PDA

View Full Version : We Knew Those Chickens Were Up To Something…

Jim Koepke
08-06-2011, 6:34 PM
About a week ago we started getting our first eggs from our hens. Not in regular production, but just an egg or two here and there, then nothing.

Being suspicious, we were looking all around the yard and whenever we spotted a hen coming out of a different spot, we would poke around in the tall grass or bushes, still nothing.

I hadn't been doing a lot in the greenhouse. The chickens decided many of the plants in the greenhouse are tasty and therefore meant to be eaten.

We have caged off some plants and others are about to be harvested, love that savory, lovage and tarragon.

So today I am working in the greenhouse and noticed one of the hens roosting. Candy said she saw another cackling to beat the band in another spot. Took a look and found the mother lode.

I went to find something to put in the nests, found a couple of golf balls. I hadn't even gotten the eggs into the house when one of The Sister Hens jumped in and left a deposit. (Rocky & The Sister Hens are Plymouth Barred Rocks, The Sister Hens have that name because they are about identical. We bought a few each of about 4 breads.)

A box without hinge or lid
Inside a golden treasure hid

Well, 3 dozen hidden treasures:

jtk

--What is an egg Alex. I'll take farm animal riddles for $500.

Scott T Smith
08-06-2011, 8:54 PM
Jim, congratulations on your first harvest! There's nothing like farm fresh eggs, especially with steak and hash browns!

We got our first chickens about 9 years ago, and have had them ever since. Right now we're up around 60 hens and about 30 guineas; it vascilates a bit depending upon the fox and hawk activity. We have a little farm stand out by the road and sell a two to three dozen every day on the honor system.

Aracauna's are good layers too, and they produce green to blue colored eggs.

Enjoy!

Scott