PDA

View Full Version : Fireplace Box - Part 2

Tom Scott
02-19-2005, 1:58 PM
This is basically the same as the previous box I posted, except that this one made from cherry instead of maple.
Same as before, handcut dovetails and carved lettering.
This is a fun little project for someone learning either dovetailing, carving, or both.

Tom

Jim Becker
02-19-2005, 4:01 PM
You're welcome to part that puppy in my house, Tom, although I suspect it will need to be turned around to avoid questions, such as, "Scott who?" :D

(Wonderful job!!)

Jeff Sudmeier
02-19-2005, 6:01 PM
Tom, that is VERY nice looking!! Almost too good to be a Fireplace box :)

Lou Morrissette
02-19-2005, 6:23 PM
Tom,

Very nice job on both the DT and carving.

Lou

John Shuk
02-19-2005, 6:42 PM
Once again...he shoots...he scores! I really love it.

Dan Moening
02-19-2005, 7:18 PM
Maybe its the warm tones of the Cherry, but I like this one even better than the first.

Are the DTs smaller and farther apart as well?

Excellent execution!

Martin Shupe
02-21-2005, 1:14 AM
Very nice, Tom...looks like the one on CH Becksvoort's website.

Another project to add to my long list (sigh).

Could I ask the dimensions and the finish you used?

Pam Niedermayer
02-21-2005, 2:36 AM
Great looking box, Tom, love the molding and handles, too.

Pam

Rob Littleton
02-21-2005, 9:15 AM
My name can be Scott for that one :-)

Thats a little beaut.........

David Fried
02-21-2005, 9:53 AM
Amazing the effect dovetails have on things, even a simple box. Looks Great!

Dave "Scott" Fried

Tom Scott
02-21-2005, 1:54 PM
Very nice, Scott...looks like the one on CH Becksvoort's website.

Another project to add to my long list (sigh).

Could I ask the dimensions and the finish you used?

Martin, good call. These were based on Becksvoort's. I didn't know they were on his web site...I looked but couldn't find them. They are in his catalog, though, and I filed this away a few years ago when I saw it. Dimensions are roughly the same as his.

Finish was a coat of BLO, followed by a few wiped on coats of an oil/varnish blend, and final coat of wax.

The sad part is that I don't have one for my own house, something I need to remedy to keep other house members happy.

Tom

Martin Shupe
02-21-2005, 9:10 PM
Tom,

You are correct, I miss-typed. The box is not on his website, but in the brochure I got from him a while back. I am building something similar for magazine storage in the den. Except mine will be a small version of a Shaker blanket chest, just big enough to stand magazines in. Don't ask me when it will be finished, as I am way behind, and gone from home all too often.

Anyway, great job. I need to learn how to carve letters, but right now I don't carve at all. Is it very hard? I think I saw a class for that at Marc Adams. Did you take a class, or teach yourself?

Sorry about calling you "Scott" in the first post...I changed it with an edit, but it is still in the quote, so I am busted! :eek:

Again, beautiful design and workmanship.

Tom Scott
02-22-2005, 11:06 AM
Tom,

You are correct, I miss-typed. The box is not on his website, but in the brochure I got from him a while back. I am building something similar for magazine storage in the den. Except mine will be a small version of a Shaker blanket chest, just big enough to stand magazines in. Don't ask me when it will be finished, as I am way behind, and gone from home all too often.

Anyway, great job. I need to learn how to carve letters, but right now I don't carve at all. Is it very hard? I think I saw a class for that at Marc Adams. Did you take a class, or teach yourself?

Sorry about calling you "Scott" in the first post...I changed it with an edit, but it is still in the quote, so I am busted! :eek:

Again, beautiful design and workmanship.

Similar to the rest of my woodworking...there was no formal instruction on carving. Just reading (Chris Pye's Lettercarving in Wood), one video (Nora Hall), and help from those on the web who know a whole lot more than me. Lettering was not really difficult. It is something that you can get better than acceptable results on your first try. I will put it in the category with dovetailing by hand...looks more difficult than it really is. That said, the only carving I've done is lettering which must be the easiest of the carving skills to learn. I don't hold any illusions of becoming a master carver.

Tom