PDA

View Full Version : First bandsaw Box

David Fried
02-19-2005, 1:51 PM
Picked up a book on bandsaw boxes and decided to give it a try. I found a piece of Cherry in the scrap bin of my local wood supplier and made three 3.5x4x12 blocks out of it. The pictures are of the first box. I think this is the first time I've tried cutting curves on the bandsaw. Great practice. The book recommends a 3/16 blade, which I just purchased, but I used the blade that came with the saw for this box. The blade looks like it's 3/8. I hope the new, smaller blade will make cutting the curves easier.

This is also my first attempt at flocking. That went better than I expected!

Thanks for looking.

Jeff Sudmeier
02-19-2005, 3:14 PM
That is a great first box. I have always liked the bandsawn boxes, there is somthing very unique about them. Great job!

Silas Smith
02-19-2005, 3:45 PM
I like the open end design, was that a pattern? I have been interested in bandsaw boxes for a while now, but I have to learn how to do the square ones without messing up first!

Jim Becker
02-19-2005, 3:53 PM
That's really awesome, David. I also like the open-end design and it's likely a good way to start this particular art form...hmm...just might have to put a narrow blade on the ol' bandsaw and check this out!! <G>

David Fried
02-19-2005, 4:26 PM
I like the open end design, was that a pattern? I have been interested in bandsaw boxes for a while now, but I have to learn how to do the square ones without messing up first!

Messing up square boxes was the reason I went looking for something where I didn't need to be able to cut straight or have my mitres match up!

The book I bought, "Building Beautiful Boxes with Your Band Saw", by Lois Keener Ventura, does have patterns in the back. This design is based on one of those, "Surf". Unfortunately, the author uses a 4 x 4 x 9.5 block and mine came out to be 3.5" high and 12" long. So I copied the basic design, drawing it freehand on the block, but made it lower and longer to fit.

The book provides detailed, clear instructions with plenty of tips. Still, nothing prepared me for the amount of sanding this requires!

Now to dig out my compass and french curves and see what I can come up with!

Thanks for the nice comments!

Ted Shrader
02-19-2005, 5:53 PM
David -

That is a might fine first box. Neat design, too, with the open end.

What did you use to spray on the flocking?

Ted

David Fried
02-19-2005, 6:01 PM
David -

That is a might fine first box. Neat design, too, with the open end.

What did you use to spray on the flocking?

Ted

I picked up the flocking stuff at Woodcraft. I didn't want anything too fancy so I got the telescoping cardboard tubes as a sprayer. The end of the tube looks like a giant salt shaker. Rotating the smaller tube to keep the flocking loose while compressing the two tubes, as per the instructions, works well.
I used a brown paper grocery bag, ripped down on one side, as a spray booth.

I just didn't realize that the glue is colored to match the fluff. My first trip to the store I brought home blue glue and red fluff! Always seems to take me two trips to do one thing.

Lou Morrissette
02-19-2005, 6:20 PM
David,
Great looking box. I do a lot of band saw work doing intarsia and it can be a very versitile tool. I was browsing through that book at Rocklers and it seems like something I'd like to try. Your first attempt realy looks fantastic. Gotta give it a try.

Lou

Keith Christopher
02-19-2005, 10:36 PM
I love bandsaw boxes ! If you look on the scott phillips WWW site he has and excellent little bandsaw box, give it a try it's so nice. excellent work.