PDA

View Full Version : What do I need?

Tom Winship
08-07-2011, 6:27 PM
I have done some spindle and pen work over the years and would like to learn to turn bowls. At some point move into live edge and other vessels. I have a Jet 1236 lathe approximately 12 years old with maybe 200 hours on it.

Where should I start?

1. Lathe accessories? (Chucks, screw face plates, etc.)
2. Turning tools. (Brand names (please don't get into x vx. y, just what you would buy).
3. Training (Schools, you tube, DVD's, Books)

Just want to progress, not go buys some stuff and realize I shouldn't have.

Thanks in advance.

Roger Chandler
08-07-2011, 6:47 PM
Tom,

You will need a 4-jaw scroll chuck, bowl gouges and of course a good DVD will be invaluable. I would recommend Bill Grumbines video on bowl making, or Mike Mahoney's........both are good and will teach you the basics. I like your signature line very much..........I hope more will take it seriously! :)

James Combs
08-07-2011, 7:10 PM
Ditto what Roger said especially your signature line.

Marc Himes
08-07-2011, 7:32 PM
Good advice from James and Roger. You mentioned training and if you are willing to go to a course,I would consider Arrowmont in Tenn., John C. Campbell in North Carolina and Crafts supplied in Utah, not to mention many of the others around the country. A basic bowl turning course would be one of the most efficient and enjoyable ways to learn you can find. I have been to the first two places and thoroughly enjoyed them both. Good Luck.

Tom Winship
08-07-2011, 9:33 PM
Thanks guys. Can you recommend size and mfg. of bowl gouges? Also, what is a good chuck? All of these I would want to last as I progress into more difficult work.

As far as my signature line, we can use some for rain down here. Animals are getting desperate. Friends who have cattle are culling and selling for the second time, trying to hang on until some rain comes. No hay or grass. Hauling water because tanks have dried up. I am 68 and I keep hearing about the 50's but don't remember it this bad.

Keep the faith.........

Roger Chandler
08-07-2011, 9:39 PM
Tom,

I have 3 nova chucks........it depends on what spindle size you have.........but I like the super nova 2, as it is a good quality, and reasonably priced chuck, and has a lot of different jaw options you can get to use it on different size turnings. You will need an adapter for it to fit your spindle size.....very important!

As far as gouges go.........a good starter gouge is the Benjamins best bowl gouge ......from Penn State Industries.......I like the 1/2 inch size as it is good all around........even the 3/8" size is pretty good as well..........if you have the funds, the go with some from Doug Thompson tools.......great metals and long lasting sharpness.

You will need a means of sharpening it as well if you do not have a grinder at present..........a wolverine set up is pretty standard with turners, but you can make a home made version from wood if you need to for a while.

Marty Eargle
08-07-2011, 9:41 PM
Also, something that isn't mentioned often but is an invaluable resource (at least to myself) is Youtube. Most of the more prominent turning instructors keep their videos in DVD form, but there are some folks on Youtube that have really helped my technique. Though there are also users who seem to use every tool they have incorrectly. ;)

Allen Howell
08-07-2011, 9:54 PM
Another very important piece of equipment (maybe more so than others) is a good faceshield. Safety first!

Dick Wilson
08-07-2011, 10:17 PM
let the vortex begin!!!!!