PDA

View Full Version : Couple of contest chunks

Jim Burr
08-07-2011, 9:14 PM
These are a few pieces that were entered in the WTA contest.
Navajo Wedding basket that I have about 40-50 hours in, and a Mesquite HF with redwood cap and epoxy ring. HF pic are sad as usual, but the basket came out ok!
C&C used on the next ones and thanks for looking!

John Keeton
08-07-2011, 9:19 PM
Nice work, Jim! You obviously paid close attention to Jim Adkins' tutorial! I like that vase, too - interesting treatment of the opening - some nice color.

Jim Burr
08-07-2011, 9:43 PM
Thanks John...this is a different concept from the tutorial...unfortunately!! Instead of using a degree wheel, the segments are bisected with a divider. Close attention was paid to the gap in the lines which is a tribal design as well as the coloring. If my photo skills were better...after all this time, they are not, the Mesquite would look a lot better!

Steve Schlumpf
08-07-2011, 10:19 PM
Very impressed with the Navajo wedding basket! Great design!

Cool looking HF! I like your idea of closing off the opening to prying fingers!! Bet the inside of it was sanded to 600 grit before you added the lid!!

Bernie Weishapl
08-07-2011, 11:09 PM
Very impressive Navajo piece Jim. HF looks good and I do like the form.

Scott Hackler
08-07-2011, 11:20 PM
Nice work Jim.

David E Keller
08-07-2011, 11:59 PM
Nicely done, Jim! Best of luck in the contest!

Mark Hubl
08-08-2011, 10:39 AM
These are nice. The basket came out well, lot of work. Good luck!

charlie knighton
08-08-2011, 11:50 AM
very nice Jim, i like both pieces but am partial to hf and love mesquite, espically with worm holes. that epoxy rim, is that sort of what Marilyn Campbell does with resin??? i have the opportunity to see her in november

mike ash
08-08-2011, 12:09 PM
Jim - You did a great job on both projects, but I especially like the wedding basket.

Mike

Faust M. Ruggiero
08-08-2011, 12:46 PM
First of all, may I wish you good luck in the contest. Of course, I wish that to all contestants because all the work is so good. I have my favorites but will keep them to myself. Your work on the basket is exceptional. I like the hollow form but the basket steals the show.
faust

Baxter Smith
08-08-2011, 9:28 PM
Great work on both Jim!

Jeff Nicol
08-08-2011, 9:49 PM
Jim, Lots of work in the basket piece and a test for the hands,eyes and patience of a turner! The HF's top leaves me a bit wanting something more, it either needs a raised small neck or an indent to bring the eye to a finish. Also maybe the curve to the top is a little flat and does not flow, but my opinion means squat when you get great reviews at the contest.

Good luck and thanks for sharing,

Jeff

Michelle Rich
08-09-2011, 6:59 AM
very impressive basket with nice color . A lot of work there. Good job & I hope you enjoy the process enuf to make more to share with us