PDA

View Full Version : Kathy's Beautiful Vase

John Hart
08-06-2011, 5:12 PM
Ok...maybe that's a bit arrogant...But it is made from Kathy Marshall's wonderful gift of Mesquite, and it is my Beauty for the contest (although I'm not allowed to enter :()

But nevertheless, I FINALLY got a decent chunk of time to get out in the shop and finish this.

It's Mesquite....11.5" High by 5.5 Wide....Finished with spray poly.
(By the way...that spray poly just might become a staple with me!! Shhhhh...don't tell the lacquer :))

Kathy Marshall
08-06-2011, 5:22 PM
Looks like I logged in just in time to be the 1st responder!
Beautiful vase John! That had to be a challenge hollowing the shoulder area through that small hole! You did my wood proud! I like the soft finish, I think it works well with mesquite.

John Keeton
08-06-2011, 5:31 PM
John, you certainly ended up with a fine piece this time! I love this form, and the mesquite really looks great - very warm color and not at all what I expected from it. I need to get to work on turning the piece I got from Kathy!!!

Nate Davey
08-06-2011, 5:32 PM
And a beauty it is John. Love the classical form.

Tim Thiebaut
08-06-2011, 6:24 PM
Very nice John, I really like the form, and that wood is beautiful!! I Have a few pieces of mine prepped on glue blocks and ready to go, got them setup this past week in between other things, looking forward to giving it a shot myself...

charlie knighton
08-06-2011, 7:50 PM
very nice, thanks for sharing

Jerry Wright
08-06-2011, 8:32 PM
John - very nice. Not only a nice form, but it works well with the wood. Based on my location, I am not at all familiar with mesquite (except for smoking meat!!), but from the images, it looks very much like walnut, especially the open grain pattern. How does it turn? Great piece!

Scott Hackler
08-06-2011, 8:55 PM
Nice work John. I just turned my chunk of mesquite and then I swept up and bagged all the shavings for the next couple rib cooking adventure!! :)

John Hart
08-06-2011, 9:18 PM
Thanks everyone!! Truly a pleasure to turn this. The beauty is, I still have another piece left from Kathy's gift!!! :)

Jerry....mesquite turns like butter. Even a sharpening moron like m'self can enjoy a good jaunt through a piece of mesquite. And like Scott says...the shavings are perfect for the barbeque.
The behavior is closer to mahogany than walnut.

A real joy. :)

Harvey Ghesser
08-06-2011, 9:27 PM
Love the form, John. Maybe someday I'll take the plunge, in the meantime, I can admire yours and everyone else's work.

Bernie Weishapl
08-06-2011, 10:24 PM
Beautiful John. Really like the form on this one. Good to see ya got some turning time.

Baxter Smith
08-06-2011, 10:34 PM
Great form and great piece of wood John. Looks like it might be a bit tippy. Lucky it didn't inhale any lacquer.:)

Billy Tallant
08-06-2011, 10:37 PM
Outstanding work. That mesquite looks great!

John Hart
08-07-2011, 8:29 AM
Thanks again y'all!!:)

Baxter, I agree that it has the appearance of being a bit tippy. I noticed that the smaller the base, and the more graceful you get to that base, the more people like them...so I was kinda shootin' for that. I even thought about going with a rounded, zero foot kinda thing and maybe suspending it in some fish net or macrame' or something. But laziness and the lack of fishnet won the day.:o
My wall thickness is a bit heavier than usual on this, which added some weight, and it's surprisingly not tippy. I'm sure an earthquake would take her out though. ;)

Mark Hubl
08-07-2011, 3:35 PM
Beautiful form. I really like the shape, so classic, tall and slender. Really nice job.

Hopefully the Poly is not waterborne, your posts just won't be the same without the fun of VOC's!

Roger Chandler
08-07-2011, 4:47 PM
John,

Superb turning! I think the curve to the bottom is too vertical....needs more of a sweep to the bottom with about an inch more foot surface diameter................beautiful wood, very well crafted by your hands..........I just think the foot is a bit pointy for this one.............and could use a bit more diameter on the way down to the foot.......just my $0.02, and may be worth less than that!

Marc Himes
08-07-2011, 7:49 PM
Very nice John. I like the classical form and the broad, thin rim.

John Hart
08-09-2011, 6:48 AM
Thanks so much everyone!! I love the feedback! (seein's how I'm not very well versed in identifying beauty...I kinda rely on everyone else ;))

Mark...Nope, the poly isn't that water-based stuff. Tried it once.....lame. And I really don't think the lacquer is in danger of being extinct!! :)

Roger...I see where you're going. I'll have to give that a whirl the next time around!! :)