PDA

View Full Version : 4 1/2h

Tom McMahon
02-19-2005, 3:44 PM
If you have ever read Patrick Leach's Blood & Gore he refers to a 4 1/2H and a 5 1/2H. The H stands for heavy. I have been buying, useing,collecting and selling stanley planes for over 25 years and have never even seen a picture of one. Has any body elese out there ever seen one, or have one to post a picture of for us. If they exist there has to be one somewere. Look at all the #1's that have come out of the woodwork since that "auction site" came into being, they used to be rare. other than the two heavies I had the most trouble fining a 2c, but finally found one.

John Weber
02-19-2005, 4:27 PM
Tom,

No clue, but lets see some more pics of your collection.

John

Jim DeLaney
02-19-2005, 5:36 PM
If you have ever read Patrick Leach's Blood & Gore he refers to a 4 1/2H and a 5 1/2H. The H stands for heavy. I have been buying, useing,collecting and selling stanley planes for over 25 years and have never even seen a picture of one. Has any body elese out there ever seen one...

Like you, I've never seen a 'heavy.'

Somewhere in the B&G, though, Patrick opines that the wartime castings (WWII) were as heavy, or heavier, than the "H" planes.

I do have two 4½ Wartime production planes, and can attest that they're much heavier (40-50% ?) than earlier or later made planes. I've kinda come to prefer the war-years planes because of that. BTW, they're generally a bit cheaper to acquire than otheres, but they do require wood replacement (if you're a user and not a collector) to be 'aestherically pleasing...'

James Mittlefehldt
02-19-2005, 6:51 PM
Okay Tom now you have to do a thread and explain what each plane is for, or are you really a collector, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Actually I have never come across a Stanley H either, but then I have not as yet found a No. 1, 2, or three. Then I spoke to one of the guys from Shepard Tools a couple of years ago at the wood show in Toronto and he claimed they routinely find infill planes at flea markets, HAAAAAAAAAAAAA, I say.

Steve Wargo
02-19-2005, 7:46 PM
Her is a post I found on another forum.

"For example, the
4 1/2 is a very heavy tool and is often mistaken for
the 4 1/2H which is worth considerably more ($50-125
vs. $400-600). The H was only sold in England and it
is VERY unlikely you'll find one anywhere other than
a tool meet. "

And here is a link to a picture of one. It is -

http://www.trindersfinetools.co.uk/tlatest.htm

Kind of makes sense since the link is to a U.K site. Hope this helps.

</pre>

John Dingman
02-19-2005, 10:31 PM
Just look at the thickness of the sole on that plane. I have a No 4 1/2 Type 17 and I thought it was thick.

http://www.trindersfinetools.co.uk/t709.jpg

And by the way.........thanks for posting pics of all your planes! Anytime my wife thinks I've got it real bad, I can show her pictures like that and my meger arsenal doesn't look so bad. :D

John

Tom McMahon
02-19-2005, 11:36 PM
tell her that this is only one of each 1 thru 8 1 thru8c all the a's and s's a40 and a40 1/2 it does not include duplicates or bedrocks. what slippery slope I didn't see any slippery slope. Thanks for the picture at least now I have seen a picture.

Tom McMahon
02-20-2005, 12:01 AM
Sorry these are the only other pictures I have right now. One hase more planes and one has some of my chisels and carving tools.