PDA

View Full Version : Delta JT360....switch wiring???

George Farra
08-06-2011, 8:11 PM
Hi Everyone

I need to replace the power switch on my Delta jointer. Instead of buying a new cheap replacement from delta or a router table paddle type switch from rockler......can I buy a 20 amp wall switch from HD and mount it in a box on the machine???? I disassembled the factory switch and there are 2 black leads in the back of the switch. There is are also 2 green wires that are screwed to the metal base of the switch assembly.

Can I assume that the green wires are the ground?? Would they both be wired to the single ground screw on the 20a wall switch?? Anyone have the wiring diagram for this machine?

Thank you

George

mickey cassiba
08-06-2011, 9:04 PM
I have the wiring diagram. PM sent
And yes, you've got a good plan...the original switch is junk.

Rod Sheridan
08-07-2011, 3:46 PM
George, replacing your existing switch with a standard light switch is not a good plan.

You will need a horsepower rated switch, rated at or greater than your machine HP at the voltage you're using.

Go to an electrical supplier (not a BORG) and purchase a manual motor starter without overload (switch) rated for the motor HP..............Regards, Rod.

George Farra
08-08-2011, 11:43 AM
Hi Ron

Need some clarification. I thought I need to use a switch that can handle amerage draw of the motor, which in my case is 13 amps according to the plate on the motor. Its rated at 3/4HP, which I assume is at the full 13 amp load. If I am using a 20 amp wall switch I assumed I would be fine. Please clarify if this is not the case. Before purchasing the wall switch I searched on Grizzly's website for replacement switches and they do rate thier switches with both HP and amperage......they have 20amp switches rather well above 3/4HP....so thus I'm confused.

TIA

George

Rod Sheridan
08-08-2011, 12:43 PM
Hi, if the switch is not marked with a horsepower rating it isn't suitable for motor loads.

Motors have electrical characteristics which require special switches................Regards, Rod.