PDA

View Full Version : Dye Job

John Altberg
08-07-2011, 10:42 AM
Wanted to make pens for my sons in their school colors (UW Huskies, Western Vikings) but could not find any blanks that were correct. Decided to dye my own instead. I am more than pleased with the results and am looking forward to further experiments with dyes. This curly maple really popped!

Steve Schlumpf
08-07-2011, 10:46 AM
Nice work on both pens John! I love to use dye - especially on curly because of the same results you found here - really makes the curl pop!

Have fun with it! Looking forward to seeing what you turn next!

Eric Holmquist
08-07-2011, 10:51 AM
Dye is great fun in curly wood! Looks like you had some fun and got good results!

Bernie Weishapl
08-07-2011, 11:25 AM
The pens look great as does the dye on the pens. Great results.

David E Keller
08-07-2011, 11:51 AM
Nicel done, John! Figured boxelder is another great choice for the dye treatment.

Mark Hubl
08-07-2011, 1:47 PM
Nice pens, maple just seems to love dye. They really popped well.

Jim Burr
08-07-2011, 1:56 PM
Beautiful John!! You made a great choice using maple! What kind of dye did you use...any special prep? Good work dad!!

James Combs
08-07-2011, 2:02 PM
Very nice John. I've got to get me some of those pen kits. Can you provide the style name.

Donny Lawson
08-07-2011, 2:06 PM
Great looking pens. The dye job is very nice.

John Keeton
08-07-2011, 2:48 PM
Beautiful color - I would say you should be pleased with these!

Joe Landon
08-07-2011, 4:54 PM
Great job turning and dyeing the pens. Your sons ought to be proud. What did you use as a final finish?

John Altberg
08-07-2011, 6:31 PM
Great job turning and dyeing the pens. Your sons ought to be proud. What did you use as a final finish?

I borrowed Ken Fitzgerald's finish for bottle stoppers. BLO, de-waxed shellac and brushing lacquer, all frictioned on in order and quick succession.

Nicel done, John! Figured boxelder is another great choice for the dye treatment.

Excellent! I have a lot of that in the garage!

Beautiful John!! You made a great choice using maple! What kind of dye did you use...any special prep? Good work dad!!

Used fabric dye from Dharma Trading mixed per the instructions for tie dying. Much less expensive than the trans tint wood dyes. No special prep - sanded to 1500 and frictioned the dye on, too! (I like quick and easy - hope it holds!)

http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/3796-AA.shtml?lnav=dyes.html

Very nice John. I've got to get me some of those pen kits. Can you provide the style name.

A real nice kit as it lets the wood speak rather being obscured by a bunch of frills. Available from Craft Supplies.

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Pen_Making___Ballpoint_Pen_Kits___Clicker_Pen_Kit_ __clicker_pen?Args=

Thanks, all, for you kind comments. Best of all, the boys really like them!