PDA

View Full Version : Keepsake Box

Trevor Walsh
08-07-2011, 4:30 PM
Here's a dovetailed keepsake box I just finished. I built a bench on bench and had to start using it. The case is spruce and butternut, poplar bottom and spalted beech lid. Finish is shellac and wax. I still have to get some threaded brass rod to attach the lid, but it's almost there.

Gordon Eyre
08-07-2011, 11:59 PM
Nice tight dovetails, well done.

Trevor Walsh
08-08-2011, 12:55 PM
Thanks Gordon.

Mike Allen1010
08-08-2011, 5:14 PM
Very nice Trevor -- great execution!

How was the spalted beech to work with edge tools/hand planes etc.? I've never worked with it but have always wanted to try.

Best regards, Mike

Trevor Walsh
08-08-2011, 5:44 PM
Mike, the one side (up) was more solid than the rest. Those white/light areas are punky, but not bad. It planed well as it's a bit softer than regular beech. The bottom side, which is more spalted worked easily. Fresh and finely set tools are really important on the beech. I recommend you play with some, it planes very fluffy, and leaves a silky surface behind. Wonderful wood, I think it could be comparable to maple in use, fences, runners etc. but has a much warmer color and fine texture.

Sean Hughto
08-08-2011, 6:42 PM
Good lookin little box. Those uncomplicated (relative to say a secretary) projects can be really rewarding. Good fairly quick gratification.