PDA

View Full Version : Finned Hedge

Scott Hackler
08-06-2011, 11:47 PM
This is another one of my finned bowls. This style is still stuck in my head and there are a few more on the bench waiting to be pierced and finished!

This is likely my exchange piece for the WoW get together at SWAT. A little smaller than I was planning but I am pleased at the overall results.

Osage Orange (hedge). 4" x 1 3/4", fin is about 1/16" thick. Finished with several coats of lacquer, knocked down and Ren Wax (hand buffed).

Comments and critiques are always welcome. Thanks for looking.

Tim Thiebaut
08-07-2011, 12:45 AM
Scott this style that you have been posting is great, very unique and creative, that wood is beautiful. I hardly ever give a critique as most of you here are far better then I am obviously, but there is one thing about this I want to comment on, the bowl itself is perfect, the sanding and finish is top notch...it dosnt get any better then that, and I am sure you spent a great deal of time pierceing the fin that gives it such a unique look and style, but the top edge of the fin looks uneven and choppy, like there are dips and valleys that may have been able to be sanded out...then again maybe the burner did that when you were detailing the top of the fin...it just looks like it needs to be sanded down evenly to me is all.

Bernie Weishapl
08-07-2011, 12:46 AM
Scott that is a beauty. I really like that form and the creativity of the piece.

Scott Hackler
08-07-2011, 12:54 AM
Your right, Tim, the burner did that to the edge. I think its a lot more noticable in the picture than in person. That is something that I haven't quite found a work around. I am thinking for the next one I should apply a texture with the burner instead of just burning the edge to make it blackThanks for the comments.

John Keeton
08-07-2011, 8:32 AM
Scott, very nice work - and, a neat series. I think the descriptive term "finned" doesn't convey the proper mental image of this piece, though, and while I am presently at a loss for a better term, I would offer as a suggestion that some other term be used. "Collared" doesn't seem right either - "hooded" might. Just a thought.

On the rim - and I have never tried this - I wonder if, prior to thinning and piercing, and while there is mass there, could one "press" a texture on the piece by rolling a wallpaper seam roller over a piece of 60 grit sandpaper? Then, instead of burning it, it could be blackened with dye or acrylic paint. Or, one could use Titebond on the edge, and add sand - then blacken it. Like I said, I have never tried either of these methods, but just trying to think of a way to avoid the uneven edge.

Eric Holmquist
08-07-2011, 8:45 AM
Very nice design concept and execution. It all comes together well, the wood, the piercing and the form.

Jim Burr
08-07-2011, 9:07 AM
I love the texture of the bowl Scott. Do you carve the fin seperatly and attach it or turn as a single piece and carve it that way? Really well done!

charlie knighton
08-07-2011, 10:21 AM
Scott, i really like your finned series. very nice

Finished with several coats of lacquer, knocked down what do you do to knock down the lacquer???

Steve Schlumpf
08-07-2011, 10:35 AM
Very nice work Scott! Someone in the WOW camp is going to be very happy to receive it!

Agree with John, finned doesn't really do the bowl justice. My first thought was of a veil...

Thanks for sharing!

Tim Thiebaut
08-07-2011, 11:32 AM
Agree with John, finned doesn't really do the bowl justice. My first thought was of a veil...

Thanks for sharing!

hhmmm....or possibly a Lattice Rimmed Vessel...I dont know just throwing it out there.

Jon Nuckles
08-07-2011, 11:39 AM
I like this series, Scott, whatever you choose to call it. When I saw fin in the title, I was expecting something like the piece John Beaver posted recently. If you turned this upside down, it would resemble a brim or a veil, but those don't really convey a sense of something lighter that goes up from the main body. Maybe a tiara? Anyway, what's in a name? Nice piece.

Scott Hackler
08-07-2011, 11:42 AM
Hmmm. Maybe veiled is the correct description... :)

The biggest problem with the light variations in the top of the pierced part, was the way the grain reacts to the wood burner tip. It is NOT consistant and I think that if I burn the edge on the others I will apply a likely apply a textured pattern. Or I might just color it some way. Without the blackened edge it seemed unfinished.

Jim, this is one piece of wood. I turn a bowl form with taller sides, then thin down the desired portion of the future pierced piece, sketch the transition curve in pencil, remove the parts I don't want with a air saw and clean up the edge and transition area with a rotary sander.

Charlie, My finish these days consist of spray lacquer (3-4 coats) and then after its fully dry (usually the next day) I knock down the shine with 0000 steel wool. A little Ren wax and hand buffing with a thick shop paper towel. Hedge is so darn dense and hard I dont use a sanding sealer, but other woods I use a homemade mix of 40% shellac / 60% Dna. After that dries it gets steel wooled or 400 grit sanded, before the lacquer.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Faust M. Ruggiero
08-07-2011, 11:46 AM
Scott,
This is another addition to a very fine series. You make that hedge look like an exotic wood. Keep them coming.
faust

Mark Hubl
08-07-2011, 1:55 PM
I like what you are doing with these. Considering the wood that you are working with the piercing and burning is quite good. I don't know how it would work on the osage, but you may want to mount a dowel in your lathe and try using it to burnish the edge. It may make it brown and smooth, then again it may throw it across the shop. Do it before piercing.:D I think there is a lot of possibilities for this if you keep thinking veil, lot of form challenges! Have at it.

Scott Hackler
08-07-2011, 2:05 PM
lol, thats a good idea Mark. I will experiment with that idea and definitely do it BEFORE piercing!