PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using DT's flutless gouge?

Bill Bolen
08-07-2011, 8:04 PM
Been on Dough's site and am wondering about the 5/8 flutless gouge. I'm told it does a fine job onthe bottom of bowls offering a high shear angle. Anyone using one who can give some details and maybe a photo?

John Keeton
08-07-2011, 8:49 PM
Bill, Reed Gray has one, and he posted comments about it in your recent thread, and also in a previous thread a few weeks ago. There was a discussion then about the profile, etc.

I will be interested in seeing what comments you get.

Reed Gray
08-07-2011, 11:07 PM
I actually have a couple of them now. I was turning a rectangular piece of big leaf maple that was very figured and dry. If you haven't done that, it is very prone to tear out. Wet it down and you can tame it. Well, I used the fluteless gouge, and it took care of it without having to wet the wood. Thing is that you can work it at a very high angle while holding the gouge horizontal. The higher the shear angle, the cleaner the cut. Great through the transition and across the bottom. Main bevel is at 60 degrees, and second bevel (heel of the bevel relief) is about 45 degrees. I have used in end grain on spindles and tops. Works very well there as well. Also great for coves and beads, though for a lot of beads, I would make it more pointy, which would make it like what the Sorby Spindle Master should have been. I need to do a lot more experimenting with it. It is not a scraper, the round bottom would make it prone to rocking over. If you leave the burr on, you can use it like a scraper in a shear cutting mode and pull, non bevel rubbing cut on the inside rim of a bowl. You can also do the same cut on the outside of the bowl with the burr. I haven't tried too much, but would think that just sharpening the top flat surface of the tool would keep the edge fresh.

robo hippy