PDA

View Full Version : Thin veneer type material for inlay - where to get?

Mike vonBuelow
08-06-2011, 8:03 PM
So I'm looking for thin (1/16" or less) material that I can cut shapes out of for inlay color.

I was told that IPI rotary engraver's plastic is not vector cuttable - can anyone suggest other plastics (or other like material) that is?

Would prefer stuff that looks metallic, glossy, shimmery, and/or organic (thinking like ivory or abalone) finishes?

Post or IM is fine

Thanks!

Joe Pelonio
08-06-2011, 9:03 PM
Rowmark has a variety of materials that fit this description, look on their website or check in with your local dealer. The place I use in Seattle usually has to order the thinner specialty items, but it comes in a day or two. There are woodgrains,
granites and metals all available in 1/16" single ply, some even 1/32.

http://www.rowmark.com/laser/Laser_Engravable_Materials.asp

Mike Null
08-07-2011, 7:29 AM
Mike

I've used laserable plastic for inlay. I used the core rather than the surface and installed it just a little proud of the wood surface so that I could sand and polish it. Then I finished the piece with spray on or wipe on varnish.

The example is a lid for a box I made more than 10 years ago.

Mark Conde
08-08-2011, 12:38 AM
Wood veneer is great for inlay. It vector cuts very well. Check out Certainlywoods.
Maple veneer performs very well and can be stained/dyed fairly easily.

Mike vonBuelow
08-09-2011, 8:32 AM
Mike,

That is exactly what I'm looking to do... with unique materials, especially organic (like the previously referenced ivory & abalone, and Joe's idea of granite)

What is the plastic you used?

Mark,

Since my product will be on/in wood, wood veneer would not be used. Sorry, should have clarified that in my first post.

Mike Null
08-09-2011, 9:43 AM
Mike

That was IPI white surface red core 1/16".

Mike Null
08-09-2011, 10:23 AM
Mike

You may save a lot of time by doing a search on "inlay". There have been numerous threads on the subject including this one.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/archive/index.php/t-138543.html?