-2011, 11:16 AM
My version......underneath the stairs leading up from the basement workshop

Greg Peterson
08-08-2011, 3:15 PM
Kent, Excellent idea.

Doug Colombo
08-08-2011, 3:23 PM
Great looking blade holder !

Kent A Bathurst
08-08-2011, 4:12 PM
Kent, Excellent idea.

Thnx, Greg - works OK - it is 3' from the TS, and uses room that is kinda not useable. The right-hand side of the cabinet has all the 10" TS and 12" CMS blades.

What I did not show....under each blade is a 3/4" dia hole, so I can push up from below to lift each blade. I also did not show the blood stain from where I lifted the first blade before I drilled those holes. :D

Wayne Hendrix
08-08-2011, 9:17 PM
Either Wood or Fine Woodworking had several simple plans for saw blade storage that excellent ideas for dado blades, including the all the chippers and shims.

Kent Wagner
08-11-2011, 12:23 AM
Either Wood or Fine Woodworking had several simple plans for saw blade storage that excellent ideas for dado blades, including the all the chippers and shims.

An episode of "The Woodsmith Shop" #408: Blade and Bit Storage had a fairly nice home built case similar to what Wayne's talking about. Plans for it are on their site: woodsmithshop.com

Kent Wagner
08-11-2011, 4:03 PM
If you're interested in a self contained case you can carry back and forth to your saw, probably similar to what Wayne mentioned, an episode of "The Woodsmith Shop", season 4 #408-Blade and Bit storage featured one as a project. The plans can be downloaded at woodsmithshop.com.